PDA

View Full Version : Wrist problems?

david7410
05-27-2004, 12:39 AM
My right wrist (racquet hand) seems to be a lot weaker than my left wrist. I'm not sure what I've done to it, but if I grip my racquet fairly hard for just a moment it starts to become tired and weak. Most of my errors come from my racquet rotating in my hand on contact because I cannot seem to grip it tight enough.

It's not really a matter of grip size... I have tried several sizes and now use 4 1/2. I can grip it just fine, but like I said... after a while my wrist just gets really tired and it becomes difficult to hold onto my racquet properly.

Any remedies?

iamamultitasker
06-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Some suggestions from a person who has finally solved his chronic wrist problems:

1. Never use kevlar or polyester strings even in a hybrid. These are too stiff for someone with a joint problem. Conversely, try using a soft multifilament string such as Alpha gut 2000.

2. Try stringing at the lower end of the tension range for your racquet. I used to string at the high end, but putting it in the low end definitely helped my wrist.

3. Try switching to an oversized racquet. I went from a Wilson Prostaff to a Prince Bandit which made a huge difference. The Bandit is much more muted and vibration free which allowed my wrist to avoid getting tweaked.

4. Avoid playing with heavy balls like Dunlop Grand Prix or Wilson US Open. These balls play great, but put a lot of stress on your wrist as they are much heavier than Penn or Wilson.