PDA

View Full Version : Two Mains Popped During third Set of Play

POGO
11-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Anyone else here ever popped two main strings on a freshly strung racket? The POG was just strung yesterday, and I played an evening match two hours ago and broke just during the third set. I normally pop one main string. String pictured is Gosen 16 sheep micro.

http://tinypic.com/famtlw.jpg

Ronaldo
11-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Hope you strung it or you may lay some sweet string music on the stringer.

gmlasam
11-02-2005, 08:37 PM
From the picture, it looks like normal string breakage since the breakage is within the middle of the stringbed. If the breakage was closer to the grommets or bumper guard, then I would suspect some kinking around those area.

That kind of breakage is pretty common if you hit with heavy spin and pace. So take it easy there ANIMAL :)

Jack the Hack
11-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Yes, I have done this more than once... it happens almost any time I use an all synthetic string set.

I would guess you did this either on a heavily spun groundstroke or topspin serve. Basically, the heart of the ball was compressed across two strings and they popped at the same time. I hit pretty heavy spins, and I pretty much have to use kevlar or poly in my mains if I want to use anything thinner that 15g.

Therefore, this can be explained by either:

A.) You are really walloping the ball now!!! :)

B.) This was a freak incident... :mrgreen:

C.) Or the string was defective or damaged (either in the factory or by the stringer). :mad:

dmastous
11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
If this is a freshly strung racquet I vote for C. Maybe the string was defective and only needed few ball strikes to pop. I try and feel the entire length of string before putting in a racquet. More than once I've felt some defect, or area where the string has been crimped or something.

POGO
11-02-2005, 08:52 PM
I popped both mains while I was attacking a weak service return. The return was weak and landed around the service line. I wind up, and unload my forehand.

I use a semi western grip and hit with heavy spin.

Ronaldo
11-02-2005, 09:00 PM
POGO, only posted after stringing a friend's PSC 6.1 and felt some rough spots on the stringbed after stringing. Suspect the string may be compromised and decided to forgo the usual 12 pk and only accepted a 6 pk of Heineken for compensation. Wages of stringing ain't death but go down the drain quickly, eh?

dmastous
11-02-2005, 09:00 PM
So you...

A.) <snip>really walloped the ball!!! :)

and...

C.) <snip> the string was defective or damaged (either in the factory or by the stringer). :mad:

and you...

B.) had <snip> a freak incident... :mrgreen:

Pardon the editorial license

POGO
11-02-2005, 09:07 PM
POGO, only posted after stringing a friend's PSC 6.1 and felt some rough spots on the stringbed after stringing. Suspect the string may be compromised and decided to forgo the usual 12 pk and only accepted a 6 pk of Heineken for compensation. Wages of stringing ain't death but go down the drain quickly, eh?
Hhahahahahahahhahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: I never compromise a 12 pack:mrgreen:

jax11213
11-03-2005, 03:46 PM
For me, it's not an extraordinary occurence to pop two strings, my record is four on one ball. Anybody else?

takeuchi
11-03-2005, 04:38 PM
For me, it's not an extraordinary occurence to pop two strings, my record is four on one ball. Anybody else?
i broke 4 mains once. my strings were very worn though. i only break strings from wear and not mishits though.

diredesire
11-03-2005, 04:54 PM
i hit high in the string bed. Backhand return, i believe, it was quite a while ago

http://students.washington.edu/%7Ejdeng/chang.jpg

I broke 5 strings across one of my string beds before, it was on a weak overhead, too?!?! :confused: