PDA

View Full Version : Soft Tennis

Ash Doyle
11-08-2005, 09:45 AM
I've just recently learned about a sport played in Japan and other Asian countries called Soft Tennis. It's played on a court that is an exact copy of a tennis court, but uses softer and lighter balls, and uses lighter racquets. Anybody know much about this?

Tchocky
11-08-2005, 09:55 AM
That sounds pretty stupid. It doesn't seem much different. You can buy softer, lighter balls and most beginners prefer lighter racquets.

Ash Doyle
11-09-2005, 04:40 AM
http://www.soft-tennis.org/main.htm
http://www.jsta.or.jp/world/

Phil
11-09-2005, 05:45 AM
I've just recently learned about a sport played in Japan and other Asian countries called Soft Tennis. It's played on a court that is an exact copy of a tennis court, but uses softer and lighter balls, and uses lighter racquets. Anybody know much about this?

Yeah, I know a little about it. The racquets are thin-beamed-a cross between a tennis and a squash racquet (mostly made by Yonex). The ball is rubber and it can actually be inflated. You can hit the ball as hard as you can and it won't go out. Normally played on a clay or omni court, but no rules against playing on hard, though I haven't seen this. Most tennis players can make the transition to soft tennis rather quickly, but the opposite is not true for those who play soft tennis exclusively. I've had a few hits, but haven't played any matches. I've watched it played...as Tchocky said, it's a poor man's tennis.

scez
11-09-2005, 06:54 AM
This guy who sometimes came to my tennis camp who is a good player switched from tennis to soft tennis. He said it is all about using a ton of spin.

SC in MA
11-09-2005, 07:11 AM
I saw it played back in the 70's in Japan. If I remember correctly, it was mostly played by school age girls. The ball was a very soft rubber ball that allowed for great topspin. Most players used the same grip and side of the racket for forehands and backhands. I don't recall any net play/volleying. I think it was pretty much all baseline play, but I could be wrong.

I think there was a Japanese female who was a previous soft tennis champion, who became the top Japanese female tennis player (again back in the 70's). She used her soft tennis strokes and grip in her regular tennis play, hitting her forehands and backhands with the same grip on the same side of the racket.