PDA

View Full Version : Reviews of Klip Legend 18 gut and Volkl Power Fiber II 18

monologuist
11-09-2005, 12:09 PM
I've tried a couple 18 gauge (118-120mm) setups in my Yonex Ti-70 frames. I wanted to see if it would improve spin potential of the tight 18x20 pattern. My standard setup for this frame is BDE Performance 17 (122mm. gut) mains/ Gosen OG Super Micro 17 (also 122 mm.) crosses at around 55 lbs. While this is a 17 gauge setup, both the BDE and the Gosen are on the thin side for 17, really a 17L, so I was not expecting a drastic difference. The 18g. setups I used to compare were :

1. Klip Legend 18 (120 mm.) mains/ Gosen OG Micro 18 crosses @ 55 lbs. :
There was a significant increase in power and loss of control compared to my normal BDE 17 hybrid at the same tension. I was surprised given the difference of only about 2 mm. in thickness. Could it be that Klip gut is just more powerful than BDE? Actually, to be honest, I'm not sure if there was acutally an increase in power, but balls were flying on me more than normal. This frame offers pinpoint control normally with my BDE 17 setup, and with the Klip hybrid, given the same swings, the ball just seemed to be going long. I've heard conflicting things about whether 18 g. is more powerful than 17 g., but thus far in my experimenting with string setups, I have to say that there always seems to be a decrease in control for me when going to thinner gauges. I don't know if this is a power issue, a sweetspot issue, or a ball trajectory issue (it's been suggested that lower string tensions lead to higher ball trajectories, not necessarily greater power). Additionally, either the sweetspot shrank going to the Klip 18g., or the overall sensation at contact was just less solid and stable feeling in general. Possibly just the feeling of less string touching the ball? In any case, this setup didn't work for me, and at best I will try it again at a higher tension, perhaps 2-4 lbs. higher, to see if it's any better.

2. Volkl Power Fiber II 18g. (120 mm.) @ 57 lbs. -
This setup had a noticeable decrease in power compared to my normal BDE 17 hybrid, which I expected, given the increase in tension and the move to a multifilament synthetic. I increased my normal tension by 2 lbs. in this case to account for the tension drop associated with multis compared to natural gut. Surprisingly, the stringjob does not appear to have lost much tension at all, even after a couple of weeks of use. I guess you can add Volkl Power Fiber II to the short list of multis that actually hold their tension very well, on par with the Laserfibres, and Yonexes. This string felt identical to Klip Excellerator, and I suspect it is the same considering the 2 companies affiliation with each other. It has very good control and decent bite, and above average feel for a multi. I'd say it plays on the stiff side, but this may have to do with the excellent tension maintenance. There was again the feeling of decreased solidness, or maybe a shrinking of sweetspot, as with the Klip Legend 18 hybrid. The spin potential was about the same as my BDE 17 hybrid, although it is not a fair comparison given that it is not gut (I seem to get more spin with gut than any other string). The power level was quite a bit lower; I think I'd have to string this stuff at 2-3lbs. BELOW my normal BDE hybrid tension to get a similar power level. In any case, the Volkl string was solid across the board, desipte not being excellent in any one area, so I may use it in my "damp weather" frame, when it is too wet to use gut strings.

In conclusion, as of now, I prefer the BDE Performance 17 hybrid over anything else in my Yonex Ti-70's, and will probably stick with it as my standard setup. If I get around to it, I may give the Klip Legend 18 hybrid another shot at higher tensions, but I suspect that I may just not like the feel of strings that are 120 mm. or thinner, even in a tight 18x20 pattern. The only possible advantage would be an increase in spin potential, but the BDE 17 is already only 122mm., so I have a feeling the difference would be minimal if at all. I'd love to hear what others have to say on this matter though, of thinner strings either shrinking the sweetspot or making the hit feel less solid, as well as the question of whether there is necessarily an increase in power going to the thinner gauge of the same string.

