PDA

View Full Version : TNT 16 - anybody ?

bluegrasser
11-05-2005, 02:35 PM
I just had my new PD standard strung with TNT 16 g ,and found it as a pretty soft string with average power - any other users out there ?....

Ezekiel
11-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I just had my new PD standard strung with TNT 16 g ,and found it as a pretty soft string with average power - any other users out there ?.... thats crap

Sixpointone
11-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi Bluegrasser,

I myself used to use Gamma TNT 16. Currently I use Gamma TNT 16. My Racquet is the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 Oversize (110") Stretch (28"). I have it strung at 62 lbs.

In any event, I know in my experience that many people I have come accross do not like the Gamma line of Strings. The reasons can vary from price, to feel, to durability, to anything in between.

But the reason I keep using the String is very simple. To me, it is easily within my budget. And more than that, I have genuinely gotten used to, and enjoy the feel. For me consistency is key. Being that is the case I plan on sticking what has worked for me.

So whereas I am sure you will get some pro Gamma people, and some anti Gamma people, both are which to be expected, I simply suggest that if you are like me, and you like it, and it works for you, stick with it.

Hope that helps,
John

LoveThisGame
11-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Sixpointone, excellent points and very well written.

Likes and dislikes vary among players, whether racquet, string, grip, overgrip, ... It's as simple as that.

One of my customers likes frame and string that run counter to what I would advise given his play and strength. He knows what I would advise, I don't try to change him, he's happy with what he has bought, and he buys quite a bit.

Flatspin
11-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately some on this forum are "short sighted". Gamma makes several good strings. TNT has been one of the best sellers for some time. Apparently there are many others who share your affection for TNT.
Gamma's new TNT .... prodigy was actually very impressive.

SteveI
11-07-2005, 02:47 AM
Unfortunately some on this forum are "short sighted". Gamma makes several good strings. TNT has been one of the best sellers for some time. Apparently there are many others who share your affection for TNT.
Gamma's new TNT .... prodigy was actually very impressive.

Gamma strings are not well loved on this board in general. Many have found better options to the strings Gamma has to offer. Does not mean that they are "crap".. just maybe not for you. Bottom line.. play the string, tension and frame that helps you win the most matches and does not kill your arm.

Regards,
Steve

Zeph
11-07-2005, 03:36 AM
tnt2= average string thats overpriced.

bluegrasser
11-07-2005, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the replies , I just wanted a soft string for the PD, but now I might try a hybrid of some sort, one that will be easy on the arm. I want more bite on the ball...

Jon Hampton
11-07-2005, 07:05 AM
tnt2= average string thats overpriced.

Agreed. I enjoyed playing with TNT2 for the 3 days it lasted, but at that rate, it provides no extra benefit compared to that of a PSGD 16.

spirit
11-07-2005, 07:06 AM
I use Gamma TNT, 17 g quite a bit and like it a lot. I don't find it soft though. My description would be "crisp." I now have Gamma TNT fat core 16 g in one of my racquets because I got about six packets of this with my purchase of my Gamma x-s stringer. To me, the fat core plays very much the same as the regular TNT.

So far, the only string I like better than the TNT is the Bab VS Team nat gut (very expensive), and the Klip Lightning gut/multi hybrid.

But there are loads of strings that I haven't tried, and I bet there is one that I'd like better than the TNT. Just don't have time to keep searching like that.

Valjean
11-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Try Babolat's Fiber Tour.

Even Powergy exceeds TNT...

tree
11-07-2005, 06:19 PM
i had received 10 packs of tnt 16 with my stringing machine, and since experimenting with hybrids(using it on crosses), the tnt 16 just seems to have no feel, and seems to die quickly. i havent tried it out on its own, but im sure it plays better without hybrid imo

Midlife crisis
11-08-2005, 12:03 AM
i had received 10 packs of tnt 16 with my stringing machine, and since experimenting with hybrids(using it on crosses), the tnt 16 just seems to have no feel, and seems to die quickly. i havent tried it out on its own, but im sure it plays better without hybrid imo

This is the Fat Core 16, right? I got six packs of that with my string machine, and this weekend I should be stringing up the first racket with it.

TheRed
11-08-2005, 06:10 AM
I mostly agree with people's assertion that gamma strings are overpriced but the company does do one thing that other companies don't: Gamma produces soft MONOFILAMENT strings. This might not matter much to a lot of people but as a big string breaker with elbow problems, using TNT as a cross lasts much longer than using sensation while maintaining a soft string bed.

spirit
11-08-2005, 07:50 AM
I mostly agree with people's assertion that gamma strings are overpriced but the company does do one thing that other companies don't: Gamma produces soft MONOFILAMENT strings. This might not matter much to a lot of people but as a big string breaker with elbow problems, using TNT as a cross lasts much longer than using sensation while maintaining a soft string bed.

I second that. The TNTs are a relatively soft but crisp monofilament (solid core) with an outer wrap that play with a crisp feel/sound. I too wish they were lower priced, but I can easily get three months of up to two hours of play two to three times per week from any of the TNTs. 3 months times 4 weeks per month times 2.5 times per week divided by $11 per string packet means I am playing for 36 cents per session (not counting cost of court time, if not on the public court). And if I stretch the time between stringing to every six months (which I frequently do) this is reduced by half.

If I were to switch to VS Team natural gut I can easily go six months with it. The cost of this per session would be $37 per packet divided by 30 or $1.20.

Come to think of it, maybe I should switch to the VS Team.

Or maybe I should restring more often and get to play with fresher strings more often.