PDA

View Full Version : 17 Gauge VS. 18 Gauge Strings

Jack the Hack
11-01-2005, 01:04 PM
I am an aggressive baseliner and I hit very heavy groundstrokes with a ton of spin. I have been using a hybrid of 17 gauge Ashaway kevlar in my mains with various 16 gauge textured synthetics in the crosses. I use the oversize version of the Prince Triple Threat Bandit (110 square inches), modified with 12 grams of lead tape at 3 and 9 o'clock, and I string both the crosses and the mains at 67 lbs. I just ran out of the 17g Ashaway kevlar and am about to order some new reels for next year... and I was thinking about going to an 18 gauge in the mains. I am fairly satisfied with the current hybrid performance, but thought maybe I can do better with some experimentation.

Here is my question:

What different playing characteristics can I expect from 18g verses 17g? Do I have to string higher or lower with 18g?

Also, I have heard that you can get more bite on the ball with different gauges in the crosses and mains... which is why I was doing the 17/16 combo. However, can someone comment on whether this is true and why?
Would I get more bite and power from a full 18 gauge job, or 18/17, 18/16 combo?

(On a final note, I did try an 18g kevlar hybrid at a tournament a few years back and I broke it in 2 games. However, the 17g usually lasts for about 5-6 matches before it shreds... so I'm thinking the 18g kevlar may have been from a bad batch.)

SageOfDeath
11-01-2005, 03:50 PM
You would get more bite and power from a full 18g but that won't last you very long. I got some bow gut 18g, hesistant to use it yet but its getting warm so I just might.