PDA

View Full Version : Suitable string and tension for RDX 500 Plus

HappyLefty
11-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Guys,
Recently I bought a RDX 500 Plus and I was wondering which is the right string and tension for this racquet.
In priority order, I'm looking for spin potential (my game style), comfort (my elbow issue) and durability (my wallet).
I have no experience with this racquet, so your opinions are welcome.

Note: I'm aware spin is a matter of technique rather than a brand. That's why I posted "spin potential" not just spin. :rolleyes:

Jerry Seinfeld
11-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Laserfiber Laserlite XL 16L offers good spin, excellent comfort and above average durability. It is a solid core string with multiple wraps that help account for the comfort.

Kevo
11-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Head RIP Control would be a good one to test. Any 16 or 17 gauge softer synthetic gut would probably work as well depending on the priority you place on spin versus durability. With the RDX 500 MP, you can't help but get spin on almost any string.

HappyLefty
11-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Laserfiber Laserlite XL 16L offers good spin, excellent comfort and above average durability. It is a solid core string with multiple wraps that help account for the comfort.

TW doesn`t have this string. Any other recommendation?

samster
11-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Natural gut mains and Klip K-boom in crosses, both 17 gauges. Strings don't move that much and you get wicked spin.

samster
11-08-2005, 07:21 PM
I also forgot to mention that I have (still have) shoulder problems and this combination is comfortable despite the K-boom being a polyester string. It is a soft poly with pretty decent tension retention. I use this combination in my MP-tour 5 and Ti-80 (both midplus rackets).

JediMindTrick
11-09-2005, 08:06 AM
This racquet is a spin monster so you will get spin with any string. The best string for spin and comfort is natural gut so if you are not a string breaker that would be no. 1 choice. If you are a string breaker and you are concerned about your wallet that is not an option. Since you have tennis elbow I guess polyester is out of the question too. Your best bet is probably a multi like Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro Spin. It is specially designed to give a lot of spin, it is comfortable because it is a multi, and it is more durable because of the 16 thickness.

JediMindTrick
11-09-2005, 08:12 AM
I forgot about the tension. This one is easy, lower tension gives you better spin, comfort and durability. So you should go to the lowest recomended tension. Also Yonex recomends stringing crosses 5% lower than mains. So try 55 on the mains and 52 on the crosses.

monologuist
11-09-2005, 08:23 AM
what is an rdx-500 plus? How is it different than a regular rdx-500?

HappyLefty
11-09-2005, 05:41 PM
what is an rdx-500 plus? How is it different than a regular rdx-500?

RDX 500 MID: 16x18
RDX 500 Mid Plus: 16x19
RDX 500 HD: 18x20

HappyLefty
11-09-2005, 05:43 PM
This racquet is a spin monster so you will get spin with any string. The best string for spin and comfort is natural gut so if you are not a string breaker that would be no. 1 choice. If you are a string breaker and you are concerned about your wallet that is not an option. Since you have tennis elbow I guess polyester is out of the question too. Your best bet is probably a multi like Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro Spin. It is specially designed to give a lot of spin, it is comfortable because it is a multi, and it is more durable because of the 16 thickness.

Thanks Jedi,
Yes, I`m a string breaker. I`ll give a try to this 850 you mention. BTW, it`s cheap.:)