PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing trouble

austro
11-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Why does TW require an unusual and excessive amount of verification when ordering? They are asking me to provide:

1. The name, address and telephone number of the bank issuing your credit
 card
 2. A copy of your credit card (both sides)
 3. A copy of your personal identification card or driver's license
 4. The signed credit card authorization form below

How ridiculous is that? I have never had to undergo such an imposition at any website before! And why? For security? The customer is already fully protected by the CC company. What an unpleasant shopping experience! Makes you want to turn elsewhere.

TW Staff
11-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Austro, it sounds like you are located outside the US. If so, this is fairly standard procedure for online retailers. However, after this initial verification, your ordering will go much more smoothly and quickly. I apologize for the inconvenience. Don/Tennis Warehouse

austro
11-04-2005, 02:11 AM
YEs, but I will not start faxing copies of my passport around or start digging for the address of the credit card company, make multiple copies, etc. I'll just have to buy the racquet on the famous auction site instead and benefit from the reviews, articles and message boards of TW without recompense...

Not to speak of the insulting insinuation of being a fraudster!

TW Staff
11-04-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way, austro. However, without intending any insinuation, our greatest percentage of credit card fraud comes from outside the US. These credit card verification procedures have become essential to protect ourselves from those who are "fraudsters". Don/Tennis Warehouse

Return_Ace
11-04-2005, 09:43 AM
So Don, are you saying that all purchases from outside the US need verification via copies of passports etc?

TW Staff
11-04-2005, 10:05 AM
All initial purchases from international customers require a credit card verification. This includes verification of identification, which includes (but isn't limited to) copy of passport, driver's license, student ID, national ID, etc. After this initial verification, subsequent purchases may be made without verification (assuming no changes in name, billing address, etc.) Don/Tennis Warehouse

Return_Ace
11-04-2005, 10:09 AM
ok, and how would we get this to you? faxing isn't very common in the UK and i guess the only other way would be to scan and e-mail it? That would mean a delay in processing the order and delivery etc. right?

TW Staff
11-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Once we receive and verify the required materials, we process orders normally. So, there's no delay on our end. We know this is a hassle, and apologize for the inconvenience. However, we can't make any exceptions to this policy. Don/Tennis Warehouse

Return_Ace
11-04-2005, 11:31 AM
eh heh..... i just asked my mum whether she'd mind if she sent out the verification and got a big fat no in my face...... and well, i understand that your afraid of frauders coming and buying with other peoples credit details and stuff, but if you look at it in the customer's point of view (like my mum's) well, ont insinuating anything here, but well, customers are afraid that if you hand out details such as the photocopy of credit cards and passporsts etc, that there id has a possibility of being taken, not that i'm implying TW would do something like that, but i just want you to think about it from a customers PoV.

so.... since i really need those 18g strings that the UK doesn't have, i was wondering if you accepted stuff like paypal? its a common method of payment cropping up and my mum said she wouldn't mind if you accpeted that........ if not, i don't know how i'm going to get my strings ;( or PC600 for that matter.................. :/

SteveI
11-04-2005, 11:42 AM
All initial purchases from international customers require a credit card verification. This includes verification of identification, which includes (but isn't limited to) copy of passport, driver's license, student ID, national ID, etc. After this initial verification, subsequent purchases may be made without verification (assuming no changes in name, billing address, etc.) Don/Tennis Warehouse

Don,

Sounds like a fairly standard procedure.. and just sound business sense. I know for a fact that our local tennis proshop took its biggest hit on CC fraud... from.. not a surprise an "international" sale. Thanks for your explanation.

Regards,
Steve

Tennis Ball Hitter
11-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Any photo id seems a little spurios to me. There are billions of different photo ids around the world [we have 3 universities in Adelaide, all 3 have differennt student cards]. Faxing a B&W photo id seems useless security to me ...

Also does that mean TW keeps our CC numbers in their database?

How long does it take for the money to appear in the TW accounts? Would a possible option be to wait until TW has received the actual money in their account before sending [not too sure how credit works]? Paypal is also a good idea [TW will probably have to add a couple of percent on top though].

While I am not as annoyed as the original poster, these extra little steps would have probably turned me to another competitor. I did not have to do this ... so it must be a new thing.

CivicLx
11-04-2005, 11:49 PM
it's those damn Nigerians!!!!!!! :mad: no but I used to work for a relay center and we did credit card fraud calls all the time...never got anyone trying to purchase tennis stuff, but we did have people trying to buy golf clubs and 150 bottles of centrum vitamins...mostly wanted stuff to be shipped to Nigeria or some other place in West Africa

Deuce
11-06-2005, 12:25 AM
What - no DNA samples?

Fingerprints, at least??

Jonnyf
11-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Deuce you mean biometrics our library in school is getting it.

TW i have ordered a few things from you RBK flex, RBK trucker MDP's tourna shorts (sadly i think thats all i've ordered from you) but as thats been two orders when i reorder (probs getting ASO's for Xmas) will i have to go through this. IMHO it's no problem but i would like to know.

Thanks alot TW
Yours sincerely
JNY F

austro
11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes, Paypal would be great! Would be safe for TW (btw, note the shift in the argument: initially it was all about protecting the customer!) and easy for me! Unfortunately, the previous poster's question to this effect has not been answered so far.

Jonnyf
11-07-2005, 12:47 PM
TW have already said that Paypal couldn't work

TW Staff
11-07-2005, 02:06 PM
No Deuce, no DNA required...unless you're Canadian!;) As I pointed out earlier, JonnyF, you won't have to endure the credit card verification process if you've already ordered from us. The only exception is if name, address, etc. have changed. Sorry austro, we're not set up for PayPal. Don/Tennis Warehouse

Keifers
11-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Yes, Paypal would be great! Would be safe for TW (btw, note the shift in the argument: initially it was all about protecting the customer!) and easy for me! Unfortunately, the previous poster's question to this effect has not been answered so far.
I'm just curious, austro, are you pulling TW's and our leg with this? (Genuine question.)