PDA

View Full Version : Differences between Alu Power and Poly Plasma

Reel
10-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Hi, people of TW forum. This is my first post.
I'm playing with Luxilon Alu power strung at 55/53 lbs and I would like to know the main differences between Alu and Poly Plasma. Someone have already tried both strings and can give me an opinion?

Thank

Jerry Seinfeld
10-31-2005, 03:21 AM
The ALU Power has more power, at least for the first couple of times out. It is also firmer and a bit more durable. The Poly Plasma is one of the softer copolys and is the current champion in the co-poly family of holding tension. If you like the firm/crisp feel of the ALU, you may not like the Poly Plasma. If you are looking for a different feel, something closer to stiff synthetics you may want to try the Poly Plasma.

p3k
10-31-2005, 03:27 AM
i also felt like pp decreases the size of the sweetspot compared to bb.

man-walking
10-31-2005, 11:50 AM
The ALU Power has more power, at least for the first couple of times out. It is also firmer and a bit more durable. The Poly Plasma is one of the softer copolys and is the current champion in the co-poly family of holding tension. If you like the firm/crisp feel of the ALU, you may not like the Poly Plasma. If you are looking for a different feel, something closer to stiff synthetics you may want to try the Poly Plasma.
From point of view of playability Plasma has unique durability, you have to choose your gauge than you have a pretty linear performance even after many hours of play. ALU Power in my experience alters too much its playability and has a short period of real performance (~10 hours).

Do you have any experience how Megaforce play among these?
Does exist anything similar to ALU but with more power and not much loss in control? (polystar energy??)
thanks

man-walking
10-31-2005, 11:53 AM
i also felt like pp decreases the size of the sweetspot compared to bb.
How was your setup exactly?
(racquet/pattern/gauge/tension...)

ChicagoJack
10-31-2005, 01:12 PM
The Poly Plasma is one of the softer copolys and is the current champion in the co-poly family of holding tension.

This is a rather bold statement. Are you saying this as personal opinion, or statement of fact?

-jack

Jerry Seinfeld
10-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Statement of fact. And yes, I am rather bold.

ChicagoJack
10-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi Jerry -
Dont mean to start up a thing here, but do you have any hard data, any sources? to back that up?
-jack

Jerry Seinfeld
10-31-2005, 01:54 PM
Of course. Please email me and I will be happy to hold a more extensive conversation with you.

Reel
10-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all yours answers.
I think Poly Plasma absolutly deserves a try. You said that PP are less powerful and more elastic than Alu. So what do you think about string tension? With the same/similar gauge of BB is it better to lower tension or to rise it.
Last but not least, what about spin generation? I like very much the spin of Alu Power and their capability of generate good acceleration to the ball.

Jetson
10-31-2005, 11:55 PM
PolyPlasma was a winner of the test at German Tennis Magazin (http://www.tennismagazin.de).
Strings at the test:
Signum Pro PolyPlasma
Topspin Cyber Flash
Wilson Enduro Tour
Gamma ZO plus
Head Ultra Tour 16L
Babolat Pro Hurricane
Isospeed Tournament 17
Kirchbaum Competition
Polystar Energy
Polyfibre Poly Hightec

PolyPlasma holds the same DT (37) through 6 hours of the game and stays usable after 3 weeks from stringing. PolyPlasma was the only, which has not need to be changed after the test.

ChicagoJack
11-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Of course. Please email me and I will be happy to hold a more extensive conversation with you.

Hi Jerry, I don't think you'll mind me posting this positive reply for you publicly.

After our brief private conversation, I find you to be a credible witness for commentary and evaluation of Signum strings. I don't see any way in which your comments here at this message board would be driven by personal profit motive. You've just found something that works, based on your extensive, somewhat pioneering experience, the product is relatively new to the market place, and you seek only to offer what you know a bit ahead of the curve.

Personally, I like to have something available, published from at least 3 or four credible sources before I go saying something is a fact. So I'm not quite willing to say you've got truth in a bottle. But I do think you are a credible and, most importantly, a sincere source of information here.

Best Regards
- Jack

Midlife crisis
11-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Jerry, I don't think you'll mind me posting this positive reply for you publicly.

After our brief private conversation, I find you to be a credible witness for commentary and evaluation of Signum strings. I don't see any way in which your comments here at this message board would be driven by personal profit motive. You've just found something that works, based on your extensive, somewhat pioneering experience, the product is relatively new to the market place, and you seek only to offer what you know a bit ahead of the curve.

Personally, I like to have something available, published from at least 3 or four credible sources before I go saying something is a fact. So I'm not quite willing to say you've got truth in a bottle. But I do think you are a credible and, most importantly, a sincere source of information here.

Best Regards
- Jack

Jerry,

I'm interested in the information you might have too. Do you mind another personal intrusion or would you rather state your sources publicly?

Thanks.

Jetson
11-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all yours answers.
I think Poly Plasma absolutly deserves a try. You said that PP are less powerful and more elastic than Alu. So what do you think about string tension? With the same/similar gauge of BB is it better to lower tension or to rise it.
Last but not least, what about spin generation? I like very much the spin of Alu Power and their capability of generate good acceleration to the ball.

If U using BB at 25/24 kg, it will be better to increase tension about 1kg. PP at the start lost tension a bit, but after stays at the same level very long time.

p3k
11-01-2005, 01:37 PM
pro#1,16/20,1.28,25/24kg