PDA

View Full Version : First Time NG User: Titan

bruce nissenbaum
11-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Tempted by the price of Titan NG, I strung and played with NG for the first time using 17g at mid-range in a mid-plus. I tried to follow all the suggestions/recs about NG I've read on these boards. I chose to string 2 piece. The string felt fairly stiff (not what I expected from NG), but not brittle. The dia measured 1.25 mm, as advertised. There were some discolorations. Basically, it seemed fairly uniform. There was very little elasticity apparent on prestretching; in fact, a 10.0 cm length changed by only 0.4 cm and the diameter remained statistically unchanged at 58# tension. I haven't cut it out yet so I don't about its resilience over time.

Working slowly and deliberately to avoid kinking or other problems, the mains strung up fairly easily. The clamps had been thoroughly cleaned and adjusted and there was very little notice of discoloration or deformity. There was no fraying. Incurred some problem due to pressure of the tensioner, but got it resolved. The knots did not cinch up as well as I would have liked, but they are holding quite well. The mains were waxed, top and bottom, before weaving the crosses.

Tying the 3 loop fisherman style starting knot caused some problem due to string stiffness and friction, but it got done. There was a lot more friction stringing the crosses than with just about any other string I've worked with, so the process was really slow. But I managed to get it done without any fraying or kinking. The final knot cinch up was about the same as with the mains.

Frankly, I have not been impressed playing with the Titan. It feels a lot stiffer and less comfortable than I expected NG to be. Shot making feels like the string bed is not very uniform. The 'sweet spot' (when I hit it!) feels very small. I feel like I'm working harder with NG than I thought I would.

Bottom line: Titan 17 compares very unfavorably with my preferred string, Laserfibre Supreme 17. Titan may not have been the best choice for first time NG user. :-(

Reading many other NG threads, it seems that maybe I've got to try something like BDE or Babolat before making any decisions about NG.

bigbanger
11-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Titan doesn't seem to be getting too many positive customer reviews here. See this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=74158. I'd try another brand of gut, like BDE, Klip or Babolat, before giving up on NG. FWIW, I've had excellent luck with Klip's 17g uncoated gut.

Richie Rich
11-06-2005, 05:17 PM
never tried Titan gut but have played with VS touch, Bab Tonic, Klip (coated), & Bow Brand. VS Touch felt the best for the life of the string and also was the most durable. It was the most expensive too so I had to chose another gut. Tonis was OK but the 15L gauge didn't work too well with my game. Klip 16 was nice. Good quality string, reasonable price, good playability. Bow 16 wasn't bad and at the time was the cheapest. It was my fav until they raised the price and started to have quality issues (not sure if they are resolved but haven't seen many complaints lately).

I really don't think you can go wrong with any gut from the big brands. Gut like Titan seem like seconds to me and not worth the quality issues even though they seems cheaper at first.