PDA

View Full Version : What body fat % for six pack to show?

a529612
05-24-2004, 07:15 PM
At what body fat level will you start to see six pack?

waterpro
05-25-2004, 12:49 PM
I thought I read somewhere that at around 15% you will start to see the top row of abs, 12% for the middle row, 9% for six pack and around 6% for an 8 pack. I could be wrong but I thought that is what I read somewhere.

ibelieveinliquidmetal
05-25-2004, 06:51 PM
six and eight packs are determined by genetics but 10% sounds like the right amount

Phil
05-25-2004, 08:54 PM
How about a 12-pack? No body fat limits for that-just reach in the cooler case and grab one, take to counter, pay and then enjoy.

Kirko
05-25-2004, 10:53 PM
"I believe in liquid metal" is dead on. use the abb wheel $5.00 @ Walmart.

perfmode
05-26-2004, 03:42 AM
I had a six pack last summer when I was working out. I have very little body fat year round so all i needed was to tighten up the area and get them bumping.

sonnylax
05-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Genetics, lots of work in the weight room, and a clean diet are the keys.

I was down to 8.5% bf and I didn't have any visible packs. I think I would have to go sub 6% for me to show any 6-pack development. I've heard 6 - 10% range for most folks for visable abs.

hifi heretic
05-28-2004, 07:15 AM
I have had quite visible abdominal muscles (ie., six packs) my entire life but have done little to deserve them. I eat what I want, do what I want and yet they've always just been there. ...I truly believe this is largely a genetic issue. I know many guys who have far greater stamina and better all around cardio health who DO NOT have visible abs.. Given my druthers, I'd rather be them.

I wouldn't worry so much about "six packs". ..Train to be healthy, that's the main thing.

Wens
07-13-2008, 06:51 PM
I think about 15% but I read (http://www.discussfitness.com/forums/f3/realistic-body-fat-goals-and-measurements-20861.html) it's really difficult to measure your real body fat as there are all kind of ways.

TommyC
07-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Around 12% +/- 3 I'd say.

It's not all genetics, but to the person saying they were sub 10% and didn't see any abs, I'd say you had very little muscle development in the abdominal area. It's true what they say that everyone has a 6 pack, whether it's covered with fat or not it's there. But if you were down to 8% and your abs weren't showing, you weren't working hard enough.

Yes, it's mostly genetics to have a 6-Pack without trying hard, but it's not mostly genetics to have one at all. Any determined person can get one, just their metabolism might make it more hard on them.

Not trying to advertise another website, and this is not my site in anyway--but loaded with information about nutrition, health and fitness. www.bodybuilding.com

They have forums for you to ask your questions and this site will help get you in the best shape of your life as well as best looking.

TommyC
07-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Due to this forum not allowing me to edit that post, I'm going to apologize for the double post.

Don't mistake the website being called BODYBUILDING.com for being only a bodybuilding site. They have articles on everything and everything, from triathlons to strongman competitions. And if you're thrown off by the title of the site, their sister site www.athletes.com will allow you break it down by sport so you can find sheer tennis-related training articles.

albino smurf
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
My yoga teacher has told me that a 6 pack is a sign of an imbalanced work out and is bad for your posture and back as your abs are pulling you into a hunched forward position. I have a strong core and well defined abs, but no 6 pack.

Also I remember as a kid it was an 8 pack everybody was going for.... anybody know what's up with that??

superman1
07-14-2008, 04:59 PM
My yoga teacher has told me that a 6 pack is a sign of an imbalanced work out and is bad for your posture and back as your abs are pulling you into a hunched forward position. I have a strong core and well defined abs, but no 6 pack.

Not true. Abs are actually extremely important for holding you upright. A 6 pack only means that you have very low body fat, which to me is only impressive if you're muscular all over. I'm not impressed at all by skinny weak guys who have six packs.

cncretecwbo
07-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Not true. Abs are actually extremely important for holding you upright. A 6 pack only means that you have very low body fat, which to me is only impressive if you're muscular all over. I'm not impressed at all by skinny weak guys who have six packs.

yeah a 6 pack is not that hard to get, a 6 pack and muscle IS

Spartan
07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
For it to be visible? Definitely less than 10% More like 8%.

Measuring BF% is not an exact science. Your mirror will tell you more. Hint: use ALL angles!

TommyC
07-14-2008, 07:41 PM
For it to be visible? Definitely less than 10% More like 8%.

Measuring BF% is not an exact science. Your mirror will tell you more. Hint: use ALL angles!

They can be visible anywhere from 15% depending on the person and where you store the most fat

Gmedlo
07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
I would agree with 12%+-3%, depending on how large your abs are. For the majority of athletes, it's probably closer to the 15% range.

Those of you saying ridiculous things like 8% for VISIBLE abs, go get your bodyfat checked. I guarantee it will be MUCH higher than you think it is if you think your abs aren't visible until 8%.

I can't help but chuckle at the people throwing genetics around. especially as it applies to "8 packs". Everyone has "eight" abdominal muscles. Race is not a factor, good genes are not a factor, it's merely bf%.

http://exrx.net/Muscles/RectusAbdominis.html

For an athlete, getting visible abs is not difficult. I've yet to do any abdominal work in the weight room and I have a VERY visible six-pack.

Shaolin
07-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Ive heard about 10% also.

TommyC
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I would agree with 12%+-3%, depending on how large your abs are. For the majority of athletes, it's probably closer to the 15% range.

