PDA

View Full Version : Most obnoxious pro player ever?

@wright
02-19-2004, 08:49 AM
"You cannot be serious!" I'd have to say either John McEnroe or Jeff Tarango(his wife slapped the chair umpire). :shock:

Verbal_Kint
02-19-2004, 08:56 AM
Nastase?

Marnix

Camilio Pascual
02-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Bill Tilden.

jmckinney
02-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Connors and McEnroe by far.

Kirko
02-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Cliff Richey

Sean Dugan
02-20-2004, 03:39 AM
The unholy trinity of bad behavior on the tennis court........Mac, Connors, and Nasty. Disruption was a part of their game plan. Agassi occasionally acts very badly, but not on a consistent basis. If I were a racquet, I'd pick Safin. On the other side of the behavior spectrum, Edberg comes to mind. As do Rafter, Guga and Sampras, and a host of others.

borisboris
02-20-2004, 05:20 AM
David Wheaton--CONNERS = #1 Your a bum -- I'm out here playing my but off at 39 and your making those calls? Out my butt!! Get outa the chair you *#$%$ bag..... IDIOT

joe sch
02-20-2004, 05:03 PM
I agree with Sean Dugan : Mac, Connors, and Nasty. Gilbert & Tarango mostly were good examples of trying to win ugly. Everyone gets on Roddick for his attitude and behavior but it does not really even compare to those 3 post champions. Tennis really needs some colorful characters again for recapturing public interest so its great that most of the TW posters are giving Arod soo much attention as it will help to draw even more interest :wink:

tennisplayer
02-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Great topic, Alan... I've got to go with McEnroe, Connors, and Tarango. These three are in a class of their own.

Nosoupforyou
02-20-2004, 09:46 PM
The unholy trinity of bad behavior on the tennis court........Mac, Connors, and Nasty. Disruption was a part of their game plan. Agassi occasionally acts very badly, but not on a consistent basis. If I were a racquet, I'd pick Safin. On the other side of the behavior spectrum, Edberg comes to mind. As do Rafter, Guga and Sampras, and a host of others.

Agassi with acts very badly, i kinda doubt it, he is usually very gracious both in both victory and defeat, except maybe at the siebel :roll:
Safin is actually a pretty cool guy i hear, i think he just gets mad at himself more than anything else, i'd say mcenroe was the worst, probably because of the stunt he pulled when Gilbert won the match and he got the ump to overrule it after ten minutes

Sean Dugan
02-21-2004, 07:59 AM
I agree that Andre is nowhere near as bad as Mac, JC, or Nasty.......not even close. But I have seen him behave badly,,,,,,,,once at Siebel, then Sybase, yes. The 96 final against Sampras.......he was awful!. He got DQed from the same tournament a few years later, 99?. And in his second Wimbledon semi against Rafter, 2001?, he "threw" at a line judge he thought had hooked him. Turns out the guy made the right call, or certainly a call that was far too close to complain about. Everyone has their days. Ivo had his moments, too. And, in a battle of the Todds, I saw Woodbridge.....hardly a wild man.........screaming the f word in a match against Martin. For the most part, men's tennis is still a gentlemen's game. The WTA, the World Teenagegirl Association?, seems to suffer from more on-court antics, but some people find the histrionic cattiness entertaining. There's a soap opera aspect to it. :wink:

NoBadMojo
02-22-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm going w. Mac and Connors w/ mac coming in comfortably in first place..nasty could be very Nasty and cruel, but he also could be hilarious and charming. Not that it made his behaviour right, but at least he had redeeming qualities. Mac's and Connors attempts at being funny or 'nice guys' were pretty lame IMO. Edo

dgrson
02-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Nobody came close to Nasty in his prime and his ability to throw off other players games.

spinbalz
02-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Double team : Tiriac - Nastase from Romania in Davis cup, absolutly terrific when at home!

Mikael
02-23-2004, 12:46 PM
What about Gimelstob...

Max G.
02-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Pshaw, Gimelstob. The young generation just isn't as good at being nasty as the old-timers. Nobody knows how to throw a tantrum properly anymore...

