PDA

View Full Version : Stressing the Frame Bottom Up?

TennsDog
10-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I know that when stringing a racket it is best to string it from the top of the head to the bottom. However, I don't exactly know why stringing from the bottom up causes undue stress to the frame versus stringing top down. Most racket heads are more-or-less symmetrical about the horizontal midpoint, so what is so different about starting at the bottom? I have always strung this way (top down) and I have read many posts that advise against stringing bottom up, but I have never seen any that explains it further than "it causes more stress."

David Pavlich
10-27-2005, 05:25 PM
The strongest part of the frame's hoop is at the throat. When strung throat to head, the frame is being compressed from the strongest point to the weakest point creating excessive stress where it is least tolerated.

Best advice: don't take the chance, especially if it's someone else's frame...string from the head to the throat.

David

Richie Rich
10-27-2005, 07:42 PM
David is spot on. even though some racquet manufacturers say it's ok to string throat to head I don't take the chance.

if the racquet pattern doesn't allow head to throat crosses (mains tie off at bottom of head) , use around the world pattern or 2 peice method.