Those of you saying ridiculous things like 8% for VISIBLE abs, go get your bodyfat checked. I guarantee it will be MUCH higher than you think it is if you think your abs aren't visible until 8%.

I can't help but chuckle at the people throwing genetics around. especially as it applies to "8 packs". Everyone has "eight" abdominal muscles. Race is not a factor, good genes are not a factor, it's merely bf%.

http://exrx.net/Muscles/RectusAbdominis.html

For an athlete, getting visible abs is not difficult. I've yet to do any abdominal work in the weight room and I have a VERY visible six-pack.

I will agree with you on most points here, as they're pretty close to what I've said, but to say genetics play no part in visible abs at a certain % I'd disagree. Sure once you get to a level, they're undoubtedly going to show, but genetics plays a part in where you store your fat. You can be at 15% showing visible abs, with most of your fat being stored in your legs. You can also be at 13% with most of your fat being stored in your abdominal area. This is completely genetics.

But I definitely agree that it is ignorant to say you must be at sub 10% to show visible abs.

And I definitely agree with race NOT being a factor to show visible abs. The only way this would be a factor is if you're comparing a very light skinned Caucasian to a darker skinned person with the exact same body, both of which barely showing abs. The dark skin is going to make the abs more visible--but this has nothing to do with the abs actually showing or not..

Hot Sauce
07-15-2008, 03:22 AM
What kind of diet lowers body fat %?

150mph_
07-15-2008, 06:08 AM
protein...
use paleolithic diet

TommyC
07-15-2008, 08:46 AM
What kind of diet lowers body fat %?

Oh the number of answers we could give you for that.

Diet and exercise combined are what will lower your body fat. Often times people will feel that cutting down to a 2000 calorie diet is whats going to get them that fitness model physique, but thats not the case. Most people live by eating 3 meals a day, but this isn't the case. Most people feel that exercising for hours on end everyday is the key to their success, again, counterproductive.

There is no one diet that will work for everyone, you have to find out what works for you. That being said, find your maintenance level of calories for a day, and subtract 500. That's about how many calories you'll want to be taking in daily, don't go much less than that(you only want to lose at MAX 2lbs a week.) You're going to want to divide this up into at least 6 meals, as many as 10 or 12(Jay Cutler eats every 2 hours, waking up in the middle of the night to get his meals. Granted you don't have to do this since you're not planning on being the next Mr. Olympia.)

Breakfast is your most important meal--eggs, oatmeal, whole wheat toast, a protein shake if you don't have the time for anything else. Whatever it is, make sure you get your breakfast. From the time you eat breakfast until the time you go to bed, you want to eat a meal every 2 to 3.5 hours depending on when you have time(a lot of times people don't have the time for this, so amend to it the best you can, if you have to take 4 hours, take 4 hours, if you have to only take 2, that's fine as well.)

Diet is 80% of fat loss, but don't take that to mean you don't need to exercise. Cardio is going to speed up your fat loss, and proper weight training is going to fill you out. Google the word 'skinny fat' if you'd like to see what happens when you lose the weight without weight training.

With all that said, there's still a universe of knowledge out there that I can't put into one post a tennis forum. I'm not the most qualified to being giving diet advice, but this is what I've gathered over my years of countless research on the subject. If you'd like further information from me(the breakup of macros in your daily diet, zig/zag diets, and how to plan the meals PM me(does this forum have a PM feature?))

kungfusmkim
07-15-2008, 09:29 AM
I have had quite visible abdominal muscles (ie., six packs) my entire life but have done little to deserve them. I eat what I want, do what I want and yet they've always just been there. ...I truly believe this is largely a genetic issue. I know many guys who have far greater stamina and better all around cardio health who DO NOT have visible abs.. Given my druthers, I'd rather be them.

I wouldn't worry so much about "six packs". ..Train to be healthy, that's the main thing.

Easy for you to say, everyone probably thinks your healthy and fit when they see your 6 pack? Like Agassi said 20 years ago " Image is Everything" People these days are too too too VISUAL

Necroblood
07-15-2008, 09:34 AM
My cousin who barely works out or does any cardio activity has a six pack due to his low bf percentage. However, he does have colestral problems so I end up winning that part of the health section. I've done about a gazillion crunches and abdominal workouts but yet I don't a six pack.

TommyC
07-15-2008, 09:42 AM
I've done about a gazillion crunches and abdominal workouts but yet I don't a six pack.

Which is the most common misconception with getting visible abs. A lot of people will do crunches thinking it's going to make them lose the fat around their abdominals and show their abs, but that's not the case. You cannot spot reduce fat. The only way to lose the fat around the abs is to diet properly and have a proper workout regiment. High numbers of crunches will make the muscles bigger, not necessarily stronger, but bigger and more toned and when you do lose the fat your stomach will undoubtedly look better than if you didn't do the crunches, but for now all they're doing is pushing out the fat, possibly making you look more fat.

superman1
07-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Weighted decline crunches are my favorite, and the only reason to do them is to keep those very important muscles strong, not to make them more visible. If you have a layer of blubber covering your abs, they'd have to be shaped like 4 inch torpedoes to stick out.

Mansewerz
07-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I dunno my bf, but i'm probably in the low teens, and my six pack shows when I flex, and a little while relaxed. It's different for different people. Some people store fat on the belly, others more venly on the body. Luckily for me, mine is more evenly.