:-p

my_forehand
02-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Why Tarango if his WIFE smacked the ump.

auzzieizm
02-29-2008, 02:52 AM
I watched a Team Tennis match last year of Jeff Tarango against John McEnroe. Jeff Tarango was acting like a spoiled, ****ed off teenager. McEnroe beat him easily in that set. For Tarango to still be acting like that is ridiculous.

Nuke
02-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Tarango and McEnroe in Team tennis? Jeez, that's just a dog & pony show, isn't it? It's all just a put-on for the paying customers at this point in their careers, and the players give 'em what they want.

feetofclay
02-29-2008, 04:27 AM
I personally don't think you could call Nastase obnoxious. He was certainly temperamental and disruptive, but the crowds at Wimbledon quite liked him. I remember him borrowing an umbrella from someone in the crowd, because they were having to play in the rain. He continued to play umbrella in one hand, racket in the other until play was called off. The truth is that he was gifted and talented but his temperament prevented him from reaching his full potential. Andy Roddick would have to get my vote.

veroniquem
02-29-2008, 05:20 AM
How about Vilas?

auzzieizm
02-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Tarango and McEnroe in Team tennis? Jeez, that's just a dog & pony show, isn't it? It's all just a put-on for the paying customers at this point in their careers, and the players give 'em what they want.

I agree. Tarango still acted like a jerk regardless.

p.s. that must also be why Kournikova was still hitting double faults. ;)

GS
02-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey, how about Vince Spadea? Ever since he achieved the record of 21 consecutive first-round ATP losses in history, he's been a real jerk, like yelling at ballboys and refusing to sign autographs after matches. At the US Open years ago, while trying to return a deep lob, he hit a linesman on his backswing, causing him to lose the point. He turned to the linesman and said, "Hey, next time, get out of my way!!"
A classy guy....

Fee
02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Connors, Nastase, and McEnroe for consistency, quantity, and quality. They were almost ALWAYS bad. Roddick's occasional outbursts have nothing on those three. Same for Hewitt, kitty cat by comparison.

CanadianChic
02-29-2008, 02:08 PM
From what I have learned as of late, I would go with Nastase and Hewitt. I have a burr in my side as far as Hewitt is concerned that I just can't shake off.

mattyc
02-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Hewitt IMO.

A little story for u all.

when hewitt was 14 he got to the final of a fututres event. He was in locker room and they called his name to come out for the final. 10 mins later he still had not appeared. 15 mins later the referee went in to get him. He said to the young Hewitt

" Hurry up or you will be disqualified"

Hewitt replies: " Do you know who I am???

Referee: Lleyton Hewitt?

Hewitt: I am the future Wimbledon Champion, leave me alone I will come when I am ready to come!"

Obnoxious? I think so

edmondsm
02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Ps: Close second place to Brad Gilbert, with his perennial half smile.

Talking about this?

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playernumber=G016

Magix
02-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Hewitt IMO.

A little story for u all.

when hewitt was 14 he got to the final of a fututres event. He was in locker room and they called his name to come out for the final. 10 mins later he still had not appeared. 15 mins later the referee went in to get him. He said to the young Hewitt

" Hurry up or you will be disqualified"

Hewitt replies: " Do you know who I am???

Referee: Lleyton Hewitt?

Hewitt: I am the future Wimbledon Champion, leave me alone I will come when I am ready to come!"

Obnoxious? I think so

Aren't most teenagers obnoxious?

And at least he backed up his claim about winning Wimbledon. :wink:

Cyclone
02-29-2008, 03:58 PM
connors was honestly a complete travesty of a player. i have no doubt that he was an amazing player with a ton of fight in him, his propensity for showing zero class completely tarnishes (in my opinion) his reputation as one of the game's greats. gustavo kuerten and patrick rafter, on the other hand, were extremely talented in their own rights, but were on the whole respectable and gentlemanly players. connors should be ashamed of himself for being such a disgrace

TonLars
02-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh get off Hewitt please. The guy is a very nice and classy guy. On the court he is simply very intense and does the "come on!". Theres nothing wrong with that. There are many more obnoxious players than him in their demonstrations of behavior.

