PDA

View Full Version : natural gut is by far the best string

tlm
10-30-2005, 06:59 PM
i just wanted to comment on all the discussion of synthetic strings.I have tried a lot of different synthetics + have come to the conclusion they all suck,most will play pretty good for maybe 2-3 matches after that forget it.The best i found was tnt2 proplus, still limited life ,luxilon short life hard on arm . I tried a lot of different strings this summer including hybrids with gut +syn.+ came to the conclusion that if you string yourself + you want to use syn. string, then put new string in every week. But if you want to use the ultimate string then use gut,the best gut out there is pacific tough gut it will out last babolat vs anytime.The last set i put in lasted a month + that was uncoated , i played every day + some times twice a day. It played better with age until the end it was getting a little soft but it still didnt break i cut them out! Thats over 60 hours of play + the string played great until the very end. Racket i use babolat pure control mp strung with toughgut 16l at 48 lbs on mains +crosses at 51lbs, + yes i have strung this string up to 72lbs in other rackets with no problem.

SteveI
10-31-2005, 02:36 AM
i just wanted to comment on all the discussion of synthetic strings.I have tried a lot of different synthetics + have come to the conclusion they all suck,most will play pretty good for maybe 2-3 matches after that forget it.The best i found was tnt2 proplus, still limited life ,luxilon short life hard on arm . I tried a lot of different strings this summer including hybrids with gut +syn.+ came to the conclusion that if you string yourself + you want to use syn. string, then put new string in every week. But if you want to use the ultimate string then use gut,the best gut out there is pacific tough gut it will out last babolat vs anytime.The last set i put in lasted a month + that was uncoated , i played every day + some times twice a day. It played better with age until the end it was getting a little soft but it still didnt break i cut them out! Thats over 60 hours of play + the string played great until the very end. Racket i use babolat pure control mp strung with toughgut 16l at 48 lbs on mains +crosses at 51lbs, + yes i have strung this string up to 72lbs in other rackets with no problem.

Hi,

Some would say that Nat Gut is the best deal on the market (if you are not a "string breaker"). Great comfort, little tension loss, great playability and access to power on demand. Say you are a player that rotates 5 or six frames.. you might get an entire season out of these frames and never have to restring, the tension would hold (therefore playability), your arm would feel great and there would be less wear and tear on your frames from restinging.. 5 or 6 times each season (making your frames last longer.. ie saving ya more cash). Maybe NoBadMojo will have some thoughts on this one. Have a great day!

Regards,
Steve

max
10-31-2005, 04:36 AM
I've figured that rather than noodling with various strings, tensions, etc., and doing all that work and anxiety, that I'll just go ahead and pay the extra $10-$15 and get gut, which is said to last longer anyway. For me, that settles all that.

Rabbit
10-31-2005, 05:06 AM
I'm still playing with a frame strung with Klip Legend Uncoated 16 and it's probably got another month or so life in it. I agree that $ for $, you can't beat the performance of gut.

ChicagoJack
10-31-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm still playing with a frame strung with Klip Legend Uncoated 16 and it's probably got another month or so life in it. I agree that $ for $, you can't beat the performance of gut.

Hey Rabbit,

Could you guesstimate / translate that into hours per set until breakage?

Thanks
-Jack

jackson vile
10-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Chicago Jack I have some questions about the t10 GenII would you email me at jacksonvile@hotmail.com?

thanks

Rabbit
10-31-2005, 11:45 AM
I'd bet that I have at least 10 - 20 more hours of play in these. After about 30 hours, they're starting to fray pretty good.

fishuuuuu
10-31-2005, 12:39 PM
How does Gut react to humidity? Will it randomly snap or will it be more prone to snap in humid weather?

When storing a gut job will keeping it under a fan and inside a cool room with a poly bag be good enough?

Rabbit
10-31-2005, 01:04 PM
I live in the southeast where it is very humid. I've had no problems with gut in my frames at all. You shouldn't have to do anything special. I wouldn't leave my frames in the car, the garage, or any other place subject to varied temperature/humidity. But then I wouldn't do that with synthetic in them either.

fishuuuuu
10-31-2005, 01:26 PM
I string my own racquets and other people's racquets for money. I have strung maybe 50+ racquets, is it a safer idea to have an experienced gut stringer do it for me?

Radical Shot
10-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Yes, I'm starting to come around to gut. I am a big Luxilon fan and have been using polyesters for a long time now. I have just started using gut (in a Pro Staff 6.0 85) and can definately see the benefits of this string.

Big Banger is good stuff, but it does die quickly compared with the gut which is still as good as the day it was strung (weeks ago). The string job looks brand new so I am pretty impressed with the durability of gut. So far I've used it for several hours, including several days where the humidity was very high - even light rain! No problems so far.

Pacific gut

Keifers
10-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Question(s) for the Pacific gut users here:
Is there an initial "break in" period with this nat gut? Or does it seem pretty playable right away? Please describe, say, the first 10 hours of this gut's life.

Thanks in advance.

mctennis
10-31-2005, 07:43 PM
I agree with the original poster. I've tried different strings and always come back to gut. Holds it's tension, plays great, wonderful control and power, no true break in period and , for me anyway, it lasts longer. All in all a better bargain than constantly restringing the synthetic strings a lot sooner, expecially Gamma strings. I agree with Steve here, if you rotate your racquets the gut lasts a lot longer without a lot of noticible difference.

Proud Pusher
11-01-2005, 05:40 AM
Fishuuuu, Stringing gut is not rocket science, just go slowly and make sure
not to kink it, weave crosses slowly, and don't clamp strings too tight.

A light prestretch helps alot with coil memory.

Ken

christo
11-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Well, I think we are coming full circle here, Rabbit was a hope to die Timo lover and now he's back to NG, I went thru the same poly phase but there are 3 major problems : (1) You can really ***k your arm
(2) It's dead in about a week or two
(3) Very little touch
I think my most efficient set up has been : Gut mains X Poly crosses
Multi m's X Poly x's
Gut m's X Multi x's
Full Multi set up.
If I had my druthers ( and I do) I would go with NG mains and a Multi or Mono Cross , This string job would have it all . Cost efficient, tension maintenance, easy on the arm, good til the last drop. or dropshot.

Rabbit
11-02-2005, 03:09 AM
Well, I'm not saying I won't go back to TIMO some day. But, you're right, the biggest problem I have with TIMO (or any poly) is that they don't last very long. The playing life is really short. Based on this, I think NG is a cheaper alternative.

IMO, NG doesn't do well below about 60 degress, you're better off with a multi. For the winter, I'm going with a good multi. Next spring, I'll probably be stringing one of my frames with some Legend 18. :)