PDA

View Full Version : Signum Experiences: Consistent Shearing

stemple
11-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd pass on my experience using Signum Poly Plasma, Megaforce and Polystar Energy (used all three in both 17g and 16g) in a couple of brand new Babolat APDs strung btw 59-65 pounds.

Now, most importantly, all six sets sheared within a couple hours. The Plasma sheared (when the string breaks at the frame/grommet hole as a result of a mishit) within 30 minutes. The Megaforce lasted longer, almost an hour. Polystar Energy was the best, both in terms of performance and durability, with the 16g making it to three hours before taking an early exit.

I'd been using Lux Alu and Timo in APDs for several months before my Signum/Polystar test and never once had a shearing incident. I do my own stringing (and have run a stringing business for over a decade). I am a former instructor and university player, now at about USTA 5.25.

All of the shearing incidents happened on moderate mishits (the kind where the ball still goes in).

FWIW, I liked the Energy and the Megaforce quite a bit, but found the Plasma a little dead and underpowered compared to Lux.

That's all.

mellofelow
11-01-2005, 07:13 AM
I can see that happening in Plasma because the last 3 sets I strung, it would snap and break easily when I tie the knot using a needle nose plier. Unlike you though, I didn't have the same issue as you during play. I have a feeling it has to do with racquet and grommet support.

stemple
11-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Yeah, I think the Bab APD may be part of the cause (though the racquets are essentially fresh, grommets undamaged).

However, the fact that Lux, even the thin TIMO, has never sheared makes me think the Signum string itself is the major part of the problem. Whether it's a crappy batch (unlikely, given that it happened 6x) or just slightly weak/brittle by design, is hard to say.

equinox
11-01-2005, 07:37 AM
signum admitted early batches had problems with premature shearing.

The signum seller on that big auction site had lots of complaints about shearing.

Last i heard this shearing issue was supposed to have been fixed.

Where did you buy and how old were these strings?

ffrpg
11-01-2005, 07:53 AM
I've had a couple of good sets of Signum Poly Plasma 17. My last set broke while I was stringing it. It's the only string I've ever had break on me while on the stringing machine. I've only had one set of Poly Plasma break due to shearing. I really don't know what to think about the strings durability. I suppose it depends on the batch you get the sets from. If you get a good set, the string plays really nicely.

stemple
11-01-2005, 08:11 AM
I ordered my strings from the *************** site in August 05.

stemple
11-01-2005, 08:26 AM
ffrpg,
I agree that the Signum strings have some nice qualities. I would play with either the Megaforce or the non-Signum Polystar Energy (and I don't say that lightly).
However, the unreliability is really annoying and the price differential, in individual sets at least, between Lux and Signum is not high enough to make it worthwhile.

mark rodgers
11-01-2005, 10:42 AM
I buy mine at guts and glory. I have purchased both Poly Plasma and Megaforce in packs and reels. I have strung approx 30 or more racquets with the Signum strings. I have never had a problem with either of them during or after stringing. They play great, hold tension well, and of course they're durable. I usually cut them out after about a dozen or so hours just to keep them fresh. The only time either of them broke on me was when I was practicing first serves and slammed the ball at the top of the stringbed. I think only kevlar would have survived that. IMO the Signum Pro Poly Plasma and Megaforce are two of the best copolys out there at a good price. If you buy a reel I think it works out to about $6 a set. That's a deal. Also, I tried the Polystar Energy and IMO they're not as good as the Signum strings.

asintu
12-23-2005, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I think the Bab APD may be part of the cause (though the racquets are essentially fresh, grommets undamaged).

I agree. I've had 1 shearing of the Volk V-Rex after 40 min (at the grommet) and another one...not that weird though for Duralast 15L after 5 hours.3
I guess some strings are just not built for this racket. It's just a matter of finding the right one.

tarheelbornjohn
12-23-2005, 06:40 AM
I just posted a thread about trouble stringing the Poly Star Energy. I just got mine from *************** two weeks ago. Very disappointed that this is a problem for others. While it is less than ALU, if they break (I used two full sets to get just the mains done due to breakage during the stringing process). The ALU is cheaper in the long run.

HappyLefty
12-23-2005, 07:25 AM
I bought a couple set of poly plasma and i'm planning to string my racquet next month.
Considering these problems, do you have any recommendation during stringing?

Midlife crisis
12-23-2005, 09:41 AM
I bought a couple set of poly plasma and i'm planning to string my racquet next month.

I bought my Poly Plasma from TW and have strung it up once at 63/61 with zero problems. The string actually didn't break on me even though I swung hard many times and mis-hit the ball near the frame. I ended up cutting it out to try something new and found that the Poly Plasma is still, by far, the favorite of the strings I've tried so far. However, my next string job, over this Christmas Holiday, will be with Megaforce.

dunlo
12-23-2005, 12:01 PM
I bought mine from a German seller;no problems at 2 stringjobs.
But dont lower 10%,it is soft enough.1kg drop is cool.

racingdad23
12-23-2005, 03:06 PM

Do not pre-stretch.

I have had zero problems with this (PPP) string and am extremely pleased with all aspects of its performance.

spinbalz
12-24-2005, 09:09 AM
I switched from Unique Big Hitter 17g to Signum Poly Megaforce 1.19mm since early november, better performance and tension keeping than big hitter, and no shearing so far. Excellent product, my favorite string so far.