EasternRocks
02-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Johnny Mac, or Hewitt?
Hewitt can get into players' grills often, haha.

Leublu tennis
03-01-2008, 05:44 AM
All I remember about Nastasy was that he could swear in 6 languages and we thought he was just amusing, not necessarily disruptive like McEnroe.

tintin
03-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Connors
Hewitt
Henin
Serena
Roddick
Sharapova

pound cat
03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Why is it that almost all the most obnoxious players mentioned are American?

Ultra2HolyGrail
03-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Why is it that almost all the most obnoxious players mentioned are American?

Because they have more personality ?

MariaS
03-01-2008, 07:33 PM
John McEnroe
Illie Nastase
Jimmy Connors
Ivan Lendel

rafan
03-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Well ok Mac - but hasn't he grown into a diplomatic pro establishment grandad - maybe I liked to old obnoxious one

aceroberts13
03-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Roger Federer

I don't like Fed's attitude at all. Great player. Great guy. Most talent.

But, seriously lacks charisma and somehow makes me not excited when he plays. He is just so robotic and plain and his celebrations and frustrations sometimes sound scripted and forced.

Despite all of that he remains the greatest player of my era and is a gentleman of the game and has propelled the game into the future.

jimmycoop
03-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Can't believe you have forgotten Marcelo Rios.

Djokovicfan4life
03-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Roger Federer

But, seriously lacks charisma and somehow makes me not excited when he plays. He is just so robotic and plain and his celebrations and frustrations sometimes sound scripted and forced.

Despite all of that he remains the greatest player of my era and is a gentleman of the game and has propelled the game into the future.

I love Fed's attitude myself. That "not even trying vibe" just goes to show us how truly great a
player he is.

Just watch him blast Roddick's attempt at an overhead calmly down the line. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKwqGYCNvY

Even Roddick (who some people have mentioned in this thread) walks over and congratulates Fed on a ridiculous shot that no one else in the world is capable of.

BTW, what is the commentator saying after the shot? Sounds like "inkly dinkly" to me. WTF. :lol:

cmo871
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
connors nadal sharapova

slice-o-maniac
03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
would have to be sharapova and serena for me....that screams really kill it for me....

ApproachMan
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Jeff Tarango - Remember this guy walking off the court in the 1995 Wimbledon? His wife slapped the line judge Bruno Rebeuh.

Pete Sampras - The guy is a total *** on and off the court. On the court, the guy never gives his opponent or anyone any credit. He's obviously undergoing a mid-life crisis. It's tacky for him to come out and say that Federer's opponents are lot easier than the ones Sampras faced in the late 90's when he dominated. The guy needs to learn to laugh at himself a bit and get a little charisma (like John McEnroe who has clearly learned to laugh at his own strikingly short temper.)

Racer41c
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Vailidisova, she's a b on wheels.

Tshooter
04-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Easy one.

Nastase
Jmac
Connors

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
04-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Connors and McEnroe, though of course some others mentioned I agree with also, Ilie, in particular. Yet I don't think it's should be called "personality" what these players displayed and how they behaved. Just rude, insulting and gamesmanship, though admittedly, each of these players could have a charming witty side.

CAM178
04-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Jeff Tarango. He made Mac look like a saint.

gj011
04-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Andy Roddick. The biggest jerk on tour. By far.

35ft6
04-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Connors
Tarango
McEnroe

Wow, they're all lefties. I wouldn't mind seeing more obnoxious tennis players. Like not slamming rackets and swearing, but just more interesting characters.

