PDA

View Full Version : 15L in the Mains, 17 in the crosses

TN1
11-02-2005, 04:54 PM
So I had my last string setup with 15L Gamma Duraspin for the mains and 17 Prince Duraflex. It broke in about 3 weeks, which is not too surprising. I've sawed through Gamma TNT 16 in about 4 days before. Anyway, I really liked the way it played (best feel I've ever had with a string setup) and I just restrung my racquet with another 15L mains/17 crosses combo. I was wondering what you guys think about this setup, especially durability wise. I am sure the 17 guage string is probably cutting away at my strings quicker than a 16 or 15L guage string is. So I am wondering if I am gaining anything with this string setup over say a pure 16 guage all around setup. What do you guys think?

Jack the Hack
11-02-2005, 05:32 PM
I posted a similar question in my "17 gauge vs. 18 gauge" thread a couple days ago...

I have been using 17g in my mains and 16g in my crosses, and I hit a pretty heavy ball. I had heard that the different string sizes in the mains/crosses create a contrast in the string bed that contributes to enhanced bite. However, I don't know if that is really true or if it has been studied. I was hoping that a string expert could provide their opinion...

(I am considering moving to 18g in the mains with 16g in the crosses, but am wondering if a regular 18/18 combo would have more or less benefits to playability.)

TN1
11-02-2005, 06:07 PM
I posted a similar question in my "17 gauge vs. 18 gauge" thread a couple days ago...

I have been using 17g in my mains and 16g in my crosses, and I hit a pretty heavy ball. I had heard that the different string sizes in the mains/crosses create a contrast in the string bed that contributes to enhanced bite. However, I don't know if that is really true or if it has been studied. I was hoping that a string expert could provide their opinion...

(I am considering moving to 18g in the mains with 16g in the crosses, but am wondering if a regular 18/18 combo would have more or less benefits to playability.)

Wow, I didn't see that. Just found it though. I am glad we're doing too completely different things and asking two completely different questions. I'll post in your thread with my question though. I have no idea why your putting 16g in your crosses if you want playability though. Why not just use 18g all through. My thread is dealing with durability. I pop strings every 3-4 weeks. So I wanted 15L in the mains, but I thought putting a thinner string in the crosses would be better for playability. I am thinking that's cutting down on my durability though. So I wonder if a 16g all the way through would the same as what I am doing now. Oh well, if I get no answers I know what I like. I wanted hear what people thought though.

mark1
11-02-2005, 06:53 PM
if you use a soft enough cross then you wont have to worry about the crosses sawing into the mains...

dmastous
11-02-2005, 07:14 PM
I used Forten Thin Blend for a long time. That uses an 18 guage main and a 17 guage cross. It boasts good playablity and decent durability considering the guages used.

Jack the Hack
11-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Wow, I didn't see that. Just found it though. I am glad we're doing too completely different things and asking two completely different questions. I'll post in your thread with my question though. I have no idea why your putting 16g in your crosses if you want playability though. Why not just use 18g all through. My thread is dealing with durability. I pop strings every 3-4 weeks. So I wanted 15L in the mains, but I thought putting a thinner string in the crosses would be better for playability. I am thinking that's cutting down on my durability though. So I wonder if a 16g all the way through would the same as what I am doing now. Oh well, if I get no answers I know what I like. I wanted hear what people thought though.

To answer your question about why I use 16g in the crosses, there are several reasons:

I was using 17g kevlar in the mains for bite, durability, and stiffness... and a textured synthetic in the crosses to soften up the shock of the kevlar. I started doing this type of hybrid because I played 4 years of college tennis using Alpha Tourna-Blend for my string (which I don't think they make anymore) which featured 17g kevlar mains and soft 16g synthetic crosses. I've tried a lot of poly hybrids, as well as regular synthetic string sets, but the 17g/16g kevlar-synthetic combo seems to be the only thing that feels right and matches what I got used to in college. In addition to this, after about 5-6 matches, the kevlar will start to fray and the crosses are pretty shreaded. (I can feel the loss of playability at this point, and usually cut them out if I have a tournament coming up.) I think if I used a 17g synthetic in the crosses instead of 16g, they would only last half the time. And finally, there is that "different gauges = enhanced bite" theory that I've heard...

That being said, I thought that maybe I might be missing out on something by not giving 18g strings a chance. Since I have my own stringing machine and am in a wealthier position now, I am open to using a full 18/18 gauge line-up for better playability (even with less durability) but wonder if I will be sacrificing bite (due to a lack of that "different gauges = enhanced bite" thing).

I have heard of the Forten Thin Blend that dmastous mentioned... and I know Gamma makes one called TNT Fusion Plus, which is 19g kevlar with 17g synthetic crosses. However, notice that both hybrids use a mismatched pattern of gauge sizes (18/17 and 19/17). Is that purely for durability, or is there a playability factor in this also???

(I am hoping we can get a knowledgable answer for this because I think it addresses concerns in both our threads!)

dmastous
11-02-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure how knowledgable I can be, but the reason for the different guage cross string is for durability. The mains are New Age 18 which according to their press is a "blend of a high quality polyamide co-polymer and a specially modified Aramid Fiber." The crosses are Forten Sweet 17 which according to them is a very "playable synthetic gut."
It seems to me that if you used the New Age 18 on both mains and crosses the result would not be very durable as this a coarse rope like string. But using a softer synthetic improves the feel as well as not being as coarse and so not carving into the mains as much.
I can only say that everyone I've introduced the hybrid to raves about it. Including me. I used it for about 6 or 7 years. I'm looking at different types of string, but I will always keep at least on racquet strung with Thin Blend.