PDA

View Full Version : Not another natural gut post :o(

Bobo Lat
11-02-2005, 12:24 PM
I told my stringer that I wanted to try out nat. gut and he told me the same thing he's said to me a zillion times. That it won't work in our climate, which is extremely hot and humid. That it will feel nice just for a very short while. He says there's only one ("crazy") guy, that he knows of, who uses it and he always plays with freshly strung raquets (must be rich). According to him, that's the only way it would work out... Come on. I resist to beleive this. Is this true? Yes or no?

SageOfDeath
11-02-2005, 12:42 PM
in hot and humid climates, uncoated gut will suffer, stretch, lose its elasticity which is what makes gut so special.

Nowadays coated gut is less vunerable to that but I'm not sure just how much that coat will last. Like babolat VS natural gut.

doriancito
11-02-2005, 01:44 PM
yes it is true, water will destroy gut thats why tos better to string gut with non-sweaty hands better to use gloves and i hate this humid climate here at Santa cruz bolivia too where the humidity doesnt go below %70

wonder_wall
11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I told my stringer that I wanted to try out nat. gut and he told me the same thing he's said to me a zillion times. That it won't work in our climate, which is extremely hot and humid. That it will feel nice just for a very short while. He says there's only one ("crazy") guy, that he knows of, who uses it and he always plays with freshly strung raquets (must be rich). According to him, that's the only way it would work out... Come on. I resist to beleive this. Is this true? Yes or no?
Don't know how humid your climate is and while it's possible the stringer is just giving you the plain truth, I tend to very much doubt it.

Stringers are notorious for telling people not to use gut and it's very simple why: WAY MORE EXPENSIVE for them to stock, WAY HARDER to string especially for someone who doesn't do it alot. Plus the deadly combination of both reasons means if there's an accident or you claim a problem with the stringing, THEY ARE OUT A BUNCH OF MONEY.

So, often places charge something more to string gut AND USUALLY they invent reasons why you shouldn't be using it. I've at least heard of this alot. The better stringing places tend to not care if you want gut.

Anyway, I'd recommend you try it and see how it works. VS Touch is coated and I'd have a very hard time believing it would self-destruct in a couple sets.

For reference, I use string savers with gut, and my gut w/string savers tends to last around a month! That's if I'm playing maybe 10 hours a week or so, or quite a bit. And the tension remains decent until the end, though I've measured and certainly it does lose some tension over time, but never gets nearly as terrible as nylon.

SageOfDeath
11-02-2005, 06:33 PM
actually babolat vs gut isn't hard to string at all, just string it a bit slower on the crosses when weaving. But I would be ****ed if I broke some gut because its true that they are terribly expensive, I wish that I could get some discount by buying them in a larger quantity, but it just doesn't work that way.

mctennis
11-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Get a different stringer, buy the coated gut. IMHO

bee
11-05-2005, 01:10 PM
I play in Louisiana and the Philippines. Very damp and humid places! I play with natural gut and really like it. My current and favorite is Klip Legend uncoated natural gut 16. I use the Babolat string savers and string at about 56#. Go ahead and try it. The major advantages are: more feel, more power and (most important for me) easier on the arm. Natural gut doesn't seem to be regarded as the string for the maximum spin these days, but other than that, it's great...and you can sure generate plenty of spin with it.