PDA

View Full Version : broken strings

arifed
11-11-2005, 03:13 AM
What do you break first? Mains or Crosses

SageOfDeath
11-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Most people usually break mains. I don't know how you can break crosses unless you hit with sidespin more than underspin and topspin.

SageOfDeath
11-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Most people usually break mains. I don't know how you can break crosses unless you hit with sidespin more than underspin and topspin. Or hit really flat.

JPlay_1723
11-11-2005, 11:43 AM
I break the crosses if i play with a multi. It happened with NXT and Livewire. With everything else the mains break.

jbs24
11-11-2005, 04:34 PM
another category can be "either".
I use a multi, and they seem to wear at the same rate, so it's been a toss-up as to which breaks first.

Prince_of_Tennis
11-11-2005, 04:56 PM
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/6125/tennisstring4nd.jpg

Crosses!, If you notice thats right smack in the middle =)

POGO
11-11-2005, 05:02 PM
http://tinypic.com/famtlw.jpg

armand
11-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Nice break there, PrinceofTennis. I was actually wondering if anyone has ever broken one of the 2 center most strings on the mains, because in all my years in tennis, I have never seen it happen.
And can anyone tell me how someone can break 3 strings at the same time?
BTW, I break crosses and I think the reason for that is because I serve much harder in comparison to any of my other strokes. Even my 2nd serve is a kicker with all my strength behind it.

splink779
11-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Crosses every time. Now it is more prevalent cause I use the poor man's hybrid (Syn Gut 16 crosses, Hurricane 18 mains). Hurricanes are so durable! It makes more sense that if u hit with a lot of spin, the crosses will break first, no? And the opposite if you hit flat. (I'm just guessing).

Tennis Ball Hitter
11-11-2005, 06:36 PM
When I had a kevlar/poly hybrid it was about 50/50 which went first. When They were about to go, the kevlar mains would have notches past half way and the poly crosses would be stretched extremely thin.

I only had pro hurricane/razor hi-lite [mains/crosses] once, the crosses snapped and the pro hurricanes did not even have notches.

most others the mains snapped. With the exception of a couple of string jobs way back which snapped before a set ... but I assume they were dodgy strings.

Tennis Ball Hitter
11-11-2005, 06:41 PM
For spinners
I assumed main were always first to go because they are the ones which move and wear out in the one spot [notches] whereas the wearing on the crosses is over a bigger area.

For flat hitters
Also due to the stringing process, I always though the mains were tighter than the crosses [as the crosses are strung second] which also leads me to conclude that mains should go first.

disregarding hybrids of course.

splink779
11-11-2005, 07:01 PM
When you apply spin, the ball rubs against more of the surface of the crosses (right along the strings). This wears the string down, they shred, and then they get thin and shred apart, or the mains push through and break the crosses.

Tennis Ball Hitter
11-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I seriously doubt the abrasiveness of ball on string is greater than the abrasiveness of string on string.

It is more likely the ball moves the main's causing friction between the mains and crosses. Since the main's are moving all the abrasive forces are centered on one spot of the mains [notches] and spread over a larger area on the crosses [crosses shread and get thinner]. BUT the notches on the mains will be where the thinnest string is and thus more prone to breakage.

ffrpg
11-12-2005, 10:16 AM
The first time I ever broke a string, it was a cross. I haven't broken one since...

TennsDog
11-12-2005, 01:09 PM
I have never met someone who regularly breaks crosses first. I broke cross strings first when I played with poly mains and softer crosses, but never when using the same kind of string. I have broken 3 strings several times and I broke 4 strings at once one time. I am not exactly sure how it happens. The especially weird thing is which strings broke: one just left of center, skip one, one just right of center, skip one, then two adjacent strings right of center (I know the sides don't matter, just helping to imagine it). That shot really surprised me...

