PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on Wilson Reaction?

chair ump
11-02-2005, 08:59 PM
I was recommended Wilson Reaction as an effective alternate to some more expensive multis and nat. gut...anybody have experience with this string? Thanks.

Ronaldo
11-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Mighty crisp, definitely not NXT or XCEL but durable

Richie Rich
11-03-2005, 03:56 AM
if you want a firmer multi, not mushy like NXT or NRG can be, Reaction is a good choice. I tried it and with a little pre stretch and at 59 lbs played very nicely. Not bad value for $10.

wally
11-03-2005, 09:59 AM
I like it very much as do my clients. very crisp, good power good durability in 16g . the 17g in a closed (18*20) pattern would probably be Ok but does not hold up well in a more open pattern.

diredesire
11-03-2005, 11:48 AM
as mentioned, firmer than a 'traditional' multifilament, also holds tension surprisingly well. I'd recommend it for a basic intro multi, but i never got used to the feel.

Ruuzo
11-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Mighty crisp, definitely not NXT or XCEL but durable

i had the opposite experience. i found that reaction lasted half as long as xcel. i just happened to try those 2 strings back to back about a week ago.

chair ump
11-04-2005, 07:52 AM
will it soften the reaction up a little bit if I have my stringer do a little prestretch before stringing?

Keifers
11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that prestretching will actually make it play firmer.

To me, Reaction plays crisper/firmer than NXT, Xcel, NRG2. I'm enjoying it in my PS 6.0 95. Depending on the racquet you have, it could be a very good alternative to those strings.

(If you care to tell us what racquet you're using, you'll likely get more opinions about how well Reaction would work for you, or other string suggestions.)

chair ump
11-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I play with the Donnay Rusedski Pro, which is a pretty stiff serve volley stick (weight 13 oz strung). I usually string loose around 52 lbs (18X20 pattern). Is that similar to your PS setup?

tennisguy2121
11-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Wilson Reaction feels great in my opinion. Using a Wilson nPro, I went thrugh the string about every 2 hours, so I stopped using all Reaction. Now sometimes I will use it in my crosses in my ncode six-one 95 18 x20. Comparing it to NXT, it will not be as soft. A great string to use as an alternative to gut is Wilson NXT Tour or NXT Max. Hope this helps.

chair ump
11-05-2005, 06:42 AM
were you using the 16 or 17 guage? I was thinking since I have 18X20 string pattern, the 17 gauge would be the way to go, despite the questionable durability.

tennisguy2121
11-05-2005, 11:31 AM
i need to correct my statement i made, i said that it will not be as soft as nxt, though when I checked the statistics, it said that reaction was a little softer than nxt.

Keifers
11-05-2005, 11:36 PM
I play with the Donnay Rusedski Pro, which is a pretty stiff serve volley stick (weight 13 oz strung). I usually string loose around 52 lbs (18X20 pattern). Is that similar to your PS setup?
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I have Reaction 16 strung at 62 lbs -- which is mid-tension plus 2 -- in my PS 6.0 95. The PS has a 16x18 string pattern. And even though its RDA spec is 67, it actually plays a lot flexier. So I enjoy the firmness that Reaction provides.

Keifers
11-05-2005, 11:38 PM
were you using the 16 or 17 guage? I was thinking since I have 18X20 string pattern, the 17 gauge would be the way to go, despite the questionable durability.
I agree. In an 18x20 string pattern, 17 should be quite playable AND durable. I would go with 17.

Keifers
11-05-2005, 11:41 PM
i need to correct my statement i made, i said that it will not be as soft as nxt, though when I checked the statistics, it said that reaction was a little softer than nxt.
Not sure what stats you checked, but empirically, I would say that Reaction plays firmer and more crisply than NXT. One is not necessarily better than the other -- depends on racquet, tension and the feel you're looking for. To me, NXT is more comfy.

chair ump
11-08-2005, 07:21 AM
thanks for all your posts everybody...I am going to pick up some 17g.

bruce nissenbaum
11-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Strung Reaction 17 @ 60# in PSC 6.1 95. String feels much crisper than NXT, NRG, or similar strings. It actually feels much closer to being stiff than crisp. The elasticity is much like ematrix, nxt, etc. but ball strike feels much more like a mono than a multi. The string's resilience doesn't feel consistent with its elasticity. And, yet, it is still fairly lively. Reaction 17 will not replace my Laserfibre Supreme 17.

