PDA

View Full Version : About my questions before... contd: please reply this!

bc-05
05-26-2004, 06:27 AM
From my post before about how my friend could bench press 160 kgs.... I know what you guys mean how idiots lift as much as they can and injure themselves however that is not my question... What my question was asking was I was with my friend and he lifted 160kgs.. and i was thinking geez! he;s so strong... I just wanted to know how can you become that strong? I'm pretty sure that when he goes to the gym he does the rep properly.... I just wanted to know how much training he does to be that strong... so can you please answer my question? How much weight training do i need to gain strength (or would actually be able to be at least strong for once)? Coz i only bench press 30kgs for 20 and do 5 sets of it... and how much u reckon this bloke normally bench presses (maybe 50 kgs x 50)?? i just wanted to set my goals so i could increase my strength!! thank you!!! sorry if i get my questions wrong last time.. and for your reply i understand what u mean! but i just wanted to know what kinds of training I could do to gain that kind of strength?? would 50kgs benchpress and do lots of it enough or I have to actually bench press like 100kgs x 10?? thanks

Kobble
05-26-2004, 04:31 PM
I had a stringbean(140lbs. and 6 foot 2 inches) friend who would benchpress every day with near maximum poundages for doubles and triples, the kid could put up nearly 220lbs. I don't know the number of sets he did, but it could not have been more than 6. A good way to boost your 1 rep maximum for a particular lift is to use weights that are equal to or more than 85% of you 1 rep max, then do it for heavy singles, doubles, and triples. Long rest periods that are 2:00 minutes or more are ideal for the recuperation needed between sets. Doing 20 reps is going to work your muscular endurance more than your muscular strength, so you need to adjust your loading parameters. It is basically the specificity rule being applied here. Most powerlifters rarely do more than 6 reps when training for their lifts, as a matter of fact, just look up some powerlifting routines and use a similar routine. The common denominators that you will see among their routines are heavy weights, low reps, and long rest periods. Some people respond great to training often, and some people get great results just doing a certain lift once or twice a weak, this parameter will vary often among lifters. Instead of me rewriting the book, and going on and on about my personal experiences, your time would be better spent on looking up routines that fit into your schedule.

Charles Poliquin's website is pretty good, and he or his staff will personally answer any questions you have through is Q&A column.

Phil
05-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Who cares about max bench presses? Has zilch to do with tennis. As Kobble suggested, please go to another site which SPECIFICALLY discusses things like 1RM bench preses, and stop with the "please reply" crap.

Chuck
05-27-2004, 05:26 AM
bc-05
I started lifting weights seriously when I was 17 years old. By age 20, I had built up to where I could max out my bench press at 295 lbs. At this time I was in the weight room 4 or 5 days a week for 2 hours at a time. So, my answer would be that in order to build up some serious strength and poundage in a particular lift (such as the bench press) you are probably looking at at least a year of serious training. But again, I echo what everyone else has said (and what I said before) if you want to be a tennis player, 1st) you shouldn't want to max out your strength in the weight room, and 2nd) you're not going to have the time to devote to both the weight room and the tennis court. I think you need to decide which one you want to excel at and go for it. You probably can't do both....just my $0.02 worth and MHO.

bee
06-25-2004, 10:06 PM
IT DEPENDS UPON WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

DO YOU WANT TO BE A WEIGHTLIFTER, OR A TENNIS PLAYER? I DO BOTH, BUT I GAVE UP BENCH PRESSES A LONG TIME AGO. THEY SEEM TO MAKE MY UPPER BODY MORE TIGHT THAN I CARE TO BE. I DO A FAST PASSED CIRCUIT ON THE MACHINES AND SOME FREE WEIGHTS ABOUT EVERY 5 DAYS IN ADDITION TO SWIMMING A HALFMILE TWICE A WEEK AND PLAYING SINGLES TENNIS 2 OR 3 TIMES A WEEK.

I INTENTIONALLY TRY NOT TO GET FOCUSED ON ANY ONE LIFT. HERE'S SOMETHING INTERESTING. I START GETTING FOCUSED ON THIS CRUNCH MACHINE AND I'M UPPING THE WEIGHT TO LIKE 15O# AND IT JUST FEELS LIKE SOMETHINGS NOT RIGHT IN MY HEAD. READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT HEAVY LIFTING BEING ABLE TO PRECIPITATE INRACRANIAL HEMORRHAGES. BACK DOWN TO 100# WITH HIGHER REPITITIONS.

LET THE MUSCLEHEADS BE MUSCLEHEADS. FOR A SPORT SUCH AS TENNIS WE WANT FUNCTIONAL STRENGTH! A LOT OF THE WEIGHT LIFTING TYPES DO NOT DO WELL AT ANY COMPETITIVE SPORTS. CERTAINLY NOT TENNIS.

BEE