PDA

View Full Version : Pathologic string breaker needs help.

Happyneige
10-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi there. I break a string every 1-2 weeks. (I play 4-5 times/week and hit with lots of topspin on both forehand and backhand.) I have tried various kinds of strings but found no significant difference among them. Recommended by the pro at the club, I am now using Poly main and NXT 16 cross, strung about 10/15 above the suggested tension. Now, instead of breaking the main string, I'm breaking the cross string every 2 weeks. My questions are...

1. What's the downside of stringing much above the suggested tension? And how much can you go above?
2. What's the difference between using poly as main and NXT as cross and vice-versa?
3. Will string saver help add the lifespan of the string?

Thanks...
:mrgreen:

Jerry Seinfeld
10-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Crossing a multifiber string like NXT with a poly is a recipe for short string life. The polys saw through the multis. Try a soft solid core string for a cross instead of a multi. One of my favorite soft solid cores for a hybrid is Laserfibre Synthetic Gut Classic. My favorite available from TW is Ektelon Power Play.

In your case stringsavers will do no good.

Good luck!

LoveThisGame
10-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Where in the string grid are your breaks? If near the outside, such as near the tip area, the reason can be shear due to a mishit there. IOW, the string has to absorb more than it is capable of.

Pulling back from W to SW grips can help get consistency in impact point and help avoid shear string breaks.

My feeling is that if you believe you need to string 15 pounds over tension (with topspin) in order to keep the ball in the court, you are playing with the wrong frame.

My feeling is that if you hit with extreme topspin, you are unlikely to have any other weapon, others will find ways to neutralize your topspin if they are late teenager or older, and you are vulnerable to foes with effective slices.

With regard to the orientation of a hybrid, typically the mains take the most beating and therefore polyester is used for mains. Stringsavers can help ... a bit.

Happyneige
10-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Crossing a multifiber string like NXT with a poly is a recipe for short string life. The polys saw through the multis. Try a soft solid core string for a cross instead of a multi. One of my favorite soft solid cores for a hybrid is Laserfibre Synthetic Gut Classic. My favorite available from TW is Ektelon Power Play.

In your case stringsavers will do no good.

Good luck!

Thanks, Jerry. I'll certainly look into that.

fist pump
10-27-2005, 07:33 PM
switch the crosses to a synthetic - like prince SGD or forten sweet .

snoflewis
10-27-2005, 08:16 PM
well....higher tensions add to greater string breakage because the strings are rubbing against each other at much higher tensions. In this case, string savers would help. If you string w/ poly mains and multi crosses, your crosses are always gonna break. to help prolong string life, use synthetic gut for your crosses, or swithc to a racket w/ a denser string pattern.

Two Fister
10-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Have you tried a full poly job?

With the Surge, you should be able to string all BigBanger ALU Power instead of a hybrid and that should feel good, hit well, and last longer.