PDA

View Full Version : First hit with Signum Pro Plasma

Zverev
10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Racket used: Volkl Catapult 10

I have tried many strings with Cat 10 and eventually found the ideal one which was RIP Control 17 at 62/62.
It seems to reduce the "catapulting" to reasonable level.
But RIP Control doesn't last very long, so I always tried to move to something more durable. Have tried Pro Hurricane 17 at 58/58 and it was the best so far, but concerns over my GE pushed me to search further.

I have strung Cat 10 with Signum Plasma 1.18 at 57/57, following the recommendation on the pack about 10% drop from my normal tension,
even made it higher by 1 lbs.

Disaster. Trampoline is huge and even spin can't force the ball into the court.
The string is quite soft and Pro Hurricane is better at spin generation.
So my conclusion is not to drop tension at all or drop it just a little bit.
They say, reduce tension by 10% because the string doesn't lose tension.
Now I am thinking - good, I will play like with freshly strung racket every day,
but why do I have to reduce tension originally?
I am not giving up, next will be Sig Plasma in Cat 10 at 60/60 or even 62/62.

So, it's not a bad string if you string at right tension.
It's softer than Hurricane, almost as good at spin.
Will see about durability and tension maintanance.

Word of caution to who doesn't know what Cat 10 is.
This racket has "catapult" in it, very distinct feel, very distinct play from any racket. So, Sig Plasma at 57/57 might be pretty good in other racket.

mark1
10-26-2005, 07:27 PM
i think that most people here would recommend closer to a 5 percent drop in tension with a poly. try that and see how it works out. good luck!

Jerry Seinfeld
10-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I usually do not recommend dropping the tension with the Poly Plasma. I do, however, drop it by 5% in some instances. i.e. When I have a junior switching over to poly for the first time and in those cases I hybrid it with soft solid core and drop the poly tension 5% off of the previous synthetic gut tension.

man-walking
10-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Disaster. Trampoline is huge and even spin can't force the ball into the court.
The string is quite soft and Pro Hurricane is better at spin generation.
So my conclusion is not to drop tension at all or drop it just a little bit.
They say, reduce tension by 10% because the string doesn't lose tension.
Now I am thinking - good, I will play like with freshly strung racket every day,
but why do I have to reduce tension originally?
I am not giving up, next will be Sig Plasma in Cat 10 at 60/60 or even 62/62.
No, you have totally wrong the gauge, you can't manage to play with the 18ga with that 100' 16x19 racquet, you should have had to go with the 16L at the suggested (5-10% dropped) tension.
Hurricane has some friction and this prevents excessive pop (even at thinnest gauge) and string movement but this seem to rip out any feel. Plasma instead has a very smooth surface (like Touch Turbo) and crisp response, that gives superior feel but too thin gauge and/or too open stringbed results in a too lively sweet-spot, a I'd say generally a bad combo.

If you CAN, try the 1.28 version at "low" tension. ;)

Zverev
10-30-2005, 01:59 AM
No, you have totally wrong the gauge, you can't manage to play with the 18ga with that 100' 16x19 racquet, you should have had to go with the 16L at the suggested (5-10% dropped) tension.
Hurricane has some friction and this prevents excessive pop (even at thinnest gauge) and string movement but this seem to rip out any feel. Plasma instead has a very smooth surface (like Touch Turbo) and crisp response, that gives superior feel but too thin gauge and/or too open stringbed results in a too lively sweet-spot, a I'd say generally a bad combo.

If you CAN, try the 1.28 version at "low" tension. ;)
Thanks for this suggestion.
Basically you are saying that thinner gauge is too powerful for that tension.

I am usually working from the opposite side, first I chose gauge that is durable enough for my game, then I chose tension to make that gauge controllable.
But not that I fix tension first and then chose gauge that is stiff enough to control that tension.
Cat 10 is 98sq not 100sq., flexible racquet. It's not Babolat.

man-walking
10-30-2005, 05:11 AM
Basically you are saying that thinner gauge is too powerful for that tension.
Yes, but this is the final consequence, as I said Plasma has a smooth surface... in general it permits an easy sliding (this also contributes to its comfort), because of the much less friction and the material.

Because of the easy sliding, the 18ga string during shots moves quite more than you think (just because after that it returns in place) and it stretches and 'communicates' between the sides of racquet very easily giving a too much open feel and *results*, like playing a 2x4.
Any fast ball pop of the stringbed before you can humanly impart any spin.
Even raising tension to the 18ga can't solve the problem, you'll always end to have an unpredictable response between centered shots and the not bad ones.

Stringbed weaving should have a *minimun* of hardness to be playable.

TheSneakerologist
10-30-2005, 09:00 PM
im using a slaz x1 95 inch and 16 by 18 pattern are you saying that 17 gauge unique is to powerful for me as well? Im thinkin about moving to 18's too because of playability. Yeah anyways when I got my Signums the trampoline effect was a bit*H

davidcal
10-31-2005, 07:08 AM
I was just hitting with this racquet yesterday. Try the Signum Poly Megaforce or Lux Alu Power in the Cat10. This stick is very forgiving of stiff strings because of the moderating effect of the catapult. I usually string in the mid 50s. The silver strings with a silver frame also looks good. Just my 2c.

man-walking
10-31-2005, 08:28 AM
im using a slaz x1 95 inch and 16 by 18 pattern are you saying that 17 gauge unique is to powerful for me as well? Im thinkin about moving to 18's too because of playability. Yeah anyways when I got my Signums the trampoline effect was a bit*H
I have a n6.1 95 (16x18 ), which is very similar to X1, Plasma 18 is unplayable at times even with the medium/high tension range, the only good thing in this bad gauge combo is that plasma hold its tension very well.
About polyesters or similar stiff/control strings, I would advice something between 1.25-1.30 range, for X1, n6.1 95 and any 'powerful' 95' with 16x18.
Different story if string can't be considered smooth like average polys (as ex. Babolat Pro Hurricane doesn't slide smoothly like others).

Rasing tension to compensate excessive pop is often a bad idea when you must go ahead medium tension and/or if want good sweetspot at same time.

christo
11-02-2005, 01:14 AM
If you have a frame that tends to " catapult" the ball I suggest you try to mitigate that with a Monofilament string, possibly like Toa Silencer. I found Signum PP very spongy and inconsistent on the stringbed. You need control so look for a firm string, it doesn't need to be expensive.BTW any Poly you choose will be DEAD in 2 weeks so why bother.