PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation please...RDX 500

emerckx53
11-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I just picked up a new RDX 500. I am getting back into the sport after 8 year layoff....please recommend a tension and string type that will be formost easy on my arm then durable and then playability last...for now. Until I get acclimated. I was a 5.0 player when I stopped because of arm problems.

Thanks, Michael

iscottius
11-07-2005, 04:50 PM
wilson nxt
babolat xcell
technofibre nrg
gamma live wire xp

16 guage 57-58

Keifers
11-07-2005, 04:55 PM
emerckx, did you get a midplus or a mid. They're quite different.

emerckx53
11-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks to both of you for the quick response..

It is the 90.

monologuist
11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
1.BDE Performance (or Klip Legend) Natural Gut 16 gauge mains / Gosen OG Micro 16 crosses (or 17 gauge for both)

2.Yonex Tour Super 850 16L

3.Laserfibre Supreme 16 (or 17)

4.Klip Excellerator 16 (or 17)

..in that order

Kevo
11-07-2005, 05:08 PM
If you like to hit hard, try Babolat Powergy at 60/57lbs. I like all of monologuist suggestions as well. I am currently playing with Klip Legend 16 at 60/57 in one of my frames, and it is very nice, maybe a tad too much power at this tension, and in the other frame I have Dynamite 17 at 54/51, also a decent string in most respects. At this tension it has a bit less oomph than the gut, but feels similar except that it is more crisp.

emerckx53
11-07-2005, 05:43 PM
1.BDE Performance (or Klip Legend) Natural Gut 16 gauge mains / Gosen OG Micro 16 crosses (or 17 gauge for both)

2.Yonex Tour Super 850 16L

3.Laserfibre Supreme 16 (or 17)

4.Klip Excellerator 16 (or 17)

..in that order

Ok. I take it the Klip/Gosen combo is the only hybrid..do most stringers have that available? Can I purchase these from TW? what is the preferred packaging?

Thanks for dealing with all of the questions its been awhile!

goosala
11-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Try a multifilament like Dunlop Max Comfort 17 or Tecnifibre E-Matrix 17. I would recommend tensions below 60, say 56 to 58 lbs. I also would try adding three inches of lead tape to each side of the head at 3 and 9 o'clock to give you some more stability. Arm problems are usually caused by shock and the more weight you have the less shock your arm will feel. The RDX500 is not stiff so you have chosen an arm friendly frame.

matchpoint54
11-07-2005, 07:57 PM
I would try a nice multifilament. Maybe NXT or Live Wire would suit your game.

monologuist
11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Ok. I take it the Klip/Gosen combo is the only hybrid..do most stringers have that available? Can I purchase these from TW? what is the preferred packaging?

Thanks for dealing with all of the questions its been awhile!

well..most stringers will have some sort of gut....and just use Gosen OG Micro or some other cheap synthetic gut as a cross....Ektelon Powerplay 16 works well too (listed under Prince strings on TW), as well as Forten Synthetic Gut (aka Forten Sweet)....this hybrid will end up costing similar to most of the multifilaments recommended, around 15$, and will have better feel, tension holding, and is the most arm-friendly setup possible....you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from an all-gut setup. Should work well in a low-powered frame like the rdx-500 mid. The Yonex would be cheaper at around 10$, and is defintiely worth a try. If you use a multi, I'd string it around 2 lbs. higher than your target tension to account for tension loss, unless it is the Yonex or the Laserfibre, which both hold tension very well. If you use the gut hybrid, I'd string it around 2 lbs. higher than the target tension that you'd setup a multifilament at, to account for it being more powerful. In other words, either way, multi or gut hybrid, try stringing the RDX at 2 lbs. over mid point tension and go from there.

emerckx53
11-08-2005, 08:08 AM
well..most stringers will have some sort of gut....and just use Gosen OG Micro or some other cheap synthetic gut as a cross....Ektelon Powerplay 16 works well too (listed under Prince strings on TW), as well as Forten Synthetic Gut (aka Forten Sweet)....this hybrid will end up costing similar to most of the multifilaments recommended, around 15$, and will have better feel, tension holding, and is the most arm-friendly setup possible....you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from an all-gut setup. Should work well in a low-powered frame like the rdx-500 mid. The Yonex would be cheaper at around 10$, and is defintiely worth a try. If you use a multi, I'd string it around 2 lbs. higher than your target tension to account for tension loss, unless it is the Yonex or the Laserfibre, which both hold tension very well. If you use the gut hybrid, I'd string it around 2 lbs. higher than the target tension that you'd setup a multifilament at, to account for it being more powerful. In other words, either way, multi or gut hybrid, try stringing the RDX at 2 lbs. over mid point tension and go from there.

Thanks Mono...that is exactly what I needed. I used to use a gut/syn gut combo in my ps/85. I am with you on the slightly higher tension number based on the gut's power....

Thanks again-