POGO
11-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I seem to often break two main strings right around the middle of the string bed. I popped these two mains during the third set. These strings, Gosen Sheep Micro 16, were freshly strung the night before. I play with heavy spin and with very fast pace.

http://tinypic.com/fxqjw6.jpg

sw00sh
11-20-2005, 08:42 PM
mine broke in the crosses when i use Kirschbaum SSH 17g with Gosen OG Micro 17g. used to the mains when i was using kevlar hybrid.

Steve Huff
11-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Like JPlay, if I'm using a multifilament string, I break the crosses first. That's one of the reasons I usually use a hybrid. With nat. gut or a multi in the mains, I'll put a synthetic gut in the cross at about 3# lower tension.

dmastous
11-20-2005, 08:49 PM
I have to say I have played over 20 years and innumerable broken strings of tennis, and have never broken a cross string. I had NXT in my racquet, so I might have broken a cross there, but cut it out in favour of Thin Blend so I will probably continue that record.

Midlife crisis
11-20-2005, 09:14 PM
I've never ever broken a cross that I can recall, but my son just broke a set of Head multifilament strings and he broke a cross. On the other hand, I don't think my wife, in 30 years of playing, has ever broken a string and she hits pretty hard and flat.

dmastous
11-21-2005, 06:13 PM
I've never ever broken a cross that I can recall, but my son just broke a set of Head multifilament strings and he broke a cross. On the other hand, I don't think my wife, in 30 years of playing, has ever broken a string and she hits pretty hard and flat.
It's spin more than power that makes the strings move and causes them to break.
I've read that multifilament string (such as NXT) is more likely to break on the crosses than other strings.

Midlife crisis
11-21-2005, 09:01 PM
It's spin more than power that makes the strings move and causes them to break.
I've read that multifilament string (such as NXT) is more likely to break on the crosses than other strings.

In my other tennis life more than fifteen years ago, I don't remember there being any synthetic multifilament strings. It seemed to be either Victor Imperial gut or Leoina 66. Since I've started playing, I've only used NXT OS once, and I had to cut it out because it lost too much tension, otherwise only solid core strings, kevlar strings, or now my first poly string. The only time I've gotten close to breaking a main is on Problend, where the strings lasted so long they almost wore all the way through the crosses, but the mains notched and broke first.

ShooterMcMarco
11-21-2005, 09:19 PM
eversince i been playing with polys, its always been mains. when i used synthetic gut it was crosses most of the time

dancraig
11-22-2005, 12:07 AM
The mains break first for me.

POGO
11-22-2005, 05:03 AM
eversince i been playing with polys, its always been mains. when i used synthetic gut it was crosses most of the time
interesting. The two pics I posted, pog and maxply, shows two mains broken. Both have Gosen Sheep 16 syn. guts. I always break two mains. When I use polys I pop one main. The only time I would pop a cross is when I use a kevlar and syn. gut hybrid, where the main is kevlar and a more durable string than the syn. gut cross.

Steve Huff
11-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Midlife, a couple of early multi's (70's) were Vantage and Blue Star. Technifibre has been around for quite a while, but maybe not that long.

Midlife crisis
11-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Midlife, a couple of early multi's (70's) were Vantage and Blue Star. Technifibre has been around for quite a while, but maybe not that long.

I don't remember the Vantage, but I do remember the Blue Star. I think it was still in my Wilson Ultra II mid when I took it out a while back. From what I recall, it was really a pretty horrible string, which is why I used gut strings as often as I could afford.

It's really interesting to me that my preference now is for strings at the entire opposite end of the spectrum from gut, even though I don't play much differently than 15-20 years ago. I'm sure the racket technology has something to do with it, but that Ultra II mid was a pretty stout stick even back then, even though I'm now playing with a 78 stiffness racket.

modula2
11-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Hmm I've never broken the crosses before... strange..

TN1
11-23-2005, 09:46 PM
I've never broken a cross either. This is the most unique break I've ever had though. Happened last week.
http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/59/7074/1024/image0002.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/59/7074/1024/image0001.jpg

Matthew
11-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Anyone break a string and take a few more shots with the racquet? I tried it one time and it seems like after you break one, if you take a couple more swings you'll break like 5 more. I wonder why that is. Simple physics may hold the answer... but I hate physics.

