PDA

View Full Version : Laserfibre ECO and Ncode 95

bfleming
11-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Using my Laserfibre Eco 200 with DA clamps. Trying to string Wilson N-six-one 95. Everything is great till you get to the last cross. The Throat post is thick enough that you cant get a clamp on the last string. If you do it really stretches the last string. Any suggestions?

thejackal
11-05-2005, 04:19 PM
If it stretches, so be it. It's not like you'll use it to hit many balls.

Jeff488
11-06-2005, 02:42 PM
You could also pull the last cross or two a little tighter.
If it makes you feel any better, the same problem exists with the fixed clamp machine.

156MPHserve
11-06-2005, 06:54 PM
yeah dont' worry about the stretching...

hangzhou
11-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Tim told me to do the last cross first then the second last cross:
1. weave the last cross first,
2. tension the last cross without clamp it since it doesn't have enough space.
3. weave the second last cross
4. tension the second last cross and clamp it.
5. finish with the knot.

hope this will hope...

bfleming
11-07-2005, 05:18 AM
Thanks everyone.

I probably could leave it a little loose on the last one since we always loose some tension tieing off anyway. I think I'll try hangzhou suggestion as well.

Thanks
Bill

hangzhou
11-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Bill:

If you don't clamp the last cross, you will lose way too much tension. I did that before, and you can feel the last cross is really floating on the string bed. almost like no tension at all. As time passes, the tension of the string bed will eventually even out, thus the drop of tension will be much high due to the tensionless last cross.

Tim's suggestion is like double pulling, not a good technique for other cases, but at least you have tension on both last and second last crosses close to reference tension. You could also increase the knot tension in order to compensate double pulling and knot.

As matter of fact, I believe this is one of the area that deserves improvement for this machine, by either thinner clampers or make the support structure have more space to last cross.

156MPHserve
11-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Bill:

If you don't clamp the last cross, you will lose way too much tension. I did that before, and you can feel the last cross is really floating on the string bed. almost like no tension at all. As time passes, the tension of the string bed will eventually even out, thus the drop of tension will be much high due to the tensionless last cross.

Tim's suggestion is like double pulling, not a good technique for other cases, but at least you have tension on both last and second last crosses close to reference tension. You could also increase the knot tension in order to compensate double pulling and knot.

As matter of fact, I believe this is one of the area that deserves improvement for this machine, by either thinner clampers or make the support structure have more space to last cross.

i disagree about thinner clamps. They do get in the way, like the center of the mains, you have to put one on top and one on bottom. and sometimes it's difficult to clamp the side but it doesn't affect the stringjob quality. besides, it's the only flying clamp with results close to a fixed clamp so they must be doing something right....

hangzhou
11-08-2005, 12:23 PM
i disagree about thinner clamps. They do get in the way, like the center of the mains, you have to put one on top and one on bottom. and sometimes it's difficult to clamp the side but it doesn't affect the stringjob quality. besides, it's the only flying clamp with results close to a fixed clamp so they must be doing something right....

I thought you would agree with me for thinner clamps just for the case of thick clamps getting in the way when doing the center mains, which are the most important strings. For both cases, the stringjob quality will be affected to certain degree, although hard to quantify. Other issues such as speed and convenient are also important...

156MPHserve
11-08-2005, 01:45 PM
I thought you would agree with me for thinner clamps just for the case of thick clamps getting in the way when doing the center mains, which are the most import strings. For both cases, the stringjob quality will be affected to certain degree, although hard to quantify. Other issues such as speed and convenient are also important...

if you can't figure out to put one clamp on the top and one clamp on the bottom... then you have a LONG way to go in your stringing journey... string quality will not be sacrificed except MAYBE the last string... but if you need that string... then you aren't a very good player are you?

besides, you realize these clamps need to hold on to up to about 80 lbs of tension... the clamps can't be too thin as it will affect its structure integrity... i believe this size is the equilibrium for best performance and smallest size.

hangzhou
11-08-2005, 06:37 PM
It's not only me, but everyone with this type of machine/clamp and certain wilson rackets is having difficulty to put clamp on the last cross. Tim confirmed that and provided alternatives. I believe thinner clamp might change that as long as thick enough. If you have deep mechnical engineering background, then you would agree that thickness is less important than the height and width of the clamp for minimizing lateral bending under high tension. Using FEA software can find out better thickness or optimize the design of clamp system easily.

I am not a good player at all, just a regular tennis fan with the passion of stringing. So criticizing my game has nothing to do with this topic.

If you forcefully put the clamp onto the last cross, you will stretch the last cross and possibly break it coz the tension on the last cross will be much higher than the reference tension. That happened to me before. By then you really have poor string quality... :-)