PDA

View Full Version : Why Poly in the crosses ?

Dolfan
10-26-2005, 11:58 AM
When stringing a hybrid with poly in the mains the benefit's are clear . You will gain more spin from the stiffer string and lack of movement . How am I doing so far ? You soften up the string bed ,add more power and feel with a soft Multi or Gut in the crosses , so why Multi in the mains and Poly crosses ?
Are most player's using this set up just using Gut in the mains ? Please coment if you have tried Hybrids both ways . Thanks for your feedback .

dmastous
10-26-2005, 12:17 PM
I'll make a guess here. I've read a lot of reviews about NXT, a multifilament. Most people seem to break the cross strings instead of the mains. So maybe players put Poly mains for durability?

oiler90
10-26-2005, 06:50 PM
I have been a poly user for about 6 months now and I just did my first poly hybrid job with the poly in the crosses (instead of the mains). I LOVE IT.

Before even trying poly I read that putting poly in the mains would give me more control with the poly holding its position better than nylon or gut, therefore giving more spin. I agree, but the lack of feel in my stringjob was annoying as I ventured to net.

I tried Wilson Sensation in the mains and poly in the crosses and I found immediate better feel in all my shots (especially groundies) and believe it or not, THE SAME GREAT SPIN on all my shots. I don't know why the spin is just as great, but I don't care. I'm sticking with this pattern until someone tells me there is something better. I will be tinkering with tensions though. I currently have mains @ 55, crosses @ 50. Plays a little too tight and "tinny" for me.

ipod-upod
10-26-2005, 07:23 PM
I will be tinkering with tensions though. I currently have mains @ 55, crosses @ 50. Plays a little too tight and "tinny" for me.

Wow, that is a large difference in tension. I have mine only 2 lbs difference. I had heard that a large difference cannot be good for your frame.

oiler90
10-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Remember that the 2 different strings have very different characteristics when being pulled by a machine, just as they play different when hitting a ball. The poly is a string that has extremely low elongation, meaning that when you pull the set tension during stringing, it doesnt take very much "pull" for the set tension to be realized. But with a more "forgiving" string such as Sensation, the elongation is much higher, thus the softer feel when playing. This string needs much more pull from the stringing machine to reach its tension it is set at.

Thus the difference in tensions.

dmastous
10-26-2005, 08:37 PM
I currently have mains @ 55, crosses @ 50. Plays a little too tight and "tinny" for me.
Isn't this much difference in tension bad for the frame?

tree
10-26-2005, 08:42 PM
since the mains are syn. \ gut wont the string life be reduced by a lot more?

snoflewis
10-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Wow, that is a large difference in tension. I have mine only 2 lbs difference. I had heard that a large difference cannot be good for your frame.

this is what i heard....plus even though the sensation is elastic, the poly will eventually lose its tension as well...so i dont know...as long as it works, i guess its fine. anyways, ive always used poly mains and synthetic crosses and recnetly, i strung my racket up w/ synthetic mains and poly crosses. i hated it. It was way to stiff and had no feel. i felt that the racket didnt produce enough spin. the racket felt like a board when i hit w/ it and i just cut them out...but as i said before...as long as it works for you, it doesnt matter what others say

oiler90
10-27-2005, 06:18 AM
I appreciate the feedback here. This is exactly what this forum is supposed to be. Thanks.

To reply to the answers:
1. No, the tension difference of 5# is not much considering modern carbon/graphite frames could take HUNDREDS of pounds of tension before losing integrity.

2. When considering the stiffness of poly vs. syn gut, the poly needs to be dropped a few pounds to allow for its inherent stiffness.

3. If the poly crosses felt stiff and boardy I would strongly recommend lowering the tension like I did. You wont lose any spin potential. If anything, you will gain spin because poly isnt suppose to be tight anyway - or it loses its playability.

rfederer32291
10-27-2005, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=oiler90]I appreciate the feedback here. This is exactly what this forum is supposed to be. Thanks.

To reply to the answers:
1. No, the tension difference of 5# is not much considering modern carbon/graphite frames could take HUNDREDS of pounds of tension before losing integrity.
QUOTE]
I would have to disagree, you will DEFINITELY feel +/- 5 pounds when you are playing. there is no question about it.

oiler90
10-29-2005, 05:09 PM
I think youre misunderstanding the answer I posted. I'm saying that the frame's integrity is not sacrificed by a 5# difference from mains and crosses. I was not implying that a player couldn't tell the difference between string jobs that were 5# apart. I apologize to those that mis-read my post.

rfederer32291
10-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I think youre misunderstanding the answer I posted. I'm saying that the frame's integrity is not sacrificed by a 5# difference from mains and crosses. I was not implying that a player couldn't tell the difference between string jobs that were 5# apart. I apologize to those that mis-read my post.
OK, now I see what you are saying.

ffrpg
10-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Most people will put Poly strings in the crosses for numerous reasons. I think the biggest reason is to stop string movement. Poly in the crosses help hold the strings in place, much like having poly in the mains. Another reason would be to tame the power of the strings in the mains. The last reason I can think of is to get a firmer feeling stringbed.

Dolfan
10-31-2005, 11:19 AM
I like the idea of the string's not moving and more duribility but a firmer string bed is not what I want . I have read that you get 80% of the string's feel and power from the mains . I love the feel and power I get from multi's like Wilson Sensation but hate the movement after 4+ hours . I like poly's also but my elbow hate's them these days so im looking for the best of both world's . I will try a W/Sensation main and SS honey cross and will post feedback in the future .