PDA

View Full Version : Bollettieri Tennis Academy

jason connor lee
02-26-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey guys-

I am just wondering if anyone has attended the Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Florida. This so-called the "most prestigious tennis institution in the world" has produced players from Sampras to Hewitt to the Williams sisters. Personally, I am particuarily interested in their junior accelerated program, which runs from Monday to Saturday morning. I am thinking about flying there for a week and take my tennis to another level.

- Jason

Brian Purdie
02-27-2004, 08:11 AM
I did that when I was 13, back in 1992. ONe week in July and it was super hot. The camp is a few miles inland and you get no breeze or relief.

And Yowzers are those people mean! It was like a boot camp. If I learned one thing, looking back, I would have been more confrontational with the staff. They made it so militant-like, but I had no reason to be so intimidated by those people. They weren't that bright. They were just 19 yr guys and girls who needed a summer job and some lame 30-somethings awaiting skin cancer.

You'll leave more fit after one week. You're game can't really improve leaps in bounds. Enjoy the company of your fellow players. Enjoy the competition and the variety of surfaces.

edge
03-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Been there, thought it was a waste. The pros seemed bored, they didn't even have water ON the courts, you had to hike 6 courts down to a fountain! I like Saddlebrook much better. The pros are friendly, technique oriented and the place is 8 time more comfortable.

jason connor lee
03-07-2004, 06:52 PM
hey guys-

thanks for sharing. it seems like you guys didn't attain a positive experience from the training camp. is it because the weather is too hot & humid? what about the instructor / students ratio? did you guys really get a lot better after the training?

Sorry for so many questions! I have never been to tampa before, and $2,000 for one week is a lot of money to spend!

If anyone knows of any other similar tennis camp, please email me at jau@berkeley.edu

By the way, did anyone come out with a more positive experience from the bollerteri camp? PLEASE SHARE!

VJH
03-11-2004, 12:04 PM
I've been to both Saddlebrook and Bolliettieri's a number of times. As an adult, I have to admit that I prefer the amenities of Saddlebrook. They have a great pool, a fun bar and a couple of decent restaurants on site.

Also, adults get different pro's than the Juniors do at both places. By this I mean that the pros seem a little more interested in making sure that the adults have a good experience.

The fitness requirements at both places are high, but similar. If it weren't for the fact that I know some of the better pros at Bolliettieri's personally, I'd probably choose Saddlebrook as the better resort.

FYI, I also happen to know that Jr. program tennis director at Saddlebrook personally. Let us know what you decide.

baseliner
03-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Just remember Nick is a salesman selling himself. He is not a tennis player. My personal opinion of his academy is negatively influenced by the fact his personality rubs me the wrong way. There a many academies with similar or better facilities. Just my 2 cents worth.

George
03-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Great feedbacks.

I too are interested in going to a competitive junior tennis camp.

When is the best time to go down? How are the pros at Saddlebrook for Juniors?

George.

edge
03-18-2004, 10:01 PM
The pro at Saddlebrook are attentive and technique oriented. Anytime is good to go.

LittleMAC
04-02-2004, 08:01 AM
I agree. Go to Saddlebrook. I went there about a year ago, and the pro's are fun to be with, know what they're doing, and they have water on the courts! haha. The super pool is amazing and the jacuzzi's... don't even get me started! There are some nice restaurants that are a little pricy, but hey, most of the people are on vacation. This is truly the place to be anytime of the year.

sonnylax
05-26-2004, 03:15 PM
I just got back from 3 days at Bolliterri's (Adult) tennis academy. It was hot, but well worth it. The pros all push you to train hard. It ain't a vacation. When you are on the courts, you are on the courts to learn.

If you are looking to hit alot of balls and total tennis "immersion"... go to Bradenton for Bolliterri's tennis camp. If you want more of a vacation with some tennis, there are plenty of other options.

Ace_18
06-14-2004, 06:01 PM
well I'm heading down there for 2 weeks in August, I hope it will be a great experience.

perfmode
06-14-2004, 06:36 PM
the williams sisters' didn't train there... they played on a public court in long beach until they turned pro, no?