StraightSets
11-24-2005, 02:01 AM
I regularily break the crosses.

doriancito
11-24-2005, 09:10 AM
i dont know how it is physically posible to break the crosses sine they do not work as uch as the mains with the ball impact

theace21
11-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Just a guess, but 95 percent of the rackets I restring have broken main strings. Now a bad gromment, or a bad mishit might cause a cross to break. It would be interesting if some high volume shop give their opinion...

michael2kul4u
11-24-2005, 10:46 PM
almost always mains, one time i popped 5 mains!! but usually its only 1 or 2

i've only popped crosses less than a hand full of times. even when i use kevlar, the kevlar pops before the crosses

SageOfDeath
11-24-2005, 10:59 PM
i dont know how it is physically posible to break the crosses sine they do not work as uch as the mains with the ball impact

I'm not a physics expert but I've seen it before someone broke it to believe it. The spot was so worn I think it was really just 50/50, which string was thicker, extremely worn out. I thought crosses saw through mains but maybe not.

Jetson
11-25-2005, 03:07 AM
Actually crosses, because I still looking for the best syngut there. For the mains PolyPlasma is winner.

Steve Huff
11-25-2005, 03:39 PM
When crosses break, it's usually they fray and break. In other words, it's not from a single hit. They just eventually get sawed through. Believe me, this is common with multifiliment strings.

PBODY99
11-26-2005, 06:31 AM

Hit a heavy slice serve with a multi, after many matches a string like Head Perfect control ( Made by Iso_speed) will most likely break at the cross.This has held true for the 5.5 50yo male player I string for. Same string 5.0 50's player who doesn't have that big slice, he pops mains. The 1st player uses a 18 x20 ncode 6.1 the second a Fischer pro 1.

The physic is straightforward, the crosses if they are of equal or greater hardness to the crosses, shave down the supporting string until they break

Mutli-string breaks on the mains, come from your big slice or topspin shots where you either, wear the string down to the breaking point because you are just that consistent in striking the ball in the same location on the string bed. Or if you are unlucky, on a high mishit towards the edge of the frame.

Pete Sampras would break a freshly strung frame on a serve or service return , even with picking up a newly strung stick of the balll change.

maddog2020
01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Anyone break a string and take a few more shots with the racquet? I tried it one time and it seems like after you break one, if you take a couple more swings you'll break like 5 more. I wonder why that is. Simple physics may hold the answer... but I hate physics.

The answer to this is the same as the answer to why two or three strings will break at once. Imagine you have a piece of rope that can hold a 99lb weight without breaking, but will break with 100lb. Then in order to hold a 350lb weight you would need 4 pieces of rope. All good. Now, what happens if you slowly saw through one of the pieces of rope (like a racquet string wearing)? Eventually this one rope will break, leaving only 3 ropes to hold more weight than their combined strength can hold, so the other 3 will break too.

In the case of a racquet string, the ball is in contact with 3 or 4 mains and 3 or 4 crosses simultaneously, so if one breaks, then the others have to sustain that much more instantaneous force, and so are likely to break too.

Ian

maddog2020
01-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I was actually browsing this thread trying to find an answer as to why the crosses ALWAYS break when I use NXT, but the mains ALWAYS break with any other string (even natural gut). I didn't find the answer, but I guess it has to be due to the multis being much less susceptible to structural failure sure to notching (mains notch as the slide over the crosses), and more susceptible to shredding.

If anyone has any more solid reason that this, I'd love to know. Not that it makes any real difference, jusy good to know these things.

Ian

devilish_duke
01-13-2006, 01:14 PM
I usually break crosses first due to my hybrid. I've broken a main a couple of times though.

bcsax123
01-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Crosses. Stupid Polylast broke when stringing it on a Prince More Response (No Grommets)
I always break crosses on my More Response, but break Mains on my POG OS

nViATi
01-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Strings notch pretty evenly so by the time that one string breaks the other ones are probably at the same level of wear