Keifers
11-08-2005, 10:41 AM
The string's resilience doesn't feel consistent with its elasticity. And, yet, it is still fairly lively.
Can you say more about this, please? I'm not quite understanding. Many thanks.

bruce nissenbaum
11-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Can you say more about this, please? I'm not quite understanding. Many thanks.

The string stretches quite a bit at 60# tension and, upon immediate release, restores. It is very elastic, and reslilient over very short time.. Other strings that have a similar characteristic play softer, seem to pocket ball more, and seem more lively. They stretch additionally on ball strike and then restore. Reaction does not feel as soft or pocket as much as string of similar elasticity and feels stiffer over time yet there was still some 'pop' in the string. I think this is because at constant tension over time the string loses its resilience, i.e., when I cut the strings out, Reaction stays 'more stretched' than the other strings with similar elastic qualities. It is very possible that Reaction at 60# in a 95 si racquet is very near or at its elastic limit, thus it does not stretch much more on ball strike and may 'deform,' yet there is still sufficient energy to get some 'pop' on the ball. I have not had that happen with other similarly elastic strings. That's why I said the resilience doesn't seem to be consistent with the elasticity.

Keifers
11-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Thanks. If I'm reading you correctly, the string bottoms out within a relatively short distance elasticity-wise (so the pocketing is shallower), but restores with pop that is surprising given that shallow pocketing. Yes? (Thanks again.)

bruce nissenbaum
11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks. If I'm reading you correctly, the string bottoms out within a relatively short distance elasticity-wise (so the pocketing is shallower), but restores with pop that is surprising given that shallow pocketing. Yes? (Thanks again.)

I'll go with that. Sounds a lot more direct your way! :-)

Keifers
11-09-2005, 01:08 AM
I'll go with that. Sounds a lot more direct your way! :-)
I appreciated your analysis. I've been playing with this string (and enjoying it) the last couple of months, but I hadn't thought much about its elasticity/resiliency characteristics until you posted your analysis.

Reaction's construction is different from many (most?) multis in that it isn't a bundle of thousands of very thin filaments surrounded by a wrap and/or coating. The pic I saw in a Wilson tennis booklet showed a relatively unusual construction. TW's description (from Wilson) is not very useful, but the description of TF's TRC gets close: "Two larger oblong filaments and four smaller monofilaments are surrounded by Compound Micro Fibers." (I suspect Reaction is made by TF.)

bruce nissenbaum
11-09-2005, 08:52 AM
TW's description (from Wilson) is not very useful, but the description of TF's TRC gets close: "Two larger oblong filaments and four smaller monofilaments are surrounded by Compound Micro Fibers." (I suspect Reaction is made by TF.)

I refer to these as 'transition' strings, multiple solid cores surrounded by multifilament bundles. And, yes, I think Reaction construction is similar to TRC; also similar to Gosen AK Pro 16 (not sure about the 17) '3-island' construction. However, at 60# neither stretches as much as Reaction, both feel softer, and both are more resilient as evident by recovering more of their stretched length after being cut out. FWIW, could Reaction and TFC actually be manufactured by Gosen??? Also, FWIW, I liked TRC 17 better than Reaction 17 or AK Pro 16 or 17.

brian.sat
11-11-2005, 07:31 AM
My standard string. Comfortable and stable until its last day. Last me 10 days in my HM200G @ 60lbs w/10% pres.

