PDA

View Full Version : OOPS - one ahead tensioning?

FlyingBoat
11-06-2005, 10:20 AM
I think I may have misunderstood what you can do by one ahead stringing.
I was thinking you could string one ahead on mains and crosses and tension the string just once so it is basically tensioning two lengths instead of one.
Thought I saw that some where.

So, now that I did it that way, what is the damage? Will the tension just be a bit lower or have I messed up the job and need to cut out and restring? I am trying out LF Supreme at 58 on mains and Ashaway Dynamite at 49 cross if that makes any difference.

Masamusou
11-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Well, due to friction, you will probably end up with one string close to where you want it and the previous string lower than you want it. Also, it really doesn't help the consistency of the job at all. By one-ahead, they usually mean to weave the cross string ahead of the one you are about to tension. If you tension the 3rd cross, then you should have had the 4th cross already woven through before tensioning. Then after the 3rd is clamped off and you release tension, weave the 5th cross through before tensioning the 4th, etc. I usually weave a bit more ahead if possible. Never tension more than one string at a time, it's not a good idea and generally frowned upon by any reputable stringer, including the USRSA.

mellofelow
11-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Fugetaboudit!!! Cut it and do it over. It can do more damage to your game than anything else.

SageOfDeath
11-06-2005, 11:22 AM
49 for crosses is really low..... I don't know that's just my opinion.

Anyways yes it will result in an inconsistant tension, which could be bad for your game because you have to adjust, but the same could be said for switching racquets or strings.

FlyingBoat
11-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Oh, well, I will give it a try this afternoon. The low tension on the crosses is due to I understand that Ashaway Dynamite should be strung at 15% to 20% less than normal.

nViATi
11-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Well, due to friction, you will probably end up with one string close to where you want it and the previous string lower than you want it. Also, it really doesn't help the consistency of the job at all. By one-ahead, they usually mean to weave the cross string ahead of the one you are about to tension. If you tension the 3rd cross, then you should have had the 4th cross already woven through before tensioning. Then after the 3rd is clamped off and you release tension, weave the 5th cross through before tensioning the 4th, etc. I usually weave a bit more ahead if possible. Never tension more than one string at a time, it's not a good idea and generally frowned upon by any reputable stringer, including the USRSA.
What is the benefit of weaving one ahead?

Masamusou
11-06-2005, 12:40 PM
For example, if you weave one ahead, the tension from the 3rd cross string that you last tensioned will stagger the mains a bit. This means that the 5th cross should be easier to weave because the mains are already staggered. As you go along tensioning the crosses you notice how the mains stagger a bit with the last tensioned cross? By weaving one ahead you are more guiding the cross over a main that is down a little, and under a main that is up a little. It just makes it a little quicker because you can weave a bit straighter instead of such an extreme up and down weave that you get with not weaving one ahead. Just think of it as which is easier: weaving over a string that is up and under a string that is down, or over a string that is down and under a string that is up.

SageOfDeath
11-06-2005, 01:07 PM
Oh, well, I will give it a try this afternoon. The low tension on the crosses is due to I understand that Ashaway Dynamite should be strung at 15% to 20% less than normal.

Well if I were you I would just tension the string bed the same tension instead of having the crosses lower. That's just me, but realize the crosses already are a lot lower tension than the mains, if you pull 49 pounds it will be less.

dmastous
11-06-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't know if pulling tension on 2 crosses will cause the overall tension to be that much lower than the target tension. If you're picky you can cut it out and do it over, but, to me I might give it try. Might like it.
As for why you string one ahead, that's just a technique that makes it easier to weave the crosses. If you weave then tension the next string, when you weave you are going OVER a string that is lifted by the previous string, and UNDER a string that is begin pushed down by the previouse cross. If you weave the next string before tensioning the current string, now you are going over a string that is pushed down by the cross string 2 weaves ago, and under one that was pushed up 2 weaves ago.

Masamusou
11-06-2005, 01:32 PM
I have no proof of this, but since the crosses usually end up about 15 lbs. lower than reference tension anyway, I imagine pulling tension on two crosses would be really bad as far as deviation from reference tension goes. There's just so much friction to get through if you are pulling 2 crosses at once. If you pull 2 mains you have friction from the grommets strip as it goes around, but that's about it. With the crosses you have the grommet strip, and 32 or so mains that are applying friction as you are pulling tension. I wouldn't try it personally. Call it youthful discretion if you want.

Jeff488
11-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Flying Boat --- are you like the "China Clipper" or more like the PBY Catalina?

David Pavlich
11-07-2005, 06:20 AM
Regardless of what anyone posts here, a string job that has had 2 strings pulled, or as it's called, double pulling, may just be the #1 cardinal sin of stringing...period. It creates a very inferior stringbed and does not deserve to see the light of a tennis court.

David

FlyingBoat
11-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Regardless of what anyone posts here, a string job that has had 2 strings pulled, or as it's called, double pulling, may just be the #1 cardinal sin of stringing...period. It creates a very inferior stringbed and does not deserve to see the light of a tennis court.

David

Your probably right. I played pretty bad with, probably going to cut it out or just use one of my other rackets I have strung.

FlyingBoat
11-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Flying Boat --- are you like the "China Clipper" or more like the PBY Catalina?

Hmm, I am not sure what those are. But I am "flying boat" because I have a rubber boat that looks somewhat like an everglades boat, but it has a wing and you take off from the water and fly it up in the air from lake to lake. Lately tennis has been taking too much of my time though and is much less risk so the boat sits in the garage and I haven't completed training on it. Much better to mess up a string job then connect the improperly and find out when you are up in the air! Though it sure is beautiful taking off from the water.