PDA

View Full Version : New Raquet, New Strings or String Savers

EcheloN
10-29-2005, 10:01 PM
I use quite a lot of spin and i break my strings about 4-6 times a season (playing about 2-3 hours a week). my mum is getting sick of replacing/restringings my strings and wants to know what i can do. these are my options

1. Keep replacing strings
2. Buy string savers
3. Buy a new raquet

also:
-for option 2, should i buy better strings , if so which ones
-for option 3, is it my raquet's fault, or me putting too much spin on it
-for option 2, do string savers effect my gameplay
-for option 1, should i use better/more expensive strings

Thanks in advance
EcheloN

Return_Ace
10-30-2005, 01:10 AM
ewll, i think you need to tell us about your current set-up, your racket and strings your currently using

-for option 2, should i buy better strings , if so which ones

I don't see the relelvence between string savesr and better strings........ :/

-for option 3, is it my raquet's fault, or me putting too much spin on it

well, you could blame the racket if its got a really open string pattern like the O3 or FP Tour or even a POG, but if you have a dense pattern like the PC600 i dont' think you can blame the racket. Also, i don't think you can blame your stroke, sure if you use a western grip you'll get more spin, but thats the way you play, and adjusting your stroke so you don't break as many strings imo shuoldn't be done.

-for option 2, do string savers effect my gameplay

Some have said that their is less bite with string savers and some complain that the strings move around too much, but its down to personal opinion.

-for option 1, should i use better/more expensive strings

without knowing your string set-up, i would say move down a gauge, like if your on an 18g then go to 17g, and 17g->18g etc... also you might want to try some more durable strings such as the Big Banger Range or some of the durable strings that TW reccomends........

Welcome to the Boards :)

EcheloN
10-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Im using a prince force 3, symitar midplus TI. and synthetic gut gamma strings. (i dont know much about rackets or strings , sorry.) it also says -
strings: 16X20@58 +/-5LBS / 26 / +/-2Kgs

Hope it helps

Return_Ace
10-31-2005, 02:02 PM
ok, first, find out what gauge they are, it should say a no. between 16 an 18, if its 18 ask for the 17, if its the 17, ask for the 16, if its sixteen, we'll try something else :), oks i can't find the racket on here or on the princetennis site, so thats annnoying -.-' however check to see the headsize of the racket too, it should say somewhere how many cm² or sq.inches.

anyways, the main thing i'd try would be the thickening of the gauge of string (i.e. the 17 -> 16 stuff). you could try the string savers, but i've never used them since i don't snap strings often. another thing would be to get a differen;t type of string, have a look at the durable strings in the TW section here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage.html?CREF=34

i'd reccomend something like BB Alu, or Babolat Pro Hurricane (lot cheaper than BB Alu) probably the hurricane you should start at 17g and work down if it still snaps easily, if that doesn't work, then go onto BB alu, i've heard it has geat durability.... i currently using it and have had it in since mid July and it still looks strong, but then i only play an hour a week :(

volleyman
10-31-2005, 02:14 PM
I've been using string savers lately, and they have been effective at extending string life for me. I don't find that they adversely affect how the racquet plays. Some folks claim that string savers increase ball bite - I can only report that, for me, they definitely don't decrease it.

If you like how your current set up plays, I'd try the string savers before dropping string gauge. If the string savers don't work, or don't work well enough, then drop gauge and try again.

Valjean
11-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Even playing just 2-3 hours a week, breaking strings 4-6 times in a season isn't *that* bad. Introducing string savers is supposed to extend the life of your stringbed by roughly a third; if you're keen on the one you've been using, they might satisfy you.

Your quick solution is to skip the savers and go to a thicker gauge and lower your tension. You might not notice that for the amount you play now, too.

Chemical
11-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Even playing just 2-3 hours a week, breaking strings 4-6 times in a season isn't *that* bad. Introducing string savers is supposed to extend the life of your stringbed by roughly a third; if you're keen on the one you've been using, they might satisfy you.

Your quick solution is to skip the savers and go to a thicker gauge and lower your tension. You might not notice that for the amount you play now, too.
I agree. If you want to stick with the string you are using, use string savers. They are pretty easy to use. If you are looking for a new type of string I would say, Hurrican or VRex. Or some type of hybrid.