Keifers
11-11-2005, 10:54 AM
I refer to these as 'transition' strings, multiple solid cores surrounded by multifilament bundles. And, yes, I think Reaction construction is similar to TRC; also similar to Gosen AK Pro 16 (not sure about the 17) '3-island' construction. However, at 60# neither stretches as much as Reaction, both feel softer, and both are more resilient as evident by recovering more of their stretched length after being cut out. FWIW, could Reaction and TFC actually be manufactured by Gosen??? Also, FWIW, I liked TRC 17 better than Reaction 17 or AK Pro 16 or 17.
I'm not familiar with the AK Pro 16. I've purchased a set of TRC 16 to compare with Reaction. What makes you prefer TRC 17 to Reaction 17?

I also have an old set of TF TR Pro 16 -- do you know anything about that string? (The not-very-good line drawing on the back seems to show a similar construction.)

That would be interesting -- Gosen might have a proprietary technology for producing these 'transition' strings; there certainly aren't many of them on the market.

bruce nissenbaum
11-11-2005, 05:25 PM
What makes you prefer TRC 17 to Reaction 17?

It feels softer and more comfortable on ball strike. Reaction feels quite a bit stiffer.

I also have an old set of TF TR Pro 16 -- do you know anything about that string? (The not-very-good line drawing on the back seems to show a similar construction.)

I don't know anything about the string.

chair ump
11-12-2005, 10:50 AM
I think I'm gonna string my racquet at 51 lbs. 17g...hopefully won't feel too stiff then. I usually string at 52-54, and have a liking to lower tensions. Any downsides with stringing the reaction at a low tension?

Keifers
11-12-2005, 12:07 PM
I think I'm gonna string my racquet at 51 lbs. 17g...hopefully won't feel too stiff then. I usually string at 52-54, and have a liking to lower tensions. Any downsides with stringing the reaction at a low tension?
I don't think we asked you what string(s) you have been using... Anyhoo, unfortunately, I don't have experience with Reaction at low tensions. 51 sounds reasonable, though, if you've liked low tensions in your racquet and you want it slightly lower still because Reaction is firmer-playing.

tennisguy2121
11-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Whether NXT feels more "comfy" or not is not what i was saying, in that aspect, yes i agree with you, and that is what wilson says is true. Statistically, the stiffness rating is higher for NXT. Not much, but it is.

Keifers
11-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Whether NXT feels more "comfy" or not is not what i was saying, in that aspect, yes i agree with you, and that is what wilson says is true. Statistically, the stiffness rating is higher for NXT. Not much, but it is.
OK. No problemo. I think we're on the same page. Thanks for the info.

156MPHserve
11-12-2005, 07:58 PM
How does it compare to Sensation?

Keifers
11-12-2005, 11:14 PM
I tried Sensation 16 in an n61 95 18x20 (@ 57 lbs.) a few months back, and was not that impressed -- it didn't feel muted exactly; more kind of dull. I expect Reaction would feel firmer/crisper AND more lively. I would probably put it in a couple of lbs lower.

chair ump
11-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the tip keifers...I had been playing klip legend 17g nat gut @ 52...but that was getting too expensive. So, I'm hoping that 17g reaction strung 50 or 51 might be a reasonable alternative.

Keifers
11-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the tip keifers...I had been playing klip legend 17g nat gut @ 52...but that was getting too expensive. So, I'm hoping that 17g reaction strung 50 or 51 might be a reasonable alternative.
Good luck with that. Would be interested to hear back when you've done it.

Da One
11-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Reaction is one of those strings, like the Laserfibre strings, Yonex Super Pro 850, etc. If you like a firm (we won't call it stiff) feel, like I do, then it's great. I find only advanced players like Reaction though

Keifers
11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
I find only advanced players like Reaction though
Yeah, that's RIGHT!... ;)

Ronaldo
11-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, even NG is firm IMHO if strung a bit more taut to alleviate that extra power.

chair ump
11-21-2005, 07:54 AM
I just played with wilson reaction 17g for the first time strung at 50lbs. And I agree with the above statements, it's a bit stiffer than what I am used to (tecnifibre nrg and nat gut). However, I liked the control, and the bite this stuff gets on the ball. Holds tension reasonably well, and it seems like a pretty durable string, so far. Maybe I will get used to the firmer feel as I play with it more.