PDA

View Full Version : How long is a set of gut good for in the sealed bags?

alfa164164
10-31-2005, 06:51 PM
Anyone know the "shelf life" of gut in their manufacturer sealed bags?

Richie Rich
11-01-2005, 03:05 AM
i've had some gut for 6 months in an unopened package and it was fine. i think 6 months is pushing it though, depending on the brand (thinking of bow brand where they use a zip lock style bag. Babolat/Klip seal in a air tight pack).

just don't keep in extreme temps.

Jerry Seinfeld
11-01-2005, 03:35 AM
If it's the foil sealed bags and is stored in proper temperatures it is good for several years.

POGO
11-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Would storing unopened pack of gut string in the frig help prolong it's shelf life as well?

I've read other posters that they store their rackets strung with full gut in the frig.

Jerry Seinfeld
11-01-2005, 04:22 AM
I personally do store mine in a refrigerator. Not sure if it actually prolongs life or is an old wive's tail. I do keep mine refrigerated and in a vacuum sealed Food Saver bag.

Jack the Hack
11-01-2005, 03:24 PM
an old wive's tail

I think you mean an old wive's tale. :p

hades
11-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't go over a year and that's if it's in a sealed bag

Steve Huff
11-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Gut should be good for up to about 3 years in an unopened package. Unless you string at extremely high tension, it will probably still be good for even longer.

PrestigeClassic
11-02-2005, 09:36 PM
I would think that an air-tight foil package should protect gut for a very long time. I always hear about "expired gut," but nothing as for specific problems that prove any existance of a certain "shelf-life." I don't see any dates of manufacture on any string. By the sounds of it, people would rather use Prince Tournament Nylon than a set of gut with a couple years' worth of dust on its package. Six months and that's if the package was not exposed to any extreme temperatures? Sure . . .

joe sch
11-03-2005, 06:51 AM
I have stated this many times and think most readers probably dont believe it but ...
I have used sealed and unsealed gut from several decades ago and it still plays and strings up great. The important factor is keeping the strings well preserved during storage, away from temperature extremes, humidity, sunlight. I have even played many wood rackets strung with gut from around the mid 1900 and they still play fine, given the above conditions have been followed. Ofcourse, if you are a professional stringer, you probably dont want to be selling/stringing gut packs more than 2 or 3 years old since it will be your fault if anything goes wrong on the clients racket.

LoveThisGame
11-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Joe Sch, from what I know, I agree.

I remember talking with another stringer about a dozen years ago, and he told me about successfully using gut that was 6-8 years old.

I have but 2-3 gut customers, so I typically inventory about two sets. I have gone from VS to BDE and back again to VS.

Steve Huff
11-04-2005, 09:56 PM
The BDE was my favorite, but it's getting harder to get. Last time I called TW, all they had was a couple of sets of 17g.