kenyee
11-09-2005, 12:41 PM
I actually think it's because Klip Legend gut is crap, but others in the forum like it a lot :-)
Some folks mentioned that it felt "boardy" until some break-in time (mine never broke in after 3-4 hrs of play)-:

Kevo
11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
I am hitting with Klip Legend 16 right now in my RDX 500 mid, and while I liked it a lot initially, it seems to have dropped a noticeable amount of tension after about 8 hours of hitting. Now it is difficult to keep the ball in play with my normal swing. I think this gut may need to be strung several pounds higher than normal. My other frame with Dynamite 17 at 54/51 feels tighter than the Klip at 60/57. One thing I will say is that there is more spin with the Klip, and it seems to be holding up quite well. I actually like the feel of some of the multis I've tried better though. Powergy has the best feel in the RDX 500 Mid of what I've tried so far, and easily better than the Klip gut at 60/57lbs. of tension.

Sounds like BDE may be worth trying, but given my experience thus far with gut, I think I may stay away for a while.

monologuist
11-09-2005, 03:42 PM
I am hitting with Klip Legend 16 right now in my RDX 500 mid, and while I liked it a lot initially, it seems to have dropped a noticeable amount of tension after about 8 hours of hitting. Now it is difficult to keep the ball in play with my normal swing. I think this gut may need to be strung several pounds higher than normal. My other frame with Dynamite 17 at 54/51 feels tighter than the Klip at 60/57. One thing I will say is that there is more spin with the Klip, and it seems to be holding up quite well. I actually like the feel of some of the multis I've tried better though. Powergy has the best feel in the RDX 500 Mid of what I've tried so far, and easily better than the Klip gut at 60/57lbs. of tension.

Sounds like BDE may be worth trying, but given my experience thus far with gut, I think I may stay away for a while.

well...my BDE 17 hybrid is holding up to heavy use for a month now, 2-3 times a week, couple of hours each time....it may break in the next few sets b/c of fraying, but tension is pretty much exactly where it started off. I like it better than the Klip Legend 17.

as far as multis being better...I think it depends on the frame...but I know what you mean. In my Yonex MP Tour-5 which is a similarly ultra flexible racquet like the RDX-500, gut strings feel almost too soft. I like something a little stiffer to avoid that mushy indistinct feeling....but in my Ti-70 which is somewhat stiff and has a dense stringbed, the gut really shines....miles better than the Klip multi or P.S.G.D. I am stringing up my Ti-70's with Laserfibre Supreme 17, a very thin (122mm) 17g. multi next...if I like it better than the Volkl Power Fiber 18, I'll stick with it for my damp weather stick.

monologuist
11-09-2005, 03:46 PM
I actually think it's because Klip Legend gut is crap, but others in the forum like it a lot :-)
Some folks mentioned that it felt "boardy" until some break-in time (mine never broke in after 3-4 hrs of play)-:

boardy?! Never found any gut to be boardy unless it was over-pre-stretched. BTW, I wouldn't recommend pre-stretching the Klip Legend..any time I've tried that, nothing good comes of it. I don't think it's crap, but I do like the BDE stuff better, and I like the 17 gauge b/c it is a little thinner (122 vs. 125mm) than the Klip 17.

NoBadMojo
11-09-2005, 03:53 PM
klip legend is crap? that's pretty funny. so someone declares a string as crap and offers up no reason why <in their mind> it is crap and they are somehow expected to be considered.

MTChong
11-09-2005, 05:55 PM
Odd, I found Klip's gut to be amazing, especially in terms of feel. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think 18g has more power than 17g so you should have strung higher. You should really give Klip 17g uncoated and try it side by side with the BDE.

NoBadMojo
11-10-2005, 06:32 AM
i would string the 18g looser than 17..it's got less power not more..ball really stays in the pocket w. the 18 and spins the ball like crazy, and that = less power

kenyee
11-10-2005, 08:15 AM
boardy?! Never found any gut to be boardy unless it was over-pre-stretched.

