PDA

View Full Version : Are multifilaments too soft?

Golden Retriever
11-08-2005, 08:07 AM
I switched from poly to multi because poly gave me shoulder problems. All were fine until I used it in a match at which I was bageled partly due to the strings. Multi is just too soft making the ball too unpredictable during a match situation. There is no control to speak of. Well, back to poly and painful shoulder.

ragnaROK
11-08-2005, 08:15 AM
What kind of multis are you using? There are mushy multis and they are crisp ones. Try stringing at a higher tension before you give up on multis. I switched to multis for the very same reason but Im doing fine now.

Rabbit
11-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Laserfibre Supreme is a good choice for a firmer playing multi. Coming from a poly, most anything is going to feel ultra-soft. Give youself a little time to get used to the change in feel and everything will work out. If you just can't do that, consider hybriding a poly with a multi to soften the string job and alleviate some of the pain.

NoBadMojo
11-08-2005, 09:58 AM
I agree with Rabbit's suggestion of Lasefibre Supreme for someone coming from poly..it's a boardy stiffer deader playing string for a multi (inspite of people proclaining it as crisp) and would be a bit similar to hitting with poly except less shock and better tension holding. You may also wish to try IsoSpeed or Head Rip Control.

jasonbourne
11-08-2005, 10:13 AM
I recently used a LF Supreme 16 (60lbs) and 17 (58lbs) in my n6.1 18x20. Both felt soft, not crisp or stiff.
Zyex strings felt stiffer and crisp compared to the LF Supreme. Both string brands are comfortable for the shoulder.

Slazenger
11-08-2005, 12:05 PM
I too had shoulder problems and started at first using the Babolat VS nat gut/Pro Hurricane poly hybrid @ 57lbs. Fantastic, but costly.

Switched to all multi (used 3 different ones now. Klipper pearl zone @ 56lbs, NXT 17 @ 55lbs and Tecnifibre NRG @ 55lbs all 17guage)

They all feel great (The technifibre is the best of the bunch though IMO) . My accuracy didn't suffer with the change though.

ragnaROK
11-08-2005, 12:50 PM
My favorite multi getting away from poly was Technifibre X-1 Biphase. Try coupling that with some poly.

shacked
11-08-2005, 07:04 PM
The multi does feel great...from jump street! but it loose's tension fast, imo.
I was using a Gamma pro 17.....lm presige at about...62@60

Ronaldo
11-08-2005, 07:13 PM
All of the Babolat multis IMHO are on the crisp side compared to NXT or NRG.

goober
11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Why don't you go hybrid with poly and multi?

cbegap
11-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Gosen Super JC plays very crisp IMO because it is a synthetic mono core with an outter wrap. So it is similar to Poly in construction but made with different stuff so it doesn't seem as harsh. It is affordable and a good compromise IMO.

Guga_x
11-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Go hybrid. Best of both worlds.

Valjean
11-11-2005, 04:32 AM
The standard recommendation when switching to a multi from just synthetic gut used to be to raise the tension by as much as five lbs.... Which multi did you try? What tension did you use?

I would second Ronaldo and say you might try FiberTour. If you still aren't satisfied, try cbegap's suggestion...

fastdunn
11-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Laserfibre mulit's are very crisp strings. I found the Supreme can be
felt stiff on off-center hits. But it generally has nice premium multi feel.
IMO fundamentally different from polys on looser tension.

Somewhat less crisp and cheaper is Yonex line of multi's. Thay are all
nice strings. I also found Klip Exellerator good but somewhat like a
mono-feel. I also found Babolat Sytronic Brio frim.

But in overall in terms of tension/playability maintenance, feel, power
and durability, I found myself I always go back to LF Supreme.
It's only multi I can play 40 hours until its sweet spot area
frays to violin string thin and pops....