PDA

View Full Version : looking into gut

POGforEver
11-09-2005, 05:05 PM
I've been playing with the idea of giving gut a try. i play with forten thin blend right now in a POG 93, and i think the kevlar is finally getting to me, i want more feel basically. obviously im looking at Babolat VS. just wondering should i go with a full gut job or hybrid it with something else for my first try? thanks!

Keifers
11-09-2005, 05:20 PM
A hybrid certainly has the advantage of lower cost. Depending on the cross string you select, you can also adjust the feel of the string bed -- a stiffer cross like Gosen JC will give you a slightly firmer feel than all nat gut (which I happen to prefer), and a soft string like Forten Sweet will give you a softer string bed. Cheap solid cores are fine; better than using more expensive multis, in fact.

Maybe go for a firmer string bed to start given what you've been playing with? Experts here say that the mains provide about 80% of the feel and performance of a hybrid.

Good luck. Nat gut is a wonderful experience!

156MPHserve
11-09-2005, 08:23 PM
if you're switching from kevlar... I think you should hybrid something a bit stiffer in the crosses...

POGforEver
11-10-2005, 08:55 PM
what would you suggest for a stiffer cross

hummer23
11-10-2005, 08:59 PM
luxilon alu is a good choice for a crosss. if you are used to stiff feel, adn you like the control of a stiff stringbed, maybe gut crosses is a good idea. Luxilon or hurricane mains, with gut crosses will give you good ball pocketing and feel, but still be druable. A POG mid has a very open string pattern, and gut tends to move quite a bit, poly mains will last a long time. If you are set on gut mains, then luxilon alu is is a good choice for crosses, or as federer does, you can go with alu rough.

156MPHserve
11-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Hmm... there's going to be some trail and error involved in this. There's two ways to do it.

#1. Use gut in the mains and poly in the crosses. This hybrid will be VERY different compared to what you're used to. If you really can't get used to the feel, you can cut it and not waste your time and go to poly mains and gut crosses. If you DO like it, then you can consider the same setup or even all gut next time.

The good thing about this is that you'd know immediately if natural gut in the mains is for you.

#2. Use poly mains and gut crosses. This setup will be a bit easier for you to change to because it's still quite stiff with the poly in the mains. It'll feel a bit like kevlar but much much easier on the arm and more power.

The good thing about this way is that you'd get a gut stringjob that takes the least amount of time/effort to get used to. The bad thing is, if you like this stringjob, you won't know if gut mains are for you. So if you do decide to try gut mains, and don't like them, you'll have to restring the poly mains, gut crosses stringjob again. This will waste a bit more time and effort and not to mention money.

As for the string to hybrid it with. I would use Luxilon BB Alu Power/ Luxilon BB Alu Power Rough if money wasn't a concern. It's pretty much the standard for poly's like the PSGD is standard for synthetics.

If money IS a concern, most people find Unique Big Hitter to match Luxilon BB Alu Power very well, and is a tad softer as well. This string is half the price.

Richie Rich
11-11-2005, 04:20 AM
gut in a POG will last you about 1 set if you are lucky. the open string pattern will eat the strings up. if you do want to try it at least hybrid the cross so you're not out so much cash.

POGforEver
11-11-2005, 07:19 AM
i think ill string one of my POGs gut mains and poly croess and the other way around on the other one so i dont compleatly ruin a good string job. another thing though, woudl string savers help at all to minimize the open string pattern ripping through the gut? thanks for your help everyone

Richie Rich
11-11-2005, 08:59 AM
i think ill string one of my POGs gut mains and poly croess and the other way around on the other one so i dont compleatly ruin a good string job. another thing though, woudl string savers help at all to minimize the open string pattern ripping through the gut? thanks for your help everyone

yes, stringsavers will help. put them in at the first sign of fraying or notching and will get longer life from your gut.

wouldn't advise putting gut in the cross with poly mains. waste of money. try gut mains and a syn gut cross first if you want to try a hybrid. polys lose tension too fast compared to gut so it will feel "off" when that happens.