I had it strung from TW on a new racquet and it felt extremely boardy (synth gut feeling. I.e., stiffer than BDE Perf). I would hope that TW knows not to over pre-stretch gut by now :-)

monologuist
11-10-2005, 08:44 AM
i would string the 18g looser than 17..it's got less power not more..ball really stays in the pocket w. the 18 and spins the ball like crazy, and that = less power

well...I don't know which has more power, but I felt that the Klip Legend 18 had less control in terms of velocity than BDE 17. I hit for an hour with each in the exact same frame at the exact same tension, and there was no doubt that my shots were landing deeper with the Legend 18. And my main grip e was the issue of it making the hit feel less solid, possibly shrinking the sweetspot, perhaps just the sensation of less strings on the ball? But I guess that's not a fair straight up comparison since they are not the same brand string....I'd have to compare the Legend 17 with the Legend 18 in the same frames to get a feel for that. I like Legend 17, but prefer the BDE 17 in this particular frame, since it is a little thinner (122 vs. 125 mm.) I'd probably go with the Legend 17 in a frame that was mroe open than the Ti-70.

BTW, I've tried the uncoated Legend, and maybe I'm just so used to coated gut, but I didn't like it as much as the coated Legend...less crisp response or something...hard to put in words.

also...Mojo, do you know if the Volkl Power Fiber is the same stuff as Klip Excellerator?

monologuist
11-10-2005, 08:47 AM
I had it strung from TW on a new racquet and it felt extremely boardy (synth gut feeling. I.e., stiffer than BDE Perf). I would hope that TW knows not to over pre-stretch gut by now :-)

well, I agree that Klip Legend might be a hair stiffer feeling than BDE Performance, but it's hard to compare them directly since they have different gauges (125 vs. 122mm.), and they are probably coated differently.

I do think the Legend softens up after a couple of sets though as does any string....but I personally like the way it feels when it is freshly strung.

NoBadMojo
11-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Mono I made my comment based upon beng a reg user of Klip Legend 17 and playing the 18ga side by side in the same model frame at the same reference tension with a similar prestretch.
I dont know if the 2 strings are the same....i guess they seem that way to you..i've never hit the Power Fiber string

Rabbit
11-10-2005, 09:18 AM
I agree that there is no shortage of power with Legend. I don't know if it's that much more powerful than BDE because I haven't done a side by side in my new frames. I do think that Legend is a fine product as well as BDE. Based on dollars spent, you can't go wrong with either.

I also agree with mono's review of PowerFibre. I really appreicate its comfort. I am experimenting now with tension to try and find the perfect setup for my Cat 8's.

bee
11-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Use Klip Legend 16g uncoated natural gut with Babolat string savers. I like the Klip gut a lot. More than Babolat. And, it's less expensive.

monologuist
11-14-2005, 08:41 AM
well...the Klip Legend 18 I had in my Ti-70 just broke while sitting in my bag at home. It seems to have broken near the top of the frame at 12 o clock, with little warning; in other words there was little visible wear anywhere close to where it broke. It was strung by a guy who is supposedly a master stringer and has always done a great job on my frames, so I doubt it was a stringing "mistake", but then again, maybe he slipped up this time. Anybody have any ideas as to how this could have happened? Something wrong with the grommets? The Klip Legend 18 just inherently fragile? Change of temperature (it gets down to the 50's at night here right now in my apartment, and as high as the 80's during the day outside when I play)?

I had a similar breakage a little while ago but it was using Titan gut, which apparently does not have a great reputation to begin with.

NoBadMojo
11-14-2005, 09:41 AM
i've been using Klip Legend gut in 17g for many string jobs and have used the 18g and havent had one single problem. the fact that it broke near a grommet indicates some sort of shearing....the string could have almost broken by a frame ball and popped in the bag later, there could have been a nick in the string at that point, a bad grommet..lots of things.

monologuist
11-14-2005, 07:50 PM
so if I get a break at the same spot next time around, it's probable that there's something going on with the grommet right? Pretty sure it wasn't from a mishit...with that frame (the Ti-70), I'd probably remember (or at least my arm would) if I mishit near the top of the frame hard enough to almost break a string!