PDA

View Full Version : Why do they do it in the road?

Nuke
10-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Not a tennis question, but I figure a few of you must go jogging for exercise: Why do so many joggers run in the road instead of the sidewalk? In the morning, when I'm driving to work, there's always a bunch of joggers on the street to watch out for. This is in a neighborhood with good, even sidewalks, and at that time of the day there's no pedestrians for them to run around. Is running on the asphalt of the street better than the concrete sidewalks?

tom-selleck
10-26-2005, 01:25 PM
yup, i think that's it. road is softer and fewers ups and downs.....

if you've ever run on stones (like the south side of thames in downtown london), you will really notice that different materials have different hardness.

doriancito
10-26-2005, 07:43 PM
i dont know, this happens all aorund thw rold, they make really nice conforatble sidewalks to jog in but people prefer asfalt!

Docalex007
10-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Well, the real key is something else guys.

People prefer to use the road instead of the sidewalk because its a natural tendency to run on the "wider surface area". Its in our brains. When we know a road isn't heavily polluted by vehicular traffic, we want to run on this wide surface. We feel more freedom to shift left or right if needed.

Plus, a sense of feeling closer to the ground is also something we want to do.

Ronaldo
10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Rather run on cinders or mulch not hard cement or even blacktop. However, at least the road is even unlike sidewalks up north.

Craig Sheppard
10-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Nuke, you had it right in your post. Concrete is the most jarring thing you can run on for your knees, joints, and body. Asphalt is a much more comfortable running surface. If you ever have the choice, run on the asphalt over the concrete. Of course the best for your body is compressed dirt or some other natural material, but that's not always available.

bcaz
10-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Macadam is much softer than concrete -- I've been doing it in the road for decades. A dirt path is best (and we mave many many miles of canal banks around here) but they aren't as safe in the dark -- potholes, pitfalls, not crime -- and working stiff like me can't always get our runs in during daylight, epecially in the cooler months of the year.

Marius_Hancu
10-27-2005, 08:20 AM
run on softest surfaces you can, your knees, ankles, etc, will thank you

doriancito
10-27-2005, 10:03 AM
yes, but sometimes when you practice you need very hard surfaces so that your joints get harder then they will work double!

Nuke
10-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Hmm, I don't really consider asphalt to be much softer than concrete, at least not when I walk on it. They both feel like solid rock to me. Technically, I know asphalt is softer than cement, but relative to the weight of a person walking on it, there can't be that much difference, can there? It's not like the asphalt "gives" when your foot hits it.

tennisplayer
10-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Joggers ain't nothing but mammals, so they do it like they do on the discovery channel...