PDA

View Full Version : why do some break stings so often?

jackson vile
11-06-2005, 12:33 PM
I see some people that say they only get 1-3 games out of string, how do you afford that when it comes to gut?

I have been trying to break my strings so that have a reason to restring it, but it just won't go.

nViATi
11-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I see some people that say they only get 1-3 games out of string, how do you afford that when it comes to gut?

I have been trying to break my strings so that have a reason to restring it, but it just won't go.
If they break that fast they won't use gut.

dmastous
11-06-2005, 12:47 PM
If they break that fast they won't use gut.
Players who hit with lots of spin and power cause the main strings to move more, and they get sawed by the cross strings as a result. That is the most common way for strings to break.
Many players will cut out the string and replace it if it's in the racquet too long. For me more than 6 months is too long.
As for how they afford it, I picked up a stringer and pay cheaper prices for string than what you get charged at local sporting goods stores. So it only costs me $5-$10 to restring my racquet (plus 20 or 30 minutes of time)

stc9357
11-06-2005, 01:07 PM
For me longer than three to four weeks is to long. I will start losing control of my strokes and have to readjust to get my shots to stay. Like today had string in for about two weeks but I'm going to cut it out so I can put fresh string in plus this is a new racket so I'm trying to find the ideal string tension for it.

doriancito
11-06-2005, 01:10 PM
some strings are made for spin and have extra lubrication coat so that they dont burn when you hit the ball but some are niot made for spin but work really well at using them for spin strings so they dont come with that lubrication where the strings intersect and they burn and break mor rapidly

jackson vile
11-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I hit with spin exclusively these strings won't break, I have seen strings break 2 times.

1)A serve that I hit to my wife that was a rock and it was at the bottom
2)some kid with a brand new LMR+ just mis hit lightly and the string poped

I am guessing that the quality of the stringing job matters a lot, here they do a crapy around the world. My racquet has 4 ties. Don't know the stringing.

SteveI
11-08-2005, 05:46 AM
I hit with spin exclusively these strings won't break, I have seen strings break 2 times.

1)A serve that I hit to my wife that was a rock and it was at the bottom
2)some kid with a brand new LMR+ just mis hit lightly and the string poped

I am guessing that the quality of the stringing job matters a lot, here they do a crapy around the world. My racquet has 4 ties. Don't know the stringing.

Hitting the sweetspot is the key. If you hit balls near the frame.. you can shear the string. The better player you are.. the more often you will hit the sweetspot.. the less you will break strings due to shear forces. There are some players that just saw thur strings due to hitting with extreme spin.. or extreme power. In general.. it is much harder to break strings if you are hitting the sweetspot vs not hitting the sweetspot on a regular basic. Using a frame with an open string pattern can also add to string breakage vs more closed patterns.

Regards,
Steve

backcourt
11-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Playing on clay will also cause you to break strings more often due to the grit that accumulates on the strings.

Cruzer
11-08-2005, 09:44 AM

Four knots means that your racquet was strung with two separate pieces of string and there is nothing wrong with that and it is quite possible that the manufacturer of your racquet may recommend two piece stringing.
People who break their strings in a short period of time (1 - 3 games) are probably not using the best string for the style of play and/or racquet. Their are lots of very durable strings that will last for many sets for even the hardest hitters. Consider the pros are not breaking strings every 1 -3 games. Many use the same racquet for an entire match.

Bobo Lat
11-08-2005, 11:04 AM
some strings are made for spin and have extra lubrication coat so that they dont burn when you hit the ball but some are niot made for spin but work really well at using them for spin strings so they dont come with that lubrication where the strings intersect and they burn and break mor rapidly

You say that "some strings are made for spin and have extra lubrication coat so that they dont burn when you hit the ball". Hummm. Forgive me for my ignorance, but wouldn't this "extra lubrication coat" work against spinning? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything like that. I'd really like to know the answer to this, because I've read here one or two complains that, precisely due to a coating, a certain string is not good for spinning.

stc9357
11-08-2005, 02:08 PM
You say that "some strings are made for spin and have extra lubrication coat so that they dont burn when you hit the ball". Hummm. Forgive me for my ignorance, but wouldn't this "extra lubrication coat" work against spinning? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything like that. I'd really like to know the answer to this, because I've read here one or two complains that, precisely due to a coating, a certain string is not good for spinning.

The extra lub. doesn't help every topspin string that is supposed to give you more topspin don't work except for polys and strings that are rough. Some peopl actually sand their strings to enhance spin but I doubt that works either. The key to spin is technique and the tension a string is set at.

jackson vile
11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Four knots means that your racquet was strung with two separate pieces of string and there is nothing wrong with that and it is quite possible that the manufacturer of your racquet may recommend two piece stringing.
People who break their strings in a short period of time (1 - 3 games) are probably not using the best string for the style of play and/or racquet. Their are lots of very durable strings that will last for many sets for even the hardest hitters. Consider the pros are not breaking strings every 1 -3 games. Many use the same racquet for an entire match.

With the racquet that I have and for how high the tension is I am forced to hit that sweet spot right on:mrgreen:

Also I did not think to consider the sand from the clay courts, good thinking on that.

I am just worried about stuff getting too expensive, thank you