PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts about textured strings?

PM_
11-01-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm going to try out Gamma Ruff tonight for the first time. My game is that of heavy heavy topspin and little of anything else and I'm wondering if this string will make a difference compared to none spin strings.

hadoken
11-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Ruff from what I understand is the most textured string out there unlike others and probably will make a difference...most textured string like Prince Topspin really doesn't have that much additional bite...but I heard Ruff smooths out pretty fast

chair ump
11-01-2005, 04:18 PM
It's funny that you mention that you're giving gamma ruff a shot...I did too about a month ago, and I found myself really liking it and planning on sticking to it. Here's why: 1) the texture is simply the best out there initially, it does start to fray off the main part of the string, but don't worry, I find the string still maintains a certain scratchiness that bites into the ball nicely 2) exceptional feel and durability for this type of string 3) I string it loose (about 52 lbs.) and I'm getting good power with great responsiveness + control. 4) your topspin lob and kick serve will improve 5) last but not least price. :) let me know what you think about it!

backhand_finish
11-01-2005, 04:26 PM
i think the gamma ruff absolutely sucks. it has a really boardy feel like using a wooden plank to play. and not only that it smooths out after say 10 hours?

theace21
11-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Just my opinion, but spin strings are a marketing device. Spin is generated by racket angle, and racket head speed. Some strings might make a very small difference, so small it can't be easily measured. Those that think it helps, continue to use them. For me, it is racket head speed and angle at impact.

PM_
11-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Hey chair. Well I played with it last night and I can say I was very impressed.
This string should be illegal! It has so much texture to it that it probably reduces the lifespan of balls dramatically.
I couldn't believe how even my doubles opponents were in disbelief as most of my topspin lobs dipped down so fast.
Well hopefully it'll last the duration of my doubles league. I dunno how durable it would be for singles (prolly not much) but I'm having fun with it for now.

Fatmike
11-02-2005, 08:56 AM
I use Alu power rough and I like it a lot. But I never used regular Alu power so can't compare both.

chair ump
11-02-2005, 02:03 PM
PM, that's cool that you liked it too...I also play a lot of league doubles and you're absolutely right, the topspin lob is deadly with this stuff! Have fun with it.

DXS
11-03-2005, 10:29 AM
I always liked the Gamma Ruff too, but the problem is stringing it. The cross are time consumming.

David

SteveI
11-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I always liked the Gamma Ruff too, but the problem is stringing it. The cross are time consumming.

David

Stringing the stuff is a pain to be sure. The string does lock in place real nice because of the "RUFF" . Have a great day!

Steve

diredesire
11-03-2005, 03:57 PM
i had to string a few racquets with that string. Fingers were in pain, and the strings would never sit straight.

I agree that most textured strings don't make a lick o' difference, but there are some, such as Forten Aramid Gear that are crazy spin producers. Nay sayers should try it.

SteveI
11-04-2005, 02:47 AM
i had to string a few racquets with that string. Fingers were in pain, and the strings would never sit straight.

I agree that most textured strings don't make a lick o' difference, but there are some, such as Forten Aramid Gear that are crazy spin producers. Nay sayers should try it.

DD,

I have found the same thing. The strings that are made to produce spin... really seem to do little or nothing.. but there are other strings that seem to produce more spin than the ones designed to produce spin ... go figure!!!

For me.. Gosen Polylon Ice 17 does it.. and than string is about as slick as they come..????

Regards,
Steve

TW Staff
11-04-2005, 09:52 AM
A good joke to play on a newbie stringer trying to install Gamma Ruff, is to tell them to wax the mains before pulling the crosses (ala natural gut). When they go to pull the crosses, the vibration created by the rough surface shakes all the wax off the string.
By the time they're done, it looks like it just snowed on and around their stringing machine.

Pretty funny.

But it’s not like we’d pull any kind of prank like that here at TW!

Chris, TW

tennisguy2121
11-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Yes stringing with textured strings is definitely not fun. A problem with textured strings, from what ive seen so far, going totally by statiistics, they lose more of their tension compared to the same string without the texture. I do not know about how well they help produce spin though.