PDA

View Full Version : Barricade III's and Orthotics

IceBlue
02-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey everyone. I just got a pair of Barricade III's and I wear custom orthotics. Should I take out the insoles that came with the Barricade III's and put the orthotics in, or put the orthotics over the top of the regular insoles? I was just concerned if there would be enough cushioning if I did it the first way, considering the orthotics are hard plastic. Or is there some other way I should do this? Also, it might be difficult to tie the shoes if the orthotics are over the regular insoles, especially if I wear Thorlo socks.

Okay thanx, any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

coachrick
02-26-2004, 09:30 PM
Ice, I've been wearing orthotics since before they had a name--1972...many shoes will not allow the factory sockliner to be used with the orthotics--depends on the style of sockliner and depth of the shoe. More than likely, you WILL want something between you and the orthotic; however, your Dr. might not want anything too thick or shapely(would alter the final effect of the orthotic). I have removed thinner insoles from some shoes to use with orthotics and saved them for subsequent pairs that had inappropriate factory liners. This changes with shoe styles even within a manufacturer--New Balance, for example, offers thin sockliners with some styles and quite thick insoles with others. Over the years, I have used thin socks with some combinations and Thorlos with others. I can tell you that I wear a size larger shoe for teaching as compared with competition shoes that are smaller and tighter-fitting. Most 'sport' orthotics have a padded top to cut down on discomfort but I have always wanted additional padding by way of the above-mentioned extra liners. Good luck!!!

Ronaldo
03-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Sorbothane and Spenco have flat insoles you can use under the orthotics but you may ride too high in the shoe or not have enough room in the toe-box using them under the orthotics. Have glued Spenco insoles over the orthotics but it affects how well the orthotic works.

tennis*bill
03-16-2004, 10:29 AM
I've been wearing orthodics since 1994 and have had this dilema many times. When I first started I always either removed the insert, or cut out the arch support of them per my podiatrist instructions. Since then, shoes changed and I like keeping the insert in them. This doesn't work for all shoes, so it makes it difficult to find a pair that fit correctly. I've never tried putting the insert over the orthodic, may have to think about that. I would like to be able to buy the shoes I want.

The previous versions of barricades did not work for me w/ orthodics, maybe these will. I haven't been able to wear adidas since they changed from the 'pod' shoes - the 'feet you wear' type. Those were their best shoes - low to the ground and friendly for orthodics.