PDA

View Full Version : so how would someone get a job at tenniswarehouse?

DX_Psycho
10-26-2005, 04:57 PM
seems like a fun job i might want in the future.

doriancito
10-26-2005, 07:40 PM
yeah! just showing people the many products they hav around! getting good payment, telling them your experiences with some of the products they want to puchase and having the latest gear al around you!!

10-26-2005, 08:16 PM
I have a friend who just got a job at tennis warehouse. He goes to Cal Poly and he's working as a stringer for TW.

doriancito
10-26-2005, 08:23 PM
I have a friend who just got a job at tennis warehouse. He goes to Cal Poly and he's working as a stringer for TW.
SWEET! he must have the latest stringing gear! and all types of racquets and strings arriving to him all the time!

Richie Rich
10-26-2005, 09:10 PM
i know it sounds good but being a stringer would probably suck after a while. just imagine all the luxilon you will have to string every day - my fingers are hurting just thinking about it. i think the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.

10-26-2005, 09:48 PM
I haven't talked to him in a while but I'd imagine that it would be hard work stringing for TW, just constantly stringing like you guys said. But I'm sure that he would probably get some kind of discount for working there.

DX_Psycho
10-26-2005, 10:08 PM
i'd be glad to string all day as long as it paid well and i was in a nice comfortable atmosphere.

snoflewis
10-26-2005, 10:31 PM
i'd be glad to string all day as long as it paid well and i was in a nice comfortable atmosphere.

i second that. an employees discount wouldnt bother me as well. but it would be awesome if i could be one of the people who demoed the products, that way you get free demos for weeks and you can choose what products fit you the best without actually having to pay full price on them.

diredesire
10-27-2005, 10:10 AM
i second that. an employees discount wouldnt bother me as well. but it would be awesome if i could be one of the people who demoed the products, that way you get free demos for weeks and you can choose what products fit you the best without actually having to pay full price on them.

or... you'd have a hellish time trying to get something that works because you're always changing the gear :P

TW Manager
10-28-2005, 09:50 AM
How do you apply to Tennis Warehouse? Simply pick up an application at our retail location or send your resume to me (nick@tennis-warehouse.com). If you are from out of the area and looking to move to San Luis Obispo, then please send me a cover letter in regard to what you are looking for in employment at TW and discuss your related skill set.

I have been at Tennis Warehouse since 1997 and it is extremely enjoyable. We have created a positive environment where our staff not only works hard, but also plays hard. We are a team and continually striving to better our services for our customers. Training and development are a major focus as is employee moral. Entry level positions start at $7.25/hr to $9.00/hr. Advanced technical or supervisor positions start between $10.00/hr to $15.00/hr. Advancement in to higher paying Management positions is typically from within. We offer full medical, dental and vision benefits as well as a 401K and profit sharing program. In addition there is sick time and vacation hours that accrue.

If you are interested in any further details or insight to the working environment at Tennis Warehouse please let me know.

Nick Taylor
Operations Manager
Tennis Warehouse
Nick@tennis-warehouse.com

TW Manager
10-28-2005, 09:58 AM

The discounts are awesome for our employees and the working environment is what makes TW the best job in SLO. Who is you friend at TW?

-Nick

Return_Ace
10-28-2005, 10:03 AM
:o.............. i'm soooooo moving to america to work there.......... :)

doriancito
10-28-2005, 11:11 AM
i know it sounds good but being a stringer would probably suck after a while. just imagine all the luxilon you will have to string every day - my fingers are hurting just thinking about it. i think the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.
luxilon is pretty tuff on fingers,, yes it hurts, your fingers get swollen and you dont have the same "feel" as before, but i wouldnt want to be a stringer, just show people the stuff around

Jonnyf
10-28-2005, 11:13 AM
i know, Hey TW how do you feel about employing 14 year olds.

BreakPoint
10-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Entry level positions start at $7.25/hr to $9.00/hr. Advanced technical or supervisor positions start between $10.00/hr to $15.00/hr.

Hmmm.....SLO is a pretty expensive place to live (like most of California), so I was wondering how your folks are able to get by on those salaries? Are they mostly students that live in low-cost dorms or live at home?

I mean, everyone knows housing costs are outrageous in the Bay Area, but I believe it's only a little bit less in the SLO area, right?

TW Manager
10-28-2005, 12:46 PM
The wage ranges posted are for entry level and starting out pay only. Yes, living on the entry pay is very difficult if you are looking to own a home.

BreakPoint,
Housing is very expensive in SLO (cheapest fixer up home is currently over $500,000). The cheapest condo in SLO just sold for $357K. Our weather and quality of life is worth every penny.

We get excellent entry level stringers and warehouse staff employees from Cal Poly, SLO. Many, including myself have graduated from Poly and have made an excellent career with Tennis Warehouse. Affording a home in SLO has not been a problem for those dedicated to TW over the years.

