PDA

View Full Version : quick help for rec player

moosryan
11-09-2005, 03:07 PM
OK, one of my good friends just dropped off a racquet with me. She's a 16 year old girl, and doesn't play much, maybe once a week or every 2 weeks, sometimes more sometimes less, but just recreationally. She has a Ti S2.

All I have in stock right now is Lightning XX 17 ( I usually use this for middle aged women) and Duraflex 16 (my personal string).

Which should I put in her racquet.

Thanks,
moos.

scotus
11-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Duraflex, of course. PSGD is pretty much the "standard" in stringing business, isn't it? Almost everyone starts out with it and it gets plenty of repeat customers.

No need to provide higher-end strings to those who cannot appreciate them.

dmastous
11-09-2005, 06:31 PM
As Scotus says, unless she has developed some reason to benefit from a high end string, or can feel the difference between an inexpensive sythetic and and a more expensive string, you would be wasting time & money putting thing but a basic string in her racquet.
That is, unless she has requested a high end string. Then you ask what kind of game she plays and what she is looking for. Chances are, if she is a recreational player you'll just get a blank stare:| . Then when you tell her the price difference, you'll end up putting an inexpensive string in there.:)

156MPHserve
11-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Totally agree with Duraflex. First off, she'll probably love the feeling of a new string job so very unlikely she'll complain. Second of all, she wouldn't know how to appreciate the higher end strings because she has nothing to compare it to. Third of all, she'll like the price, (you make the same anyway)

aer0pr0Dr1v3p1u5
11-09-2005, 07:59 PM
yep, i agree with everyone, the Duraflex is the best. Offers a crisp feeling and good overall.

matchpoint54
11-10-2005, 07:15 PM
I'd string with PSGD. It's a great string that's pretty cheap too.

Valjean
11-11-2005, 03:25 AM
When you already think Lightning XX is a good string for middle-aged women, don't you think it's logical to give it also to a 16-year-old girl who doesn't play so much? I would do just that. PSGD is a bit too hard for casual player, most of whom might be better off with PSG Original. When it first appeared, PSGD was aimed at the then-newly-introduced widebody racquet model (read: Wilson Profile), which was breaking the usual synthetics developed for thinner graphite models. When usually sold at around $5.50 a set, Lightning XX is pretty far from being a "high-end" string, too...

LoveThisGame
11-11-2005, 10:30 AM
I agree with Valjean. There will be better feel and, assuming she doesn't hit much topspin, it will last reasonably well. If she likes the feel, maybe she will play more! And, re-string more!