PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions? St. Vincent string setup for weary arm...

louis netman
10-31-2005, 09:58 AM
The sticker on my old st vinnie says recemmended tension of 65-70 lbs. I'm twenty years older now and can't handle this high-tension stuff anymore. Does anyone know if this thing will work with gut at say 40lbs? My rationale is that I string my 93" T10mid with gut at 46 and it works fine...Thanx!!!

christo
11-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Louis, I think the lack of response means that 99% of the people on these boards have never hit with a PS 85 or have moved on, I suggest if you're not a 5.5 or higher you do the same , string tension has nothing to do with it. believe me , even Sampras would bag that racquet today. Sorry but it's true

louis netman
11-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Louis, I think the lack of response means that 99% of the people on these boards have never hit with a PS 85 or have moved on, I suggest if you're not a 5.5 or higher you do the same , string tension has nothing to do with it. believe me , even Sampras would bag that racquet today. Sorry but it's true

I just thought I'd string up this thing for nostalgia sake. Last time I used it was back in the early/mid eighties. I have some 18g gut laying around and thought it would work in the 85 sq in PS head...

dancraig
11-02-2005, 09:06 PM
I've got a stringing customer that strings at 35 pounds. He's one of the best older players in the area. Says the low tension is why he has never had any arm problems.

ffrpg
11-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Yes, you can string the PS 85 at 40lbs. I myself have never done it, but I would imagine that it would be too powerful with gut at such a low tension.

snowpuppy
11-03-2005, 06:42 AM
if you are already using gut then the problem is probably no longer the strings. I might not know a lot about racquets, but there is so many ways to go around a racquet that is not for your body. Even McEnroe, proud as he is about his woodie day, adapts to what he should be using for his current body.