PDA

View Full Version : Is this a horrible combo?

morganman
10-28-2005, 08:40 PM
My dad decided to try hybriding yesterday for the first time and he used 16g ALU Power for the mains and 17g wilson sensation for the crosses i told him i thought it was a bad idea but he thought it would be a good combo for durability i disagreed and thought it would play weird what do you think?

supersmash
10-28-2005, 08:46 PM
ALU in the mains is always a good combo for durability, no matter what you have in the crosses.

rfederer32291
10-28-2005, 09:05 PM
That is a pretty decent combo. I wouldn't really go for the sensation crosses, because they move around a lot, and the durability isn't that great.

KickServer
10-28-2005, 09:25 PM
You must really like the way sensation plays. Personally, I would not use sensation for crosses if durability is what I'm are looking for. It's a multifilament. The ALU will cut through multis a lot fast than a mono as the crosses. I suggest using a mono for the crosses.

True, ALU Power is durable, but once your crosses snap, you have to string your whole racquet again. I see it as a waste of ALU Power.

doriancito
10-28-2005, 09:29 PM
its going to be durable , i dont know much of the sensation though

Ronaldo
10-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Never broke a cross in my life, this really happens?

doriancito
10-28-2005, 09:41 PM
yes it happens, once i did....only once! i dont recall how, i was just playing then i look at the strings to replace them, like agasi does in his brakes and i saw a corss broken, and i was like "how long have i been playing this way?" i didnt recall breaking it!

ragnaROK
10-28-2005, 10:48 PM
It's a good combo. The Sensation softens up the ALU hybrid.

Return_Ace
10-29-2005, 05:48 AM

indeed, when i had NXT it was the crosses that started fraying and eventually broke, the mains looked perfectly fine, i asked my stringer why they snapped first and he said it was because of the way pepole hit the ball, when he was at the Yonex meeting at wimbledon, he said that he saw ancic's rackets were also snapped more at the crosses than mains.

rfederer32291
10-29-2005, 07:57 AM
When I was using Tecnifibre NRG2, the crosses frayed like crazy, and then eventually broke.

LoveThisGame
10-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Hybrids with Kevlar or polyester are fairly apt to result in cross string breakage. Less so with Kevlar. I MAY remember 1 or 2 situations of cross breakage with other string, and I've strung over 20 years.