KennyNguyen
10-28-2005, 01:00 PM
500,000 dollars is the cheapest? That sounds crazy, but how big/ nice would the house be?

Return_Ace
10-28-2005, 01:14 PM
i know, Hey TW how do you feel about employing 14 year olds.

:o how bout we can represent TW over here in the UK, we have quite lots of potential customers :) and some would be glad that you sell
X-1 Biphase 18g and not just the 17 and 16g like you get over here, or the fact that luxilon strings are pretty hefty on the wallet ;)

10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Nick,

If I'm not mistaken Jackson Lee just started working there, just thought I'd let you know.

BreakPoint
10-28-2005, 01:49 PM
500,000 dollars is the cheapest? That sounds crazy, but how big/ nice would the house be?

He did say it was a "fixer-upper" so I would imagine it's not all that nice. If you can imagine it, it's even worse in the Bay Area. How about $800K for a 1,100 sq. ft. house with 2 bedrooms and 1 bath that's 50 years old? You can buy a brand new 6,000 sq. ft. 6 BR, 5 BA mansion in Texas for that money.

BTW, thanks Nick for the info.

TW Manager
10-28-2005, 03:15 PM
BreakPoint,
I will tell Jackson you said hi. He is a recent new hire learning the ropes. You guys have it bad in many of the bay area cities, in regard to housing.

500K get's you a similar home here in SLO.

DX_Psycho
10-28-2005, 03:41 PM
yea i live in the bay area. i might go to Cal Poly for animal sciences if i don't get into UC Santa Barbara so i just wanted to know if i might be able to get a job at TW if i went to cal poly.

TW Manager
10-28-2005, 03:51 PM
DX,
When you move to SLO pick up an application and submit it to one of the retail staff members. Attach a cover letter addressed to me that you are from the TW Message board. I get a lot of applications and would want to insure you get an interview.

Nick Taylor

shsman2091
10-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Too bad there aren't any Ivy League colleges in California. Would have loved to study there and work for TW the rest of the time. Why did boring old Massachusetts have to be the home of Harvard? Whyyyyy????? Why doesn't TW open up a location in New York, great place for business isn't it?

POGO
10-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Too bad there aren't any Ivy League colleges in California. Would have loved to study there and work for TW the rest of the time. Why did boring old Massachusetts have to be the home of Harvard? Whyyyyy????? Why doesn't TW open up a location in New York, great place for business isn't it?
In California, the closest to an Ivy League University is Standford University and Berkeley. I consider those two the top in California.

shsman2091
10-28-2005, 05:26 PM
In California, the closest to an Ivy League University is Standford University and Berkeley. I consider those two the top in California.

They're close, but don't make the cut. I live in NY, proudly the owner of two Ivy's, but New York is still empty without TW. Just consider this TW, great business opportunites in NY await you, I heard they even have a lot available near Trump Tower. I mean you covered Cali, in the west, next should be NY, in the east. Larry Page and Sergey Brin of Google were smart enough to do it, why can't you?

BreakPoint
10-28-2005, 07:30 PM
BreakPoint,
I will tell Jackson you said hi. He is a recent new hire learning the ropes. You guys have it bad in many of the bay area cities, in regard to housing.

500K get's you a similar home here in SLO.

Actually, Jackson is 888's friend, not mine. But you can say "Hi" to him from me as well. ;)

Yeah, unfortunately, SLO is a tough move for people from the Bay Area since salaries are lower but housing is just as expensive, thus, the income/cost of living gap is even greater. :(

BreakPoint
10-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Why did boring old Massachusetts have to be the home of Harvard? Whyyyyy?????

Uh....because the Pilgrams landed in Massachussets and not in California? Not too many people in California 400 years ago when Harvard was founded as the first university in America.

BreakPoint
10-28-2005, 07:41 PM
They're close, but don't make the cut. I live in NY, proudly the owner of two Ivy's, but New York is still empty without TW. Just consider this TW, great business opportunites in NY await you, I heard they even have a lot available near Trump Tower. I mean you covered Cali, in the west, next should be NY, in the east. Larry Page and Sergey Brin of Google were smart enough to do it, why can't you?

"They're close, but don't make the cut?" Believe me, Stanford and Berkeley most certainly make the cut, and I went to two Ivy League schools.

It would make no sense for TW to open up in NY since they sell on the Internet and can ship to anywhere in the U.S. fairly quickly. Why increase their costs by having more locations? The idea is to reduce costs by having one large warehouse to consolidate all the products and ship everything you need to play tennis from one location.

POGO
10-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Actually, Jackson is 888's friend, not mine. But you can say "Hi" to him from me as well. ;)

Yeah, unfortunately, SLO is a tough move for people from the Bay Area since salaries are lower but housing is just as expensive, thus, the income/cost of living gap is even greater. :(
Breakpoint,

The wages or salaries TW mentioned are for entry level/student wages, which isn't bad IMHO, considering minimum wage in Cali is $6.75. I think those wages are higher compared to other parts of the USA. It is no wonder why many want to move to California. *small rant**Folks please stay where you are, California is a very bad state to move to. Terrible state......very bad.....should not move to Cali*.:) Florida would be a better choice!!!*Small Rant Over*

If you have the formal education/degree or many experience, you starting salary will be much higher. $500,000.00 for homes in Cali are in the norm. You really can;t find a home much less these days in Cali.

