PDA

View Full Version : Closest String to Natural Gut

dano
11-10-2005, 10:34 AM
I know it has probably been asked (many times) before here. But I just have to know.

What single string out there is the closest to natural gut, without being natural gut. I want a string with the same power as natural gut, the same feel, etc. However, I want a string that is easier to deal with, while stringing, than natural gut (what a pain it is to string with). Thanks.

Jerry Seinfeld
11-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Laserfibre Supernatural Gut is the closest to natural gut. Also closest in terms of cost.

ferrari_827
11-10-2005, 11:01 AM
I would say Tecnifibre NRG. NRG isn't quite as springy as gut, but has that smooth feel and pocketing. I can't say how long NRG lasts since I just got my racket strung with it.

E-matrix feels amazing for the first five to six hours, but not as smooth as NRG.

diredesire
11-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Laserfibre Supernatural Gut is the closest to natural gut. Also closest in terms of cost.
Yep, supernatural pro stock.

mctennis
11-10-2005, 04:11 PM
I tried this Laserfibre and I'm not so sure it plays like gut actually. I know it's quite expensive and for the price difference I just pay for gut instead. I think gut lasts longer and keeps its tension longer and more consistantly than synthetics. IMHO.

LudaKrisKG
11-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Technifibre NRG2

rich s
11-10-2005, 06:19 PM
TF X-One Biphase

NoBadMojo
11-10-2005, 06:41 PM
While I dont believe that anything synthetic approaches all the good elements of gut, I agree the NRG2 has many gutlike properties as does the Klip Excellerator.

matchpoint54
11-10-2005, 07:13 PM
I think Technifibre NRG2 is the most similar to gut.

NoBadMojo
11-10-2005, 07:33 PM
While NRG2 is crsip like gut, powerful like gut, spinny like gut, it doesnt hold tension anything approaching gut and the durablity is way less than gut...i does give you a nice gutlike response when freshly strung however....given all this a quality gut like BDE or Klip that isnt crazily priced like VS may be cheaper consdering the durabilty

Cruzer
11-11-2005, 09:26 AM
I know it has probably been asked (many times) before here. But I just have to know.

What single string out there is the closest to natural gut, without being natural gut. I want a string with the same power as natural gut, the same feel, etc. However, I want a string that is easier to deal with, while stringing, than natural gut (what a pain it is to string with). Thanks.

A string with the same feel and power as gut does not exist. I use gut in a couple of my racquets and multifilments in the other two racquets. TF Bi-Phase, TF NRG2, Wilson NXT, Babolat Xcel are all very good strings but there is a discernable difference from gut. I have not tried LF Supernatural simply because it is too expensive for a synthetic string For what it costs I will spend a few dollars more and buy gut and I know I will like it more.

ssjkyle31
11-11-2005, 11:09 AM
I think there are no synthetic string out that can have all the characteristic of natural gut. Some come close. I like NXT and NXT tour but loses tension fast. Babolat Xcell is a nice soft string but does not have the power like gut. Klip is ok but can be boardy at high tension.
So, I went the cheap way, PSG but lower the tension by 2lbs. It does not have the pocketing of natural gut but it is reasonable. I'll end up using natural gut in the spring or at least after the wet weather.

joe1987
11-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Tecnifibre NRG

Keifers
11-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Xcel certainly has the comfort of NG, as Babolat claims. But it is very muted in its feel and response, imo --nowhere as lively as gut.

netman
11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I want a string with the same power as natural gut, the same feel, etc. However, I want a string that is easier to deal with, while stringing, than natural gut (what a pain it is to string with). Thanks.

dano, Agree with all above there is no substitute for gut. However, you can hybrid gut (mains) with an inexpensive good syn gut like Gosen Sheep Micro (crosses) and keep the cost of the string job in the same range as an expensive multi. I bet it will last longer with better playability too.

I'm a rank amateur stringer and I can string gut mains (BDE Perf) and Gosen SM crosses with no problem. Cost of materials is $14 and it lasts me for upwards of 30-40 sets.

-k-