PDA

View Full Version : ATW Question - what am I doing wrong?

tennissue
10-31-2005, 07:42 AM
I was going to try ATW last night and got stuck. I was stringing my own - nCode Pro Surge. I tied off the short side. When I went to string the first cross (actually in the 2nd hole since I have 19 crosses) at the top, the clamp from the main was in the way of weaving the cross. So, I was stuck and went back to stringing my crosses bottom up as the Wilson pattern recommends.
So what am I doing wrong?

Second question - If the Wilson patterns calls for crosses to be strung bottom up, shouldn't it be ok to do this? I guess I don't understand why I should string differently than the manufacturer's recommendation.

David Pavlich
10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
You need to locate your clamp in such a way that allows the string access to the required grommet. If you need to adjust your clamp's position, just retension the string, move the clamp and you should be ok.

Yes, Wilson ok's bottom/top stringing. However, Wilson also says that top down is less stressful to the frame. 99.99% of the stringing I do is for someone else so I do everything that is strung one piece and has the mains end at the throat ATW. I don't want to take any chances with someone else's property.

David

tennissue
10-31-2005, 10:06 AM
Do I need to increase the tension on that last main - because I assume I'm losing a bit by having the clamp a bit away from the frame?

bigbanger
10-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Do I need to increase the tension on that last main - because I assume I'm losing a bit by having the clamp a bit away from the frame?

In my experience, the tension loss here is minimal and won't be noticeable during play - especially within this portion of the string bed. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

diredesire
10-31-2005, 02:28 PM

No, you should get it pulled back from the next pull across a cross, the tension doesn't feel any looser, at least.

You may also need a starting clamp for a few of the peskier ATW patterns.