PDA

View Full Version : How long does gut last?

BancroftFRS
10-27-2005, 08:45 AM
The last time I used gut was in a wood raquet 27 years ago. How long does it last?

doriancito
10-27-2005, 08:49 AM
The last time I used gut was in a wood raquet 27 years ago. How long does it last?
WOW, how old are you?

BancroftFRS
10-27-2005, 08:51 AM
44 years old

diredesire
10-27-2005, 09:05 AM
The answer is: It depends.

If you're a chronic string breaker chances are you're not going to get as much life out of it as you'd like. In a dense pattern, or for a non-string breaker, it will last you surprisingly long. I've heard reports up to 6x the time of a normal syn gut. However, you need to take care of the gut, keep it out of major temperature fluctuations, and don't expose it to too much moisture. This means keep it dry. along with this is to not let it dry out... (i'm sure you can start sensing the amount of hassle this will be... but it's worth it!)

Sometimes when people notice their strings "drying out", they apply a little bit of the thermogut coating from babolat, or they put some baby or extra virgin olive oil on their strings to keep them moist.

Clip off any fraying pieces if they become a problem, and enjoy your string job!

bigserving
10-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Contributing factors on gut life will include,

The brand of string, and string gauge
String tension
Racquet stiffness and density of string pattern
Humidity
Stroke style (flat or spin)
Player's power

I use BDE Performance in a soft frame with an 18X20 string pattern and I get about fifty to seventy hours out of a set.

LoveThisGame
10-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Once upon a time, a tennis player would stop playing for years as they got started in career, marriage, etc. where time and money are often short. Their racquet, wood or later and strung with natural gut, went into the closet. Years later, they would fetch the racquet and go out and play, with no problems.

Today, and for a 2-3 decades, the same scenario but with synthetic gut, they would find the string tension to be low enough to not enjoy tennis without re-stringing.

Marius_Hancu
10-27-2005, 09:18 AM
keep your gut rackets in a tied plastic bag, at the bottom of your fridge. seriously. perhaps add some water absorbing stuff inside the bag (I don't).

I have this from one of Sampras' stringers and it works in terms of extending the lifetime.

get a very experienced stringer. others might bend or nick it inappropriately. signs of that: it breaks on the periphery soon after stringing.

don't prestretch it: it will lose its liveliness (from the same stringer)--better than doing that that, use a synthetic, it's cheaper.

BancroftFRS
10-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Would you let TW string your raquet w/gut?

NoBadMojo
10-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Modern gut is only marginally more difficult and time consuming to string than synthetics, and I think it is far less of a pain than stringing poly..I am sure TW has good stringers on their staff..i wouldnt be reluctant to use them. Another longevity factor is the surface you play on..i prob get about 1/2 the life out of gut playing on HarTru, but even at that am getting about twice the life as I was getting compared to when I was using NRG2 (both 17ga)

Marius_Hancu
10-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Would you let TW string your raquet w/gut?

only if I knew personally the stringer and/or had experience with him.
I am doing here in the best shops here, shops stringing for Masters.
not everybody does the same kind of work.

tlm
10-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I have used gut for some time now + it will last a long time.The most durable i have found is pacific toughgut, also the best playing.I hit with a lot of topspin + it still lasts,modern gut is nothing like the old stuff. with coated gut today humidity can not affect the string,if you use uncoated which still has some coating you should wipe down with a slightly damp cloth let dry + use a good canuba car wax on the string after play. I have put over 60 hours of play on a set of gut with no problem i cut them out because they were getting a little to soft, yes gut will lose enough tension over time, but that is a long time. when you see a fray use babolat elastro cross string savers.Note when i say damp cloth i mean just a couple sprinkles of water on a cotton rag, your trying to remove dirt from the string, dry with clean rag + wax .