Hot Sauce
04-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Roger Federer

How is that obnoxious?

orangettecoleman
04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Jimmy Connors and Serena Williams. At least Venus outgrew the crappy attitude. Sharapova and her shrieking are definitely in the running for most obnoxious as well. I wish they would pass a rule against that crap.

orangettecoleman
04-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I like fed's attitude. it's not his fault that he has won so many slams at this point that he gets about as excited as i do when i win $10 in scratchers.

my impression of fed winning a sixth wimbledon:

(oh i won again, better act emotional)... (awkward pause).... " um, okay well see you guys next year, thanks for coming out!"....(shrugs, walks off court)"

Casey10s
04-06-2008, 07:15 AM
I have an interesting story on Tarango. This happened at Cincinnati a few years ago. I forget who he was playing but it was a young kid at the time. His opponent shows up on the court and no Jeff. After about 5 or 10 minutes and still no Jeff, you can tell his opponent is getting antsy and he is doing things to keep himself loose and warmed up. Finally, Jeff shows up looking like he is going to shoot someone and still takes his time. Another 5 or 10 minutes goes while Jeff gets his stuff out of the bag, gets prepared, etc. His opponent is really getting irritated.

Anyway, the match starts. The usual Tarango theatrics - yelling, throwing racquets, and just being a poor sportsman. They split the first 2 sets and it goes into the third. Jeff gets down a break and is not playing very well. During one of the changeovers, a little kid, about 5 or 6 years old, comes walking down the steps with his big tennis ball looking for an autograph and he was going towards Tarango. I see this and think this is going to be a big Tarango moment. He is going to take that ball and send it out of the stadium. Instead, Tarango turns around, grabs the pen, signs the ball, gives it back to the kid, and goes back to sitting there in his usual manner.

Makes me think that the Tarango image is something he dreamed up to give himself an advantage.

daddy
04-06-2008, 07:20 AM
I have an interesting story on Tarango. This happened at Cincinnati a few years ago. I forget who he was playing but it was a young kid at the time. His opponent shows up on the court and no Jeff. After about 5 or 10 minutes and still no Jeff, you can tell his opponent is getting antsy and he is doing things to keep himself loose and warmed up. Finally, Jeff shows up looking like he is going to shoot someone and still takes his time. Another 5 or 10 minutes goes while Jeff gets his stuff out of the bag, gets prepared, etc. His opponent is really getting irritated.

Anyway, the match starts. The usual Tarango theatrics - yelling, throwing racquets, and just being a poor sportsman. They split the first 2 sets and it goes into the third. Jeff gets down a break and is not playing very well. During one of the changeovers, a little kid, about 5 or 6 years old, comes walking down the steps with his big tennis ball looking for an autograph and he was going towards Tarango. I see this and think this is going to be a big Tarango moment. He is going to take that ball and send it out of the stadium. Instead, Tarango turns around, grabs the pen, signs the ball, gives it back to the kid, and goes back to sitting there in his usual manner.

Makes me think that the Tarango image is something he dreamed up to give himself an advantage.

Only Roddick can be idiot with kids. Most of the people know they are just kids and we all should know what is it like when you are 5, we have all been there. Some aparently do not remember.

CEvertFan
04-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Most obnoxious players ever on the ATP tour would have to be:

McEnroe
Nastase
Connors

daddy
04-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Most obnoxious players ever on the ATP tour would have to be:

McEnroe
Nastase
Connors

The best period in tennis history was the time when these guys played :

McEnroe
Nastase
Connors

Any reason for this I wonder ?? :confused:

Casey10s
04-06-2008, 09:23 AM

I went back and took a look at Tarango's results. This occurred in 2000 and his opponent was Taylor Dent. Taylor won 6-4, 3-6, 6-1.

Tshooter
04-06-2008, 02:16 PM
My favorite Tarango match was played evening, USO, Grandstand court (this was before Ashe was built so it was the no. 2 court) against Rios. After both putting up with a loud Rios cheering section and upsetting Rios, Tarango gave the Rios fans the finger before exciting the court. The guy was funny. And in no way in the class of the true jerks of the game: Nastase, Connors and JMac.

vndesu
04-06-2008, 02:19 PM
nadaal
mcenroe

TheTruth
04-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Roger Federer:

Can't stand all the comments he's made about other players and their games, nor the constant fawning on himself. His victims? Canas, Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray. Really despise the off court games he plays. Calling Wawrinka and asking him to beat Nalbandian after suffering two consecutive losses. He's just done too much for me.

Andy:

Too bratty for me, don't like how he deals with the lower ranked players.

Sharapova:

Irrititating, I seriously think the shrieks are intentional to throw her opponents off.

