PDA

View Full Version : 2nd post on strings for a 18X20 small headed frame. Please advise.

dr4hand
11-08-2005, 06:08 AM
HI,

I have posted on this before.
The issue is a good string choice for a 89 sq in head prestige predecessor model with a 18X20 pattern.

I have found that for me the Head Intellitour 17g strung at 55 lb is the best setting for power and feel. However, after I play 3-4 sets with this set up the strings loose tension and start moving more then I would like.

Can anybody suggest a better string with respect to maintenance of tension and comparable performance to the Intellitour?

I have tried 18g PSGD at 54lb and found it too harsh on my arm and providing much less feel then the intellitour.

Please advise.

Thank you.

dr4hand

TheRed
11-08-2005, 06:14 AM
If you're not too concerned about costs, try using RIP control (same mains as intellitour) in the mains and natural gut in the crosses. Tension maintenance will be better with gut and gut seems to lock the mains in more. Or you could try using string savers, which will keep the strings in place but tension loss will be the same.

dr4hand
11-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks.

I am not too concerned about cost because the 18x20 pattern and the small head really do not allow much string breaking to happen...so If I found an ideal string that would hold tension, and provide spin and power similar or more then the intellitour I would be ready to pay for it as it hopefully would last long.

IN reality I could go gut too if I only knew that the added power and tension maintenance would be good and not too harsh on my arm.

thanks again

JediMindTrick
11-08-2005, 09:03 AM
I have recently tried natural gut for the first time and I was floored. Compared to a multi like NXT, I got more power, more spin, better tension holding, more feel and more comfort (and NXT is considered one of the most comfortable strings on the market). You shouldn't have any concerns about natural gut being harsh on the arm. Natural gut is more elastic and that is why it gives you both more power and more comfort even at higher tension. If you are not a string breaker you should definitely try a full natural gut job. Even a good multi like NXT feels like a piece of crap compared to nat. gut. I know I am not going to use anything else.

As an added bonus nat. gut doesn't move at all. I am playing with a lot of spin and NXT was moving like crazy and it was difficult to move it back with my fingers. The funny thing is that I can move the nat. gut very easy with my fingers but it snaps back in its original position. After 4 hours of play the string haven't moved at all. I think they move when I hit but they snap back at once.

badmice2
11-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Tecnifibre NRG or Bi-Phase are a good multi-strings to use on such tight pattern. If not; as recommended, use natural guts. Avoid string with polys like big banger (although some pros do) if you're concern with elbow problem.

Dropping your string tension by 1-2 lbs could help the longevity on strings as well.

dr4hand
11-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Thank you.

So now if I liked a Intellitour 17 g at 55, which specific brand of gut would you suggest (excluding the expensive Babolat) and what gage? Is 17 g MUCH weaker then 16? Or would I get a priori mo spin with a 16g gut just because it is gut and so going 17 g may not be necessary?

Also, what tension would be good? 52 ?

What is your most effective way of caring for your gut? Moistenning with oil etc.

Thanks

mark1
11-08-2005, 02:01 PM
tonic or legend 16g would be nice...i prefer the tonic over the legend, but really you cant go wrong with either one as they are both excellent for the money. with nat gut i would increase tension a little bit over the intellitour to offset the power of the nat gut...

NoBadMojo
11-08-2005, 02:08 PM
I dont recommend changing the tension when changing strings on the first stringjob unless changing to a poly. the rule of thumb is to only change one element at a time. besides, you may like the extra power the gut gives you..it may help your game and you may find more control for the newfound power by the better access to spin of gut and the better ball feel resulting in better control that many people experience........or not. in any case you will be able to tell the effect of moving to gut by keeping the tension the same the first time...plus gut holds it's tension better anyway so the gut may end up tighter even at the same tension within a short period of time depending upon what you were using before

nViATi
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Try prestretching the string. That should help to lower the amount of tension lost.

dr4hand
11-08-2005, 04:51 PM
These are all excellent thoughts thank you all.

I am looking forward to trying out the gut.

Hopefully I will join the band of happy gut users.

doriancito
11-08-2005, 05:53 PM
i have the same problem with my 95" ncode at 18*20 string pattern im still searching and trying though....to look for the PERFECT string

shacked
11-08-2005, 05:56 PM
if cost is not an issue, try lux alu...and vs in your crosss

Keifers
11-08-2005, 07:16 PM
I put 18 ga Bow Brand nat gut in my Dunlop MW200g @ 59 (1lb below mid tension; 18x20, 95") and it worked very well. All the benefits of gut and almost no string movement.

A hybrid of VS Team 17 nat gut and Gosen JC 16 @ 56 in a PS Tour 90 (1lb above mid; 16x19) has worked very well also. JC makes the stringbed a little firmer that all gut.

I suspect you'll really enjoy nat gut in your racquet. Player's frames like that were almost "made for gut."