PDA

View Full Version : Synthestic gut vs Poly What's the deal?

dom
11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Our local shop is pushing the Signum Pro Poly Plasma strings.
I have been using Wilson Sensation up until now but have become curious about this new product. What would the benefits of switching to a poly be if I have been happy with my Sensations up til now?
Also, I play regularly at Melbourne park - the home of The Australian Open.
When I last had my resting done and wanted to try Big Bangers the pro wouldn't let me. He didn't give me a reason but believed that I should be going with a softer more, control oriented, string.

Could someone give me the pros and cons of both the poly stings and Synth gut in general. And also please explain why there seems to be so much polarity on this synthetic gut/poly issue.

I also heard some one refer to poly strings as designed for short term pros. Any comments? Thanks

BreakPoint
11-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Wait, are you saying that the same pro that wouldn't let you try Big Banger now wants you to use Signum Pro Poly Plasma?

dom
11-01-2005, 02:28 PM
No he doesnít. Itís another place thatís pushing the poly.

Cruzer
11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
If you are happy with Wilson Sensation I don't see a lot of benefit to changing to a polyester string which will defintely feel stiffer than what you have been using. Wilson Sensation being a multifilament is going to be much more comfortable than any polyester string would be. Polyester string has become very popular with some players because

a) Users claim they are powerful strings (I don't agree)

b) Users claim they get better spin than other strings (I don't agree)

c) Polyester strings have become popular on the ATP tour so if polyester strings work well for Roddick and Federer then they will work well for me.

Unless someone breaks strings very quickly I don't recommend polyester strings to anyone I string for. Polyester strings have a higher percent tension loss than most strings. They do not have anywhere near the feel of a multifilament string. They go dead quicker than other strings. They feel perceptibly stiffer than any multifilament as soon as you start playing with them. If you are curious go ahead and try a poly string job but you won't find that they are any better than what have been using.

dom
11-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks for your advice.

dom
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Cruzer,

Thanks for your advice. On like other people on this site you give logical advice that comes from experience.
With that in mind I was hoping that you could help me further?
I recently bought two Dunlop 300 105 sq inch racquets Ė previously I was using PS 6.1 classics but I found them too demanding.
Should I stick with the Wilson Sensation strings for the bigger heads or should I look for something that holds tension better. Also I was thinking of stringing the new racquet at 62 lbs. Am I approaching this in the right way. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks

kreative
11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
I would suggest only changing 1 thing at a time. With a new racquet, i would try the same string (sensation) at your usual tension. From there, I would adjust tension based on the results you want (or getting).

Polyester strings are generally lower-powered, but are very durable. If you're not a frequent string breaker, I'd recommend sticking to what you like.

Vamz
11-02-2005, 11:31 AM
I don't think people tend to think they are powerful strings, they are widely known to be the opposite. That is why tweener racquets (Babolat Pure Drive) have become popular on the pro tour, when coupled with a low powered poly they can still control the ball while getting lots of power.

Cruzer
11-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Should I stick with the Wilson Sensation strings for the bigger heads or should I look for something that holds tension better. Also I was thinking of stringing the new racquet at 62 lbs. Am I approaching this in the right way. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks

There are some multifilament strings that hold tension better than the Wilson Sensation but the difference is not huge. I would initially stay with the Wilson Sensation and possibly increase the tension a few pounds over what you doing with the PS 6.1 in one of the frames and leave the tension the same in the other and see how they feel.

dom
11-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Once again, thanks for your help.