Many times the American Male Brigade:

Agassi, Mardy, Robbie, Taylor, they just act like they can do and say whatever they want to the chair umps.

TheTruth
04-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Oh, and Djokovic. I don't dislike him, but do find him rather obnoxious. The thing with him though is that he's young, so I have a little more patience with him at this time.

jgreen06
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
nastase jmac and connors easy, probably in that order

Dedans Penthouse
04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Ion Tiriac.

PROTENNIS63
04-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Who ever said Federer should make an appointment with the local doctor ASAP.

flyer
04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
^^^Yeah I agree hes not the most humble guy ever but hes a million miles away from the most obnoxious, I'd prolly go with Coria, Coria is a complete jack***

Nadal_Freak
04-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Roger Federer

Agreed. Also Sampras, Tsonga, and Gimelstobb.

BlUe 182 BanAna
04-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Agreed. Also Sampras, Tsonga, and Gimelstobb.

agree, although, and yeah Tsonga definitively isn't, he get too excited when he scores a point

TheTruth
04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
^^^^

I agree. I first noticed it when he played Roddick a few years back. I like watching his game, but he hasn't been in the mix long enough for me to form a definitive opinion. But so far...he's grating on my nerves!

Deuce
04-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Alex Bogomolov, Jr. is also an immature, obnoxious horse's *** - but we don't see it much because his tennis playing capacities don't get him on TV very often (thankfully).

Tshooter
04-09-2008, 10:07 PM
"I personally don't think you could call Nastase obnoxious."

How would you characterize spitting at your opponent instead of shaking his hand at the end of the match (Pohmann match, USO).

He was almost as bad the year before when Barazzutti beat him.

Two memorable ones for me in a long list of outrageous matches.

My fav player to watch of all time but he was obnoxious.

Which reminds me. Frank Hammond is my tennis hero.

gdsballer
04-10-2008, 05:26 AM
Alex Bogomolov, Jr. is also an immature, obnoxious horse's *** - but we don't see it much because his tennis playing capacities don't get him on TV very often (thankfully).

i remember watching him against gonzo in australia in 07(?) first round...he was a complete jerk and an embarrassment to himself

l_gonzalez
04-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Marcelo Rios!!! i remember at press conferences they would ask him stuff in english and he'd reply in spanish, then the questions would come in Spanish and he'd reply in English!

He was hated by the press, especially the French.

simi
04-10-2008, 07:06 AM
^^^^

Love it! He was surely a work.

-----

Wish I knew him better, but I don't think much of Kiefer. That stunt he pulled against Clement at the AO the other year was outright cheating. I hope I'm wrong about him.

Kaptain Karl
04-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Since the OP asked for THE most obnoxious ... Shriekapova. But the elimination process was difficult for me. Here's my ranking....

Shriekapova: Screaming and cheating (coaching and time violations).
Bogomolov: Serious jerk. Not even close to enough game to justify it.
Tarango: (See Bogomolov) Tarango is "just" less of a jerk.
Connors: Great heart, but lewd antics were too much.
Keifer: Jerk and cheater.
Shriver: Biggest crybaby on the Tour. Without Martina she was a mere journeywoman.
Mac: His genius still isn't enough to excuse his behavior.
Nadal: Great heart, but a cheater (coaching, constant time violator)
Pierce: Time violator and near total head case.
Bob Hewitt: A bully and a baby.
Henin: The Hand and the Tummy Ache. Love her game, but can't forgive the classlessness.

- KK

RCCTigertennis
04-10-2008, 10:46 AM
donald young....

Fee
04-10-2008, 10:50 AM
^^^^

Love it! He was surely a work.

-----

Wish I knew him better, but I don't think much of Kiefer. That stunt he pulled against Clement at the AO the other year was outright cheating. I hope I'm wrong about him.

It was Grosjean (if you are referring to the racquet throwing incident to win the point), and I agree that was low. The worst thing was the idiot chair umpire not knowing the rules. As soon as the racquet leaves your hand, the point is over and you have lost it. The chair gave that point to Kiefer and it was wrong.