PDA

View Full Version : Titan gut is garbage!

Waimea_Boy
10-30-2005, 08:44 PM
First off, TW happily refunded my purchase price for the Titan gut. It is the lowest quality gut that I've ever seen. It was yellow and frayed while stringing. The stringer had one half break on the machine and the other half frayed while stringing and lasted 5 minutes in my racquet before breaking.

ffrpg
10-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about buying a set, but I guess I'll spend a couple extra bucks and get something else.

christo
10-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the info, I almost picked up the phone to order some but now I will get a good MF instead

OnyxZ28
10-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Whew! Thanks for the heads-up, I was about to pick up a set or two myself.

monologuist
10-31-2005, 10:19 AM
yes it is pretty cheapo stuff....it could work as a cross string if you like gut crosses...but in the mains, it brekas easily.

basil J
10-31-2005, 11:03 AM
I am surprised. I ordered a couple sets 2 weeks ago. They were both clear and unblemished. I have them in my 03 tours, one at 62#, one at 64#. Lots of pop and with string savers placed in the sweetspot, mimimal movement. They have about 6 hours of play so far and show very little wear. They are certainly more powerful than my usual set up. My stringer said they were crap, and he claimed that he had a hard time doing the crosses, but I can't tell if he is ****ed that i did not buy gut from him, or if he is being honest. They do feel a little brittle to the touch for natural gut, but they have been playing decently. I don't think that I will continue with them if i can't harness the extra power. The 03 tour is already pretty powerful and I had good control with the adrenalin set up. I will keep posting on the playtesting. I have 3 sessions booked this week, so I will have a better idea by weeks end on durability.

Waimea_Boy
10-31-2005, 02:02 PM
yes it is pretty cheapo stuff....it could work as a cross string if you like gut crosses...but in the mains, it brekas easily.
Nope. I broke 4 CROSSES. I've never seen anything like it. 4 crosses blew up 5 minutes into hitting. That was in a hybrid with SPPP as the mains, so there wasn't a lot of friction between the two.

Matt Choi
11-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Feels very nice with Hurricane main and Titan cross. Going on 4 hrs strong in a pc600.

Bryan Aldridge
11-01-2005, 07:26 PM
As far as i'm concerned, Babolat is the best and always will be. They've been producing it the longest, and its what the pros play with. It may have a "heavy coating" -- that doesn't make it the softest gut but why would you want to play with other guts that fray and break quickly? Babolat is superior in almost every category especially durability. It is also the easiest to string. I can't understand why people will invest in second grade inferior gut for nearly the same price -- only to have it prematurely snap. With Tonic costing $24.99 its the best deal out there for the money. One can argue that BDE / Klip / BOW brands whatever are just as good, but face it, if they were the pros would be using it.

armand
11-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Nope. I broke 4 CROSSES. I've never seen anything like it. 4 crosses blew up 5 minutes into hitting. That was in a hybrid with SPPP as the mains, so there wasn't a lot of friction between the two.Yeah, how does that happen? Last week the dude I was playing against broke 3 mains of some sythetic. Wasn't a particularly hard hit either.
As far as i'm concerned, Babolat is the best and always will be. They've been producing it the longest, and its what the pros play with. It may have a "heavy coating" -- that doesn't make it the softest gut but why would you want to play with other guts that fray and break quickly? Babolat is superior in almost every category especially durability. It is also the easiest to string. I can't understand why people will invest in second grade inferior gut for nearly the same price -- only to have it prematurely snap. With Tonic costing $24.99 its the best deal out there for the money. One can argue that BDE / Klip / BOW brands whatever are just as good, but face it, if they were the pros would be using it.Yeah but the pros don't use Tonic+, do they? So it's a question about which is the best between Tonic+, KLiP Legend and BDE.

BreakPoint
11-01-2005, 10:22 PM
One can argue that BDE / Klip / BOW brands whatever are just as good, but face it, if they were the pros would be using it.

I think, like with racquets, the pros will use whatever they can get for free or whoever pays them the most. It's all about $$$$$$.

DX_Psycho
11-01-2005, 10:38 PM
well if otehr string made them play better, i think they would pay out of their pocket for it.

better strings = better playing = more wins = a lot more money than string costs.

BreakPoint
11-01-2005, 10:40 PM
well if otehr string made them play better, i think they would pay out of their pocket for it.

better strings = better playing = more wins = a lot more money than string costs.

Well, isn't that true with racquets, too? But most pros do sign with the racquet company that pays them the most bucks.

Waimea_Boy
11-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Well, isn't that true with racquets, too? But most pros do sign with the racquet company that pays them the most bucks.
That's only because they can still play with whatever racquet they want and just get it as a PJ from their sponsor.

If I go with gut again, I'll go with Babolat. It's too powerful at 59lbs as the mains in my O3 Tour, but my wrist has never felt better. My crosses are SPPP 18g.

BreakPoint
11-02-2005, 01:33 PM
That's only because they can still play with whatever racquet they want and just get it as a PJ from their sponsor.

How do you know their strings aren't paintjobs, too? I mean, anyone can stencil two stripes on their strings and say they're using Babolat strings, right?

BTW, most (not all) paintjob racquets are older, discontinued models from the same manufacturer, and not a different brand. Also, most pros using Babolat racquets are not paintjobs of other brands, so I suspect many use them because Babolat paid them the most or gave them free racquets when they were juniors.

doriancito
11-02-2005, 01:42 PM
TW should warn people! BTW what tension on which racquet where you stringing it on?

kenyee
11-02-2005, 02:13 PM
that's what the reviews are for...I already put in my opinions of that boardy Klip Legend gut :-)

PrestigeClassic
11-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Given the type of reviews of Titan gut here before TW carried it, I wonder if greed entered into the equation. Come on, it was a $11.00 **** string before, and not even worth that. The only thing good about it was the old skool packaging; I was itching to string it. Then it broke at the grommets in my closet. Then another job unraveled at a knot (could have also been at least partly the fault of the stringer person). At any rate, I found the gut prone to unraveling into two main strands or something. I love good VS/Wilson gut, but if this Titan would solve its grave durability problems, then it might be worth it...at the past **** price of $11.00. Otherwise, I'd rather string a frame with dry grass and horse hair.