PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Tonic16 Tension vs 17Ga Multi?

shovel99
11-11-2005, 05:12 AM
I am going to try natural gut for first time in 30 years. Should I string it at the same tension I have been using for 17 guage Prince Original synthetic, or does natural gut typically need to be tighter or looser for the same playability?

I dont' want to blow $40 right out of the box with the wrong tension. I have found it often takes three or four tries to get tension right with a new string, and want to cut that down if possible. ;-).

Thanks,
Paul/shovel99

samster
11-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Use a hybrid and string at the same tension. Though there is more power with gut, there is also more control because of the cupping action (ie. ball seems to stay on the strings longer). Use the gut as mains to get maximal playability. Try some soft poly as crosses (klip k-boom 17, signum pro plasma 17) that way the strings don't move much.

shovel99
11-11-2005, 07:46 AM
A racquet I bought recently had poly in it and I didn't like it at all... don't think poly crosses would be my choice.

Any reason other than cost to do the crosses in something other than natural gut? Why not "go all the way" and adjust from there?

Thanks!

samster
11-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Sure, that would be fine too. The reason why I have the poly on the crosses is because you can get more spin. (I am sure there is some controversy about this as well). The two polys I mentioned above are quite soft. Why don't you start with the full gut job and go from there.

Cruzer
11-11-2005, 10:08 AM
I am going to try natural gut for first time in 30 years. Should I string it at the same tension I have been using for 17 guage Prince Original synthetic, or does natural gut typically need to be tighter or looser for the same playability?

I dont' want to blow $40 right out of the box with the wrong tension. I have found it often takes three or four tries to get tension right with a new string, and want to cut that down if possible. ;-).

Thanks,
Paul/shovel99

Firstly I am not a fan of watering down the gut experience using stiff-as-a-board polyester strings with it as suggested. If you have been using 17 guage POSG and get satisfactory durability from it there is no advantage to putting a polyester string in with gut. Among the the 3 or 4 racquets that I have in my bag at any one time the two that I have strung with gut are 1.5 to 2.0 pounds higher than my racquets with synthetic strings. I generally use 16 guage gut, sometimes 17 guage and generally 18 guage synthetics. I still get a little more power with the gut over the synthetics but that is the way I like it.