PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a machine up to speed

PHSTennis
05-25-2004, 07:21 PM
How do I do this... what kind of oils, what to oil how to clean clamps what kind of alcohol? Thanks.. I havent done anything hte last 10 string jobs so yeah :P Please help ... I have an Alpha DC-PLUS

Mr. Sparkay
05-26-2004, 01:22 AM
Isopropyl alcohol in the drugstore size bottle is fine...q-tips dipped in the alcohol for the tips of the clamps, paper towels dipped in the alcohol for the base of the clamps & glide bars & tensioner...use oil sparingly, if at all.

Gaines Hillix
05-26-2004, 02:25 PM
I use isopropyl alcohol and an old tooth brush to clean my clamps. If you really want to be mesticulous on the glide rails, use Hoppe's gun powder solvent followed by alcohol. I prefer lent free cloth to q-tips or paper towels, which tend to leave fibers or particles of paper behind. I use silicon spray lube. It is lighter on petroleum based ingredients, yet does a good job. Keep any kind of lube away from your clamp heads or string gripper(don't forget to clean it). I also check my machines calibration after every 25 string jobs or so.

Anonymous
05-26-2004, 02:35 PM
"I also check my machines calibration after every 25 string jobs or so"

Gaines, are you referring to your Wise or another machine, i thought the Wise somehow calibrates itself whenever you turn it on

Gaines Hillix
05-27-2004, 06:10 AM
Salman, yes, the Wise tension head self calibrates every time it is turned on, but I still check it regularly. I don't assume anything.....

David Pavlich
05-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Salman, yes, the Wise tension head self calibrates every time it is turned on, but I still check it regularly. I don't assume anything.....

Once again, David's axiom is proven: Good stringers are very anal about their profession.

David