About 7 years ago, I purchased a home for $300,000.00, now the equity on my home is about $800,000.00. Prices had gone up considerbly.

POGO
10-28-2005, 08:05 PM
The wage ranges posted are for entry level and starting out pay only. Yes, living on the entry pay is very difficult if you are looking to own a home.

BreakPoint,
Housing is very expensive in SLO (cheapest fixer up home is currently over $500,000). The cheapest condo in SLO just sold for $357K. Our weather and quality of life is worth every penny.

We get excellent entry level stringers and warehouse staff employees from Cal Poly, SLO. Many, including myself have graduated from Poly and have made an excellent career with Tennis Warehouse. Affording a home in SLO has not been a problem for those dedicated to TW over the years.
*sigh* Nick, you shouldn't have said that *sigh* :D

BreakPoint
10-28-2005, 10:36 PM
About 7 years ago, I purchased a home for $300,000.00, now the equity on my home is about $800,000.00. Prices had gone up considerbly.

Yeah, I moved to CA 7 years ago and almost bought a condo for $540K. I balked at the last second because I thought the market was near its peak and was also afraid of losing it all in an earthquake. Boy, was I ever wrong about the real estate market! That same condo was worth $1 million just 18 short months later!!!! :eek: I kid you not. That was in the midst of the dot-com boom. I'm sure it's gone up even more today, 5 1/2 years later. Can you imagine $1.5 million for a 1,300 sq. ft., 2BR/2BA condo? And I thought it was waaaay overpriced at 1/3 of that price! I guess I was too smart for my own good and overanalyzed it. It turns out I was the stupid one! When it comes to CA real estate, ignorance and stupidity are bliss (and can make you rich!). ;)

DX_Psycho
10-28-2005, 11:18 PM
aha! POGO doesn't live in pogoland afterall!

yea. our house was like 2000 sq ft. for 350k now it's like 700k or something.

Prince_of_Tennis
10-29-2005, 12:42 AM
He did say it was a "fixer-upper" so I would imagine it's not all that nice. If you can imagine it, it's even worse in the Bay Area. How about $800K for a 1,100 sq. ft. house with 2 bedrooms and 1 bath that's 50 years old? You can buy a brand new 6,000 sq. ft. 6 BR, 5 BA mansion in Texas for that money.

BTW, thanks Nick for the info.

Wow my parents just bought a house was 460k about 5 months ago probably around 500k now. The house across the street from me less around 800 sq ft is going for 630+. Its been redone though over the pass 3 years they told me.

hammer
10-29-2005, 12:56 AM
I knew a couple of people who worked at TW while I went to Cal Poly in the late nineties. One of them was in my computer science class and another was a friend of a friend who also lived next door to me during my last year there. For some reason San Luis Obispo is a place that I enjoy visiting but wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life living in. I guess small town life just isn't for me, and it's nicknamed SLO for more than one reason. I just enjoy city life much better.

POGO
10-29-2005, 05:59 AM
aha! POGO doesn't live in pogoland afterall!

yea. our house was like 2000 sq ft. for 350k now it's like 700k or something.
I am in POGOLand, "I'm in POGO Land (East of Hawaii, West of Mississippi, North of Mexico, and South of B.C. Canada!)":mrgreen:

rilokiley
02-26-2006, 11:32 PM
How much do admins make? 'cause I'm thinking about getting a job. :D

Mr.Federer
02-27-2006, 06:57 AM
How much do admins make? 'cause I'm thinking about getting a job. :D

most probably nothing at all.

equinox
02-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Those wages seem very low. TW is paying junior wages.

Your wages for entry and 2nd level warehouse staff should be $10-12 not $10 for warehouse supervisor!

With wages that low, i really hope you guys have decent stock control measures in place. ;)

TheSnowMan
05-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Haha, I live in the Bay Area, I can drive to SLO. I've been there once. It was a really nice place... I want to go there again.

Roffey
05-07-2006, 10:28 AM

The Ivy League is just an athletic conference...

RiosTheGenius
05-07-2006, 10:36 AM
How do I get to know about job openings??..... and where's your headquarters?

andyroddick's mojo
05-07-2006, 10:54 AM
what would you say are some requirements to be eligable for a job at TW?
like being a stringer?
how many years of tennis experience?
knowledge of tennis?
high level of tennis? stuff like that.

raftermania
05-07-2006, 09:24 PM
They mentioned SLO in the recent buddy comedy "Sideways".

stevewcosta
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Stanford "...doesn't make the cut..."????? - one of the funniest things I have ever heard.