PDA

View Full Version : A racket strung... for a while !

Dhalsim
11-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Actually i try to find somebody who wants to play with me... but one of my rackets was strung 3 years ago !!! I saw on the web, that it was highly recommanded to restring after 2 to 3 months of play ! Can i hurt my arm because of lose of elasticity ? Should i cut or it's not a big deal ?
Thanks, regards.

Dhalsim
11-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I know my thread looks like "It is OK to string with 3-year-old strings ?"'s thread, but if you read both, you will see that it's not exactly the same thing :) !

LoveThisGame
11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
1) If you know what tension it was strung at, try to find someone with a Stringmeter to GUESS at how much tension has been lost

2) Find a wall to hit against to see how it feels.

3) How much play did the racquet see on that string job before you quit playing? If considerable, re-string it.

4) At least some strings will still be reasonably OK.

5) If you still have doubts and you really intend to resume playing, get it re-strung so that you enjoy your return!

dmastous
11-08-2005, 05:47 PM
It proabably won't hurt your arm to play with a racquet like that. Especially if you don't hit really are or put too much into you swing. If you are casual player, it should be fine.
It will be a good idea to put some new string in it down the road to get the most out of the frame though.

equinox
11-08-2005, 09:53 PM
I strung gosen protuff and it felt great for 10-12 sets.

Then I had one bad day (close win) and i realised the lack of control was because the string had lost tension.

I now cut these strings out after 2 weeks maximum play.

6 months is far too long.

I've played with poly/15g crosses for 2 months and the difference compared to new restringing is amazing.

Dhalsim
11-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Thank you guys for your answers ! I will see :) ...

BLiND
11-09-2005, 05:05 AM
general rule of thumb, is to restring the number times each year,... that you play every week... e.g. twice a week playing tennis, re-string every 6 months at least.

vinnier6
11-09-2005, 06:52 AM
the strings in that racquet are going to be dead, no ifs ands or buts about it....get a fresh job in it...its all about the tension, and years of sitting around will have left that racquet dead...