PDA

View Full Version : NXT to what gut? or what mono?

tarkowski
10-26-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm currently using Wilson NXT 17 @57 in an nSixOne 95 18x20. The first 10 hours or so are fantastic. I really like this string for the combination of power, control, and feel. After a couple of weeks of matches though, the string bed loosens up quite a bit and the racquet becomes more powerful than I'd like. I can compensate with more topspin on my groundies for a while, but after another couple of weeks I'm really wanting a restringing.

I'm mainly interested in the tension-holding property of gut - but I'm hesitant about it because I've read it's more powerful as well. s long as the more power comes with more control due to pocketing, I think I'd like this as well.

I've never been a string-breaker and haven't looked into mono's for that reason. But I've read that mono's can help lower the power of the string bed, and when used in a hybrid setting, wouldn't be too harsh. This sounds appealing to me as well.

But which brand? If I like NXT, will I like Wilson gut? Would it be better to try a mono-hybrid mix with my NXT first?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Kevo
10-27-2005, 01:42 PM
I'd probably try a full set of gut to start with since you aren't a string breaker. I'd also start at your usual tension. Since you can handle NXT after it's lost quite a bit of tension, you should have a pretty good experience with gut. It maintains it's properties much longer.

tarkowski
10-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks Kevo, I'm going to give it a try. Any brand you would reccommend? Babolat, Klip, Wilson, BDE?

Proud Pusher
10-28-2005, 06:23 AM
My favorite set up is natural gut mains and Gosen OG Sheep crosses.
I have tried lieterally every string on the market including an all gut job,
which sometimes seems almost too powerful?

I think the synthetic crosses tame the power just as bit while still giving
you the feel of natural gut at a better cost.

I was using BDE Perf which seems hard to get lately, so I got in some
Bab Tonic to give it a try.

Ken