PDA

View Full Version : Don't like multis

spirit
10-28-2005, 07:53 AM
I can't say that I am any kind of an expert here, but I don't seem to like multis in my racquet. I've tried some of the most noted, including NXT and NXT max, and Technifibre Ematrix (is that a multi?) and they seem too "springy" to me. I favor the solid core synthetics like Gamma TNT and TNT Fat Core. And I love natural gut. Because of this I wonder if I am being inconsistent in my preferences, since I believe the multis are supposed to be closer to natural gut than are the solid cores. Is that the opinion of those on the board that have had more experience with different strings than I have had, that the multis are closer to natural gut than the solid cores?

max
10-28-2005, 08:00 AM
I used to like multis when they started coming out, thought the higher price meant a better product (doesn't it always?). But for me, it really is a matter of fitting the string type to the frame. Some racquets seemed to NEED a multi, while others did better with just plain synthetic gut.

Princegod
10-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Spirit I'm in the same boat. The multi's I've tried felt soft and mushy and instead prefer the feel of soild core synthetics -- also natural gut is one of my favorites. But I am going to give multi's one more try, because I think I've tried the wrong ones.

I think you probably like "crisp" strings like me, so I'm going to try some crisp multi's such as Gamma Revelation, Wilson Reaction, and Laserfibre Supreme. I'm going to try these strings in the next few months, and will see how it goes. If I can't find something I like out of these strings, I'll probably just stay away from multi's altogether.

spirit
10-28-2005, 09:13 AM

I think you probably like "crisp" strings like me, so I'm going to try some crisp multi's such as Gamma Revelation, Wilson Reaction, and Laserfibre Supreme. I'm going to try these strings in the next few months, and will see how it goes. If I can't find something I like out of these strings, I'll probably just stay away from multi's altogether.

Yep, you got that right. I like crisp feeling/sounding strings. I guess that's why I prefer the solid core synthetics. Too me natural gut has a similar crisp feel/sound to it. The sound of the natural gut is probably a bit more "solid" and there is an increase in a feel of the string pocketing the ball with the natual gut. However at tripple or more cost.

LoveThisGame
10-28-2005, 11:12 AM
I, too, tend to dislike multifilaments, some more than others. People are different and their "tastes" are different.

One set on Sensation NXT and the mushy feeling makes me go to another racquet. Tecnifibre Biphase is a multi that I like. But I tend to like crispness and many poly hybrids feel very good (I haven't tried a multi in the crossses).

fastdunn
10-28-2005, 12:52 PM
I can't say that I am any kind of an expert here, but I don't seem to like multis in my racquet. I've tried some of the most noted, including NXT and NXT max, and Technifibre Ematrix (is that a multi?) and they seem too "springy" to me. I favor the solid core synthetics like Gamma TNT and TNT Fat Core. And I love natural gut. Because of this I wonder if I am being inconsistent in my preferences, since I believe the multis are supposed to be closer to natural gut than are the solid cores. Is that the opinion of those on the board that have had more experience with different strings than I have had, that the multis are closer to natural gut than the solid cores?

Yep, that's why I settled down to crisp multi's.

Like most people, I started from solid core nylon.
Then I looked for more feel and tried multi's but got turned off
by similar reasons as yours and also short span of playability
maintenance. Then I rode the polyester craze for a while
but had to retreat because my wrist hurted.
I'm now happy with crisp multi's and saving natural gut for
later when I got older like 50's or more....

Princegod
10-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Yep, that's why I settled down to crisp multi's.

Like most people, I started from solid core nylon.
Then I looked for more feel and tried multi's but got turned off
by similar reasons as yours and also short span of playability
maintenance. Then I rode the polyester craze for a while
but had to retreat because my wrist hurted.
I'm now happy with crisp multi's and saving natural gut for
later when I got older like 50's or more....

fastdunn, which crisp multi is your favorite (?), also do you use 16 ga or 17 ga?

Flatspin
10-28-2005, 03:47 PM
I like the feel and response of a synthetic .... solid core. Two of my favorite Synthetic guts are Bobolat's Powergy 16 and Gamma's Prodigy. Powergy is a favorite .... the Prodigy the firmer with a less power. The Powergy .... slightly softer but a little more powerful. Powergy is very durable and prefer it in dense string patterns. The Prodigy seems to work better in the open pattern frames.

Richie Rich
10-28-2005, 04:05 PM
babolat fibertour is pretty good too. laserfibre strings have been raved about on the boards for "crispness" but i've never tried them.

i used to use tecnifibre nrg or wilson nxt exclusively but have since switched to lux (or similar poly) mains and soft syn gut cross for the added spin and better durability.

156MPHserve
10-28-2005, 10:42 PM
I didn't like the Babolat Xcell Premium much at all... it was soft on the arm but it felt like jello. Sensation felt pretty crisp... nice cheap string. Maybe because I'm young, I don't have a problem with solid core's either... Hoping to try out natural gut sometime but just can't dish out the money at the moment.

TennsDog
10-29-2005, 09:32 AM
The strings I like are most cheap synthetic guts and Iso-Speed. The strings I don't like (besides poly and kevlar) are natural gut and soft multis. NXT is one string that I played with one time and just felt no control at all, and natural gut strings just don't feel like they are as solid. I don't know, it's kind of hard to explain on that one, but natural gut strings kind of feel like they are hitting the ball rather than driving through it.

fastdunn
10-31-2005, 03:11 PM
fastdunn, which crisp multi is your favorite (?), also do you use 16 ga or 17 ga?

LF Supreme 17 gauge and Yonex 850 